Many retailers show appreciation to America’s service members on a daily basis, but May is also designated as Military Appreciation Month. Within this month is Armed Forces Day 2019, which falls on May 18. Your military ID is already useful for getting Veterans Affairs resources, but you can also use it to save money on everything from dining out to buying a car.
Keep reading to see the best military discounts that help service members and veterans save on dining out, apparel and more.
Military Discounts at Restaurants
Service members and veterans can take advantage of military discounts at national chain restaurants and food-related services, including free meals in some cases. Take advantage of these offers now:
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.: The Forrest Gump-inspired restaurant offers a 10% discount to all military patrons.
- Chuck E. Cheese: The anthropomorphic mouse offers military families a discount.
- Cicis: Many of the pizza buffet locations have discounts for service members, according to the Cicis website.
- El Pollo Loco: Guests who serve the community, which also includes military members, can take 15% off of their meal.
- The Greene Turtle: Military members can take 15% off their Greene Turtle meal all day, every day.
- Home Town Buffet: Active-duty and veteran military can take a 15% daily discount off their meal, plus further discounts for their family on Military Mondays.
- Old Country Buffet: As a token of this restaurant’s appreciation for military folk, you can take 15% off of your meal.
- Outback Steakhouse: The steak chain offers armed forces members, along with police, firefighters and first responders, 10% off their meal.
- Ryan’s: Buffet enthusiasts can enjoy a 15% daily discount off of their dining experience.
- Texas de Brazil: Service members can expect a nice 20% discount with a valid ID.
- Texas Steakhouse & Saloon: Patrons with a valid military ID can expect to take 10% off their meal.
- TGI Fridays: TGI Fridays will have a Memorial Day deal for 15% off family meal boxes and 15% off platters.
Hack the Menu: How to Get the Best Deals for Any Dinner Out
Military Discounts on Retail and Apparel
From local shops to national chains, stores offer special prices on clothing, accessories and more for veterans and active-duty military personnel year-round. Get some great discounts from these participating retailers:
- 1-800-Flowers.com: Active-duty military and veterans can save 30% on floral arrangements using promo code VETERAN4 and their Veterans Advantage card member ID.
- 7-Eleven: The convenience store chain lets members rack up thousands of bonus points through the Veterans Advantage program.
- Bass Pro Shops: Eligible military members receive a 5% discount every day on select products and Cabela’s gear with a valid military ID.
- Big 5 Sporting Goods: Active-duty and reserve military personnel, retirees and veterans receive a 10% discount on their in-store purchases.
- Cabela’s: Like Bass Pro, Cabela’s offers military shoppers a 5% discount year-round.
- Champion: Military personnel and veterans get 10% off.
- Coleman: Shoppers who enroll in Veterans Advantage will receive a special link for a 35% discount on their Coleman purchase, plus free shipping on orders over $49.
- CVS: Military members can save up to 20% off their CVS.com purchase through the Veterans Advantage program. This discount can be combined with promo codes for even more savings.
- Foot Locker: Qualified military personnel can get a 20% discount on most purchases on the Foot Locker site.
- Guess: Guess what? You can save 30-50% off select styles at GUESS through Memorial Day Weekend.
- Marciano: Save further on Marciano’s clearance section with a 30% discount during Memorial Day Weekend.
- Mattress Firm: You have until May 27 to take advantage of mattress discounts, for savings of up to $700 plus 0% APR financing for six years.
- Michaels: Get 15% off your purchase — including sale items — every day with a military ID.
- Modsy: You can save 20% on all Modsy design packages from May 20 through May 27.
- Nest Bedding: The bed-in-a-box retailer is offering customers offering $100-$200 off select mattresses plus a free pillow. This dreamy deal is available from May 20 to June 3.
- Nike: Receive a 10% discount when shopping the Nike website and at Nike stores as an eligible military member or veteran.
- Rove Concepts: You take advantage of Rove’s early Memorial Day sale right now and save up to 30%.
- Sam’s Club: Sam’s Club offers military members a $10 gift card when they sign up for its membership program.
- TacticalGear.com: The tactical retailer offers military members a 10% discount.
- Target: The retailer is offering a 10% military discount on $70 purchases made online through the VetRewards program.
- Under Armour: For eligible military personnel, veterans and first responders, the retailer offers a sitewide 10% discount with verification.
Military Discounts on Travel, Attractions and Recreation
From local theaters to theme parks, museums and resorts, venues of all kinds offer discounts for veterans and active-duty military personnel. These deals offer ways to spend less:
- 9/11 Memorial & Museum: Veterans and active military receive free museum admission with a valid ID.
- Amtrak: Veterans can save 15% if they live in California — and at least 1.5 million do.
- Aquarium of the Pacific: Present your military ID card at the ticket window to receive $3 off adult admission and $1.50 off child admission.
- Best Western Hotels & Resorts: Veterans and active members enjoy discounts at or below per diem at Best Western locations in North America.
- Cinemark: Service members can see a movie for less with a valid ID at participating theaters.
- Enterprise: Enterprise offers discounts on its car rentals for those in the military community.
- Greyhound: Veterans Advantage cardholders receive 10% off tickets purchased online or at a Greyhound station.
- Harley-Davidson Museum: The museum offers discounted admission for veterans and active-duty military.
- Hotwire: You can save 10% off current Hot Rate hotel deals by using promo code GETAWAY10. Valid from May 22 to May 24.
- Knott’s Berry Farm: Veterans and active-duty military can receive discounted admission to the theme park for as low as $50.
- Legoland Florida Resort: Active-duty members can receive free admission to the Legoland Florida Resort while their families and veterans save 10% on tickets. You can also save up to 25% on Legoland Hotel rates with a valid military ID.
- The National WWI Museum and Memorial: The museum in Kansas City, Missouri, offers military members discounted admission at $10 per ticket.
- SeaWorld San Diego: The theme park offers free admission to active-duty military guests.
- Six Flags: Present a valid military ID at the guest services center to receive 20% off a one-day admission ticket.
- World of Coca-Cola: Military members receive complimentary admission and a 10% discount on photo imaging packages. However, regular admission rates apply to their families or other guests.
For more ways to save, keep reading to find out how to get a discount every time at your favorite stores.
More on Money
- How to Save Money Fast: 3 Ways to Save $1K in a Month
- 3 Counterintuitive Ways to Manage Your Money and Emotions
- 12 Essential Money Tips for Every Phase of Your Financial Life
- Why You Shouldn’t Give Up Life’s Little Luxuries According to a Money Psychologist
Jodi Thornton-O’Connell contributed to the reporting for this article.
Deals and offers are subject to change.