Contrary to popular belief, Cinco de Mayo isn’t Mexican Independence Day, but it’s still a good excuse to party. Established to celebrate the Mexican army’s defeat of France at the Battle of Puebla in 1862, the holiday is actually more popular in the U.S. than its country of origin.
As implied by its name, Cinco de Mayo falls annually on May 5. Many eating and drinking establishments honor the occasion by offering Cinco de Mayo specials, including restaurant coupons and festive freebies.
Score restaurant deals — including free food — by taking advantage of these great Cinco de Mayo deals.
Cinco de Mayo Specials on Food and Drinks
It’s not too hard to find food deals on Cinco de Mayo, especially at Mexican-themed restaurants, which you’ll obviously be visiting. Plan your eating and drinking for the day around these Cinco de Mayo specials:
- Abuelo’s: Sign up for Mi Abuelo’s Rewards to start earning one point for every dollar spent. You’ll also get a special offer just for joining the club.
- Avocados From Mexico: Explore GuacWorld for your chance to win prizes.
- Baja Fresh: Join the Club Baja mailing list and get a free taco just for signing up. The freebies don’t stop there, as you’ll also get a special treat on your birthday.
- Chevy’s Fresh Mex: Sign up for the eClub and you’ll get a free appetizer with two adult entrée. The chain is also hosting a special Cinco de Mayo party at several of its locations.
- Chuy’s: Enjoy three days of Cinco de Mayo deals at Chuy’s, running from May 4 through May 6. Check your favorite location’s Facebook page for information on drink specials and parties.
- Del Taco: Get a free Carnitas Street Taco with any drink if you’re part of the Raving Fan eClub. You’ll also get a premium shake on your birthday.
- Don Pablos: Sign up for the Habaneros Club and get a free order of nachos just for joining.
- Dos Caminos: Cinco de Mayo deals will be in abundance all weekend long at Dos Caminos. Enjoy live entertainment, giveaways, brunch specials and more at #CincoByDos. Plus, the New York City chain’s Times Square location will be open until 4 a.m. on both Friday and Saturday nights.
- El Pollo Loco: Download the El Pollo Loco app and join Loco Rewards to get a free entrée up to $7 with any regular-priced food or beverage purchase. You’ll also start earning points for every $1 you spend that you can cash in to get free food.
- El Torito: Join the El Torito eClub and you’ll get a free appetizer with two adult entrées.
- Freebirds World Burrito: Download the Freebirds app and get a regular order of chips and choice of dip with the purchase of an entrée. You’ll also earn one point for every $1 spent. Each point tier offers a different bonus, including a birthday reward and prizes like sunglasses and T-shirts.
- Mad Mex: Doors open at 9 a.m. for breakfast burritos, “Eggchiladas” and cornbread. Stick around for all-day drink specials, including $1 off Mexican bottles and cans, as well as 22-ounce Dos Equis drafts for $5. Games, giveaways and a chance to win Free Mex for a Year will take place throughout the day, along with happy hour from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Moe’s Southwest Grill: Register for the Moe’s Southwest Grill Rockin’ Rewards Program and receive a free order of nachos with the purchase of any regular or large drink. You’ll also get a free burrito on your birthday.
- On the Border: Get $5 Cinco Ritas at select locations.
- Pappasito’s Cantina: Dine on fajitas and margaritas all day on Cinco de Mayo. Order a Reserva Rita and get a commemorative keepsake glass exclusive to the holiday, while supplies last. Additionally, sign up for the e-club for your chance to be one of five people to win $100 in Pappas gift cards in honor of Cinco de Mayo.
- Red Pepper Taqueria: Enjoy live music and giveaways at the regional Mexican chain, while feasting on $4 tacos and a variety of drink specials, including $5 margaritas.
- Rubio’s: Get a free taco when you sign up for the Beach Club.
- Taco Bueno: Sink your teeth into a free taco when you join the Buenoheads club. You’ll also get a birthday surprise in your inbox.
- Taco Cabana: Sign up for the email list and get a free flame-grilled Chicken Fajita Taco for joining.
- Taco John’s: Join the rewards club and a free combo is all yours after eight purchases.
- Tijuana Flats: Become a Flathead and get a free Trio just for joining.
- Tio Juan’s Margaritas: Enjoy five days of Cinco de Mayo specials, including the chance to win a trip to the Mayan Riviera. Specific offers vary by location, but might include a tent party before, on and after the big day with live music, games, giveaways and discounts on food and drink.
- Qdoba: Earn points for every dollar you spend when you join the Qdoba rewards program. After 10 visits, you’ll receive $2 chips and queso or 100 bonus points every time you dine. After 25 visits, you’ll receive a monthly mystery perk.
These Cinco de Mayo specials allow you to celebrate Mexican heritage without spending all your pesos. Get free food and other discounts while enjoying the holiday with your friends.