How To Cancel Your Planet Fitness Membership
Planet Fitness has branches all over North America and it’s convenient to sign up. But what if a current customer needs to cancel their Planet Fitness membership? Here’s how to get started closing your account to save money each month.
How To Cancel a Planet Fitness Membership in Person
Canceling a Planet Fitness membership in person is actually one of only two ways to do it. Here they are.
1. Visit Your Home Planet Fitness Location
This must be done at the customer’s home gym, and the home gym is whichever one they listed as their preferred location when signing up for the membership. Once customers make their intentions to cancel known to the home gym’s front desk staff, the staff member will give them a cancelation form to fill out. That seems simple enough, but here’s where it can get a bit complicated.
What Are the Benefits of Planet Fitness Black?
Planet Fitness members can work out in any Planet Fitness gym across the continent if they have a Planet Fitness Black membership. For example, even if a member’s home gym is in Oklahoma, if they’re on vacation in Mexico, they are free to use their Planet Fitness membership at a nearby club while they are on vacation.
If You Are Away from Your Home Gym
You must be at your home gym, which is where you first signed up, if you wish to cancel your membership. You cannot simply walk into any Planet Fitness to do so, even if the gym has your address, membership number and other information handy. This means that if a customer signed up for a membership in their university town but moves to a different city and uses a different Planet Fitness gym regularly, the one where they signed up is still their “home gym.”
This also means that if customers relocate for business, school, family reasons or any reason at all, the home gym does not change. In-person membership cancelations may only be done at the original home gym location customers chose when signing up for their membership initially Thankfully, canceling in person isn’t the only way a customer can close their account.
2. Cancel Your Planet Fitness Membership via Mail
Canceling a Planet Fitness membership in person may present an enormous challenge for some customers based on the reasons mentioned above: relocation, need to travel or just simple inconvenience. There is a way to cancel a Planet Fitness membership without physically sojourning to the location chosen as the home gym location.
Planet Fitness accepts cancelations by mail from members who wish to cancel their membership as long as that letter states that they wish to cancel the membership and includes their name, address, phone number and/or email along with their membership ID number.
Planet Fitness does prefer that members canceling their membership send the letter of intent to the home gym through certified mail, which means that when customers send the letter, they receive a receipt and then electronic confirmation that the letter arrived at its destination. This is simply a more official mail channel than sending the letter without any type of tracking and ensures that your cancelation arrives.
Can You Cancel Your Planet Fitness Membership Online?
Planet Fitness memberships cannot be canceled through email or anywhere online through the website. The flip side is that it is extremely easy to sign up for a Planet Fitness membership at the home gym of the customer’s choice through the website. Planet Fitness has more than 2,300 branches to choose from–prospective members can simply type in a city, ZIP code or country to select their home gym branch. Unfortunately, this courtesy does not extend to cancelations.
There are several reasons to sign up for a gym membership: motivation to head to a place dedicated to health, a sense of community while working out, specialized classes, personal coaches and more. However, there are also plenty of reasons why members of gyms might need to cancel their memberships. Perhaps finances are tight and all extra expenses need to be trimmed down. Maybe customers are simply too busy and simply work out at home more than at the gym.
If you think it might be time to move on from Planet Fitness, follow the steps in this guide to get started. In the meantime, you might want to think about other ways to get fit while also saving money.
FAQs on Canceling Your Planet Fitness Membership FAQAlthough the basic idea behind a checking account can be simple to understand, there are still many common questions surrounding them, in part because there are so many different kinds. Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding checking accounts.
- Will I be charged if I cancel my planet fitness membership?
- If the membership was for one year and a customer wishes to cancel before those 12 months have passed, then the member will be charged a $58 cancelation fee . There is a two-week grace period when signing up for a membership--if customers wish to cancel their newly acquired year-long membership, they can pay a reduced $25 cancelation fee.
- Why can’t I cancel my Planet Fitness account?
- Customers are not ever prevented from canceling membership accounts. It's just an inconvenient process that is most expediently completed by visiting the home gym in person and filling out a cancelation form at the front desk. This is counterintuitive from most accounts signed up for nowadays, since many things can be canceled online, over the phone or even via text message.
- Can I suspend my Planet Fitness membership?
- If there are certain circumstances that occur in members' lives, most often medical conditions, they can suspend their Planet Fitness memberships without penalty, usually for a few months. A doctor's note from a family physician or specialist will help to persuade the managers at Planet Fitness to suspend membership for a certain period of time without incurring any fees. Suspension and membership pause rules vary from club to club.
- Can I downgrade my membership?
- If you're a Planet Fitness Black cardholder, it's possible to save money by downgrading your account to a standard membership. To downgrade your account, consult with a club representative at your home gym and request to be reduced to normal card status. Keep in mind that downgrading your membership will cause you to lose access to PF Black benefits, such as the ability to use any club in the United States and beyond.