Social Security: Use This IRS Form To Have Federal Income Tax Withheld

Mature middle-aged couple family wife and husband counting funds, savings declarations, investments,paperwork, financial documents, bankruptcy, court case, bills, pension with laptop. stock photo
Inside Creative House /

When you apply for Social Security benefits, you can request to have federal income taxes withheld from your payments. However, if you’re already receiving benefits or want to make changes, the Social Security Administration advises filling out Form W-4V from the Internal Revenue Service.

Social Security: Women Get $354 Per Month Less Than Men – Here’s Why
Learn: With a Recession Looming, Make These 3 Retirement Moves To Stay On Track
Do You Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Pro

Federal income taxes are typically paid on Social Security benefits if you have other substantial income in addition to your benefits, such as wages, self-employment, interest, dividends and other taxable income. You may have to pay federal income taxes on your Social Security benefits if you:

  • File a federal tax return as an individual. If your combined income is between $25,000 and $34,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50% of your benefits. If it’s more than $34,000, up to 85% of your benefits may be taxable.
  • File a joint return. If you and your spouse have a combined income that is between $32,000 and $44,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50% of your benefits. If it’s more than $44,000, up to 85% of your benefits may be taxable.
  • Are married and file a separate tax return, you may have to pay taxes on your benefits.

You can find and download Form W-4V on or call the IRS toll-free number at 1-800-829-3676 and ask for Form W-4V, Voluntary Withholding Request. If you’re deaf or hard of hearing, you can call 1-800-829-4059.

If you don’t have your federal income tax withheld from your benefits, you’ll be required to make quarterly estimated tax payments.

Take Our Poll: How Much of a Tax Refund Do You Expect in 2023?

Retire Comfortably

You’ll also need to select the percentage of your monthly benefit amount you want to be withheld. The SSA states that you can have 7, 10, 12 or 22 percent of your monthly benefit withheld for federal income taxes. Flat dollar amounts are not accepted.

Once the form is completed, return it to your local Social Security office by mail or in person. If you want to make any changes in the future, you’ll need to fill out a new Form W-4V.

More From GOBankingRates

Share This Article:

facebook sharing button
twitter sharing button
linkedin sharing button
email sharing button
Retire Comfortably

About the Author

Josephine Nesbit is a freelance writer specializing in real estate and personal finance. She grew up in New England but is now based out of Ohio where she attended The Ohio State University and lives with her two toddlers and fiancé. Her work has appeared in print and online publications such as Fox Business and Scotsman Guide.
Learn More


See Today's Best
Banking Offers