Allstate vs. State Farm: Which Is Better?
If you need home and auto insurance, you may be able to simplify the process and save money by bundling coverage with one insurance provider. But how do you choose a company from all the available options?
When deciding on the best insurance company, looking at the top carriers is a good start. State Farm is the largest insurer in the country with a 9.12% market share and over $66 billion dollars in policies. Allstate is the fifth-largest insurance carrier in the country, underwriting over $34 billion and maintaining a market share of 4.73%. This Allstate vs. State Farm comparison gives you a good understanding of what each carrier has to offer.
Allstate vs. State Farm Fast Facts
Both Allstate and State Farm have been around for quite some time. Plus, they’re both traditional insurers with physical offices and agents nationwide for personal service. Here’s more on how the two carriers compare.
|Headquarters||Northbrook, IL||Bloomington, IL|
|NAIC Complaint Rating||1.56 — above average complaints||2.58 — above average complaints|
|AM Best Rating||A+||A++|
|Number of agents/offices||83,600||19,000|
Allstate vs. State Farm: Types of Coverage
When it comes to coverage, each insurance company offers the most popular types of insurance such as home, auto, renters and life insurance. Take a closer look at the following comparison of the types of coverage available.
Vehicle insurance is available nationwide for the amount of coverage required by your state. In most states, the minimum requirement is liability insurance, although no-fault states such as Florida also require medical payments or personal injury protection. Here are the kinds of coverage you can buy from each carrier.
|Allstate Car Insurance||State Farm Car Insurance|
|Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage||X||X|
|Personal injury protection||X|
|Emergency roadside assistance||X||X|
Home and Renters Insurance
Besides vehicle insurance, both carriers offer coverage for your home, condo or rental. Here’s more on what’s available:
|Allstate Home and Renters Insurance||State Farm Home and Renters Insurance|
|Guest medical protection||X||X|
|Manufactured/mobile home insurance||X||X|
Allstate Optional Coverages and Riders
- Identity theft restoration
- Water backup
- Scheduled personal property
- Business property
- Sports equipment
- Green improvement reimbursement
- Yard and garden
- Electronic data recovery
- Musical instruments
State Farm Optional Coverages and Riders
- Scheduled personal property — personal articles
State Farm vs. Allstate Life Insurance
Life insurance can help you financially plan for loved ones after you pass. The most common type of coverage is term life insurance, which can be purchased for terms between five and thirty years. Permanent life insurance is also available in the form of whole, universal or variable coverage.
State Farm offers term, whole or universal life insurance. Allstate provides term, whole, variable and universal life insurance.
Allstate vs. State Farm Insurance Discounts
When it comes to saving on insurance, bundling coverage is hands-down the best way to save money on multiple types of insurance. It’s also far easier to manage all your insurance policies in one place. When comparing Allstate vs. State Farm, each carrier offers its own discounts to help policyholders save.
|Allstate Auto Discounts||Allstate Home/Renters Discounts||State Farm Auto Discounts||State Farm Home/Renters Discounts|
|Smart student||Responsible payment||Steer Clear®||Roofing material|
|New car||Claim-free||Drive Safe & Save||Home security|
|Anti-lock brake||Welcome and loyalty||Good driver discount|
|Anti-theft device||Early signing||Defensive driving course discount|
|Safe driving club||Protective device||Accident-free and good driving savings|
|Responsible payer discount||Auto pay||Vehicle safety|
|Early Signing||New homebuyer||Passive restraint|
|Pay In Full||Anti-theft|
Allstate vs. State Farm: Quotes
Getting a quote from Allstate or State Farm is easy. You can find out in minutes how much coverage you can purchase and get a price through the website by answering a few questions. If your insurance needs are more complex and you’d prefer to speak to an agent face-to-face, both carriers have agents and offices nationwide.
Allstate vs. State Farm: Mobile Apps
Both carriers have robust mobile apps that make it possible to manage your policies, pay bills, view insurance cards and even file claims using your phone’s camera to document the loss. Here’s more on each app:
Allstate Mobile App
Besides the functionality mentioned, downloading Allstate’s mobile app and enabling Drivewise can help you save on car insurance based on your driving habits using your phone’s GPS.
- Google Play: 4/5 stars, 91K reviews
- Apple Store: 4.8/5 stars, 776K reviews
State Farm Mobile App
The State Farm app allows you to make appointments with your local agent and integrates with Siri to open features using voice commands.
- Google Play: 4.8/5 stars, 99K reviews
- Apple Store: 4.8/5 stars, 510K reviews
Allstate vs. State Farm: Filing a Claim
Besides filing a claim through the mobile app, you can file a claim online or by calling the claims hotline 24/7:
- Allstate: Account login | 1-800-669-2214
- State Farm: Claims page | 1-800 732-5246
If you’re in the market for insurance, your best bet is to shop around for coverage to find the best options and rates. Two household names in the insurance industry are State Farm and Allstate. They’re two of the oldest carriers, insuring businesses and households for the last 100 years each. Of the two, State Farm is the largest carrier, but both companies offer comparable insurance products with a wide network of agents and offices nationwide.
When deciding between Allstate vs. State Farm, the best way to decide is by getting quotes from both. Don’t forget to take advantage of the carrier’s discounts to reduce your premiums — the small savings can add up over time.
- Who is State Farm's biggest competitor?
- State Farm is the largest insurance company based on premiums written. There are several insurance companies that can be considered the carrier's competitors, including Geico, Allstate, USAA and Farmers. The best way to determine what carrier is best for you is by comparing quotes and researching policyholder complaints and reviews.
- Is State Farm actually good?
- State Farm has been underwriting insurance policies for over 100 years. In addition, the company has an A++ rating from the credit agency AM Best, meaning the insurer is financially stable and capable of reliably paying out claims. When you also consider that the carrier is the largest in the country due to the number of policies it writes, it's safe to say that State Farm is recommendable.
- Is State Farm good at paying out claims?
- State Farm is generally good at paying out claims. The company scores above-average in the annual J.D. Powers Auto Claims Satisfaction study, a survey based on responses from policyholders of how the top insurance companies perform. State Farm ranks as sixth out of 19 insurance companies in the study, with a score of 892/1,000.
- As for its rating for home insurance, State Farm ranks fourth in J.D. Power's homeowners insurance study and third place for renters insurance.
- Is Allstate a good insurance company?
- Allstate has a long history of insuring homeowners, drivers and more. The company has a high score for financial stability, earning an A+ from AM Best. In addition, Allstate is highly-rated by customers who responded in J.D. Power's annual surveys, ranking #15 in the Auto Claims Satisfaction Study with a score of 870/1,000, sixth for renters insurance – 833/1,000 – and #11 for homeowners insurance – 829/1,000.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by Allstate or State Farm. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by Allstate or State Farm.
Our in-house research team and on-site financial experts work together to create content that’s accurate, impartial, and up to date. We fact-check every single statistic, quote and fact using trusted primary resources to make sure the information we provide is correct. You can learn more about GOBankingRates’ processes and standards in our editorial policy.