Martin Luther King Jr. Day, observed on the third Monday of January each year, is a federal holiday marking the birthday of civil rights hero Martin Luther King Jr. Like many banks, the stock market is often closed on federal holidays.
Is MLK Day one of the holidays observed by the stock market? Keep reading to find out.
Is the Stock Market Open on MLK Day?
While the market generally remains open on most days, you can expect the stock market to remain closed on MLK day 一 just like the rest of the major federal holidays.
The regular working hours for the New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq are 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday. The markets remain closed on the weekends. Stock market holidays are weekdays when the New York Stock Exchange, Nasdaq and bond markets close for the day.
It is common for the stock market to remain open on some holidays while the bond markets close for the day or are closed early. The bond markets are closed on some additional days that the stock market is not.
Stock Markets Closed on Federal Holidays
The stock and bond markets tend to close on all federal holidays, and regular trading resumes the day after.
Usually, when a national holiday falls on a weekend, the closures are adjusted accordingly. For holidays on a Saturday, the markets are closed on Friday. If the holiday happens on Sunday, then the markets are to be closed on that following Monday.
The U.S. stock and the bond markets have working days similar to banks. They remain closed for federal holidays and resume normal operations the following day. It is important to note that the holiday schedule for the stock exchange markets is slightly different from that of the bond markets.
Stock Exchange Markets Holiday Schedule for 2023
If you’re wondering what holidays the stock exchange market will be closed on, the following list will shed some light. This way, you’ll know when you can take a break from your computer or phone screen until regular trading resumes.
The stock market is typically closed on nine holidays every year, while the bond markets remain closed for an additional two holidays.
Stock exchange markets are closed on:
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- New Year’s Day
- Good Friday
- Presidents’ Day
- Independence Day
- Memorial Day
- Labor Day
The bond markets additionally close on:
- Columbus Day
- Veterans Day
Holiday Schedule 2023: All Markets
|New Year’s Day
|Monday, January 2 (Observed)
|Martin Luther King Jr. Day
|Monday, January 16
|Monday, February 20
|Friday, April 7
|Monday, May 29
|Monday, June 19 (Observed)
|Tuesday, July 4
|Monday, September 4
|Thursday, November 23
|Black Friday; closed early at 1 p.m.
|Friday, November 24
|Monday, December 25
Additional Holidays for Bond Markets 2023
|Thursday, April 14
|Friday Preceding Memorial Day; closed early at 2 p.m.
|Friday, May 27
|Monday, October 9
|Friday, November 11
|Christmas Eve; closed early at 2 p.m.
|Monday, December 23 (Observed)
|New Year’s Eve, closed early at 2 p.m.
|Friday, December 30 (Observed)
Good To Know
Stock exchange and bond markets are usually closed on weekends and major federal holidays. The bond markets have a slightly different schedule from the stock exchange markets, in that they close for additional holidays or close early on some of them while the stock exchange markets observe regular working hours
The stock market remains closed on major federal holidays, and Martin Luther King Day is no exception. When the stock market is closed on MLK day, it will typically open the day after, provided that it’s not on the weekend. Knowing whether the stock market is open or not on MLK Day is vital for any investor or trader.
Stock Market Holiday Hours FAQHere's more on when the stock market expects to be closed or open on holidays.
- Is the stock market open on Maundy Thursday?
- On April 14, 2022, the Thursday before Good Friday, the stock market observes regular working hours.
- Is the stock market open on Columbus Day?
- The NYSE and Nasdaq are fully operational on Columbus Day, while the bond markets are closed for the holiday.
- Is the stock market open on Veterans Day?
- Like Columbus Day, the bond markets are closed on Veterans Day. However, the stock exchange markets remain fully operational during regular hours.
- Is the stock market open on Black Friday?
- The day after Thanksgiving, November 25th, the stock markets close earlier than usual at 1 p.m., while the bond markets close at 2 p.m.
Our in-house research team and on-site financial experts work together to create content that’s accurate, impartial, and up to date. We fact-check every single statistic, quote and fact using trusted primary resources to make sure the information we provide is correct. You can learn more about GOBankingRates’ processes and standards in our editorial policy.
- National Today. 2022. "Martin Luther King, Jr. Day."
- New York Stock Exchange. "Holidays and Trading Hours."
- Nasdaq. 2021. "Stock Market Trading Hours: What Time Is the Stock Market Open Today?"
- AARP. 2021. "Stock Market Holidays 2022: Are NYSE and Nasdaq Open?"
- Yahoo Finance. 2021. "Is the Stock Market Open on New Year's Eve 2021?"
- Time and Date. "Maundy Thursday in the United States - Holidays."