Hey Ladies: Don’t Miss Out on the Broke Boyfriend Tax Exemption

Hey Ladies: Don’t Miss Out on the Broke Boyfriend Tax Exemption

Female breadwinners of the household can save money when filing taxes this year with common — yet often misinterpreted — federal tax exemptions.

Federal tax exemptions are earnings that get subtracted from taxpayers’ adjusted gross income. Exemptions for dependents are often applied when claiming children or qualifying relatives as a dependent.

However, one question women fail to ask is: Can I claim my boyfriend as a dependent?

According to Publication 17 issued by the Internal Revenue Service, taking care of your broke boyfriend financially might entitle you to a $3,950 federal tax exemption.

While a boyfriend is traditionally not considered a “relative” under the definition by the U.S. government, a significant other maight be identified as a qualifying relative dependent if he meets all the requirements.

Related: How to Claim Your Adult Child on Your Taxes

Claim Dependent Rules: 4 Tests to Claim Your Boyfriend on Your Taxes

If you’re dishing out major funds to keep your boyfriend afloat, it’s time to get your fair share of the pie by claiming him as a dependent. However, not all living situations warrant this type of tax exemption.

To declare your boyfriend as a dependent, four tests must be successfully cleared to prove he is a qualifying relative. You must follow these claim dependent rules:

1. Non-Qualifying Child Test

This might seem like an odd test, but remember that the two categories under this exemption are for a “qualifying child” or a “qualifying relative.”

This test, in essence, prevents taxpayers from double-dipping by either claiming another taxpayer’s child or by claiming an individual in the home as both a child and relative.

Hopefully, in the case of your boyfriend, this qualifying relative test is one that passes with flying colors.

2. Relationship Test

Under the relationship test, your beau must have lived with you throughout the entire 2014 year as a member of the household. As a guide, allowing your boyfriend to crash on your couch on weekends does not classify him as a member of the household.

If he did, in fact, live with you as a member of the household, you’re one step closer to a $3,950 exemption. However, if your boyfriend was your legal spouse at any point last year, he is no longer eligible as a qualifying relative.

3. Income Test

The qualifying relative income test states that the dependent must have less than $3,950 in gross income. Publication 17 defines gross income as “all income in the form of money, property, and services that is not exempt from tax.”

With the gross income requirement so low, this is where many claims fall short. If you’ve managed to check-off this qualifying relative test, there is a strong chance for you to recoup your funds — as long as you meet the final test.

4. Support Test

The support test requires a bit of math to assess whether or not your boyfriend is eligible to be your qualifying relative.

To pass the support test, first determine the total support provided to your boyfriend. Items like food, lodging, clothing, education, medical expenses, transportation and recreation should all be accounted for in this figure. Shared items like food and lodging must be equally divided among all household members.

The next key step is to identify how much you’ve contributed to support your boyfriend. In order to successfully complete this test, the amount of support you provide must be more than half of his total support received.

Below is an example of the support test in action, provided by the IRS website:

Grace Brown, mother of Mary Miller, lives with Frank and Mary Miller and their two children. Grace gets social security benefits of $2,400, which she spends for clothing, transportation, and recreation. Grace has no other income.

Frank and Mary’s total food expense for the household is $5,200. They pay Grace’s medical and drug expenses of $1,200. The fair rental value of the lodging provided for Grace is $1,800 a year, based on the cost of similar rooming facilities.

Figure Grace’s total support as follows:

Fair rental value of lodging

$ 1,800

Clothing, transportation, and recreation


Medical expenses


Share of food (1/5 of $5,200)


Total support


Frank and Mary provide $4,040 (lodging, medical expenses and food) in support to Grace, which is more than half of her calculated total support of $6,440. In this situation, Frank and Mary — assuming they met the requirements of the first three tests — are within their right to claim Grace as a qualifying relative and receive the federal tax exemption.

Two Final Requirements to Claim Your Boyfriend When Filing Taxes

If your living situation with your significant other meets all four tests, you’re well on your way to getting a significant exemption when filing your taxes. However, always make sure you have legal proof to support your dependency exemption claim.

Alison Flores of The Tax Institute at H&R Block tells us:

“If you claim a deduction for a dependent, you should keep documents on hand to support your deduction. Documentation includes birth and marriage certificates showing your relationship to the dependent, records that show you had the same address or addresses, canceled checks or receipts for household expenses (such as food, utilities, and rent) and canceled checks or receipts for your dependent’s expenses (such as clothing, education, out-of-pocket medical, and recreation).”

Lastly, there are two final conditions that need to be satisfied in order to claim your boyfriend as a dependent. He must be a U.S. citizen and you cannot file taxes as a couple via a joint tax return.

Claiming your boyfriend as a qualifying relative is not only justified if you’re absorbing his living expenses, but it’s a practical move especially in an economy where every dollar counts.

Photo credit: Leah Jones

Share This Article

6 Tax Breaks for Pet Owners

How to Know If Itemized Deductions Will Get You a Bigger Refund

These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

  • southgapeach

    I using the H&R block online tax prep to do my taxes and it keeps saying that he doesn’t qualify. Guess I need to get a little more help with it this year because I feel positive he should qualify. He earned NO income, lived with me the entire year; I provided all expenses for him and even kept his son during the summer months!! I even helped him with some of his child support payments! The good news is he finally got his GED and is now picking up some odd construction jobs this year…it’s not much, but it’s a start:)

    • brokejoke

      Sounds like a winner

      • If the roles were reversed and a man was talking about a woman you wouldn’t have made that comment.

        • ShaZAM

          If the roles were reversed, he’d be making 33 cents more an hour than her for doing the same job.

          Do you REALLY want to go down that road?

  • where do you enter them and what to you enter them as, if I chose them as a dependant there is no option “Qualifying Relative” only son, daughter, neice, nefew, etc and “other” which adds nothing no $3700.. so how and what form should I chose since we meet all the test requirements.

    • Jennifer Calonia

      Hi Mike, I recommend speaking with a tax preparer to ensure that you claim your qualifying relative in the appropriate place on your tax forms.

    • Emily yates


  • Nicolas

    Are the the proceeds from the Sale of stocks included as gross income or only the difference (gain or loss) between the proceeds and the purchase price of the stocks?

  • Just wondering

    Is The Social Security Number Of The Boy Friend Required On The Tax Returnjust

  • Name

    Two questions for anyone — I have been unemployed for 3 years, and my only income has been withdrawing from my 401 k, more than the $3900, one year 5K, one year 7K. My qualified partner has paid for almost all my bills in this time. With my personal exemption putting my income below the max 3900 amount two years ago, do I qualify, and is it possible for my partner to go back two years to claim me?

  • Kristy Adams Brock

    I have a question?? My parents has had custody of my 3 kids till June 20, 2014! Me and my husband went to court on June 20,2014 and we was awarded custody back of our kids! My question would be who would have the right to claim the kids in the upcoming year in January of 2015?? Us or my parents since both of us will have had them for half the year??

  • Helping Out

    What about a gay adult friend who is disabled, waiting for a disability hearing, and moved in about two years ago. He has become part of the household.

  • Sydney

    Brilliant. Wish I had this info back when I had a broke boyfriend lol

Featured In: