How To Sell on Mercari: Your Guide
Mercari is a popular online marketplace that makes it easy for users to buy and sell new and gently used items. Learn how to sell on Mercari and tips for success below.
Read: With a Recession Looming, Make These 3 Retirement Moves To Stay on Track
How To Sell on Mercari
Follow these steps to start selling on Mercari:
- Sign up: Go to Mercari’s website and sign up for an account.
- List your items: Three tips to keep in mind when you are listing your items are to take good photos, describe the item thoroughly and price fairly.
- Wait for a purchase: Getting your first purchase may take some time so be patient.
- Package your items: Be sure to securely package the items you sell to avoid any damage during shipping.
- Ship your items: Ship the items to the buyer within three business days of the purchase date. Don’t forget to sign in to your Mercari account and confirm that you have shipped the product.
- Get paid: The buyer has three days from the date they receive the item to confirm the item is as advertised. Once the buyer approves the item or the three-day period expires, Mercari will ask you to rate the buyer and deposit the money from the sale into your Mercari account. From there, you can request a transfer to your bank account or use the money from the sale to purchase items on Mercari.
What Can You Sell on Mercari?
Mercari advertises itself as a place to buy and sell nearly anything, and that’s not just a tagline — the marketplace is so broad it’s easier to describe what you can’t sell. Those items include:
- Items that are deceptive or fraudulent.
- Items that may threaten Mercari’s reputation.
- Products you can’t typically use a bank card or electronic funds transfer to pay for.
- Items that result in significant risk of chargebacks, damages, harm, liability or penalties.
To put it simply, if the product is not illegal or likely to cause harm, chances are you can sell it on Mercari.
How Much Does It Cost To Sell Items on Mercari?
All major online marketplaces charge seller fees. So, the fact that Mercari does, too, isn’t surprising. Here are some of the fees you may face.
- Listing fee: You won’t pay a penny to list your items on Mercari.
- Completed sale fee: You will be charged a minimum of 10% of the total price for each completed transaction. Unfortunately, the company doesn’t offer a maximum fee. Although it’s highly unlikely, this means the company could take 100% of the proceeds from the sale.
- Payment processing fee: You’ll also pay $0.50 plus 2.9% of the total value of the transaction as a payment processing fee.
- Direct deposits: Mercari offers free direct deposits if the total is over $10. If it’s under $10, you’ll pay a $2 fee. You’ll also pay a $2 fee if your direct deposit is rejected by your financial institution.
- Instant Pay: To have access to your funds instantly, you will pay $2 per transfer.
Does Mercari Offer Seller Protection?
Yes, Mercari does offer seller protection. That protection includes:
- Get paid guarantee: As long as you deliver the items you sell on time, and as described, Mercari guarantees it will pay you for the item.
- Shipping protection: If shipping causes damage to your item, Mercari will help cover the cost. The company offers $200 in coverage for transit-related damages with each sale.
- No face-to-face meeting: When you sell on Mercari, the platform never requires you to meet customers face-to-face. This adds to the level of safety you enjoy when you sell on Mercari.
Is It Worth It To Sell on Mercari?
When you sell on Mercari, you’re selling to an audience that’s interested in a steep discount but if it is worth it will come down to personal preference. The website’s home page advertises prices up to 70% below retail. That may be fine with you, especially if you’re selling used goods you just want to get rid of. On the other hand, if you’re looking for a way to sell products you manufacture, you may have a hard time producing significant margins while meeting Mercari’s pricing expectations.
What Is the Trick To Selling on Mercari?
The best tricks to selling on Mercari are to follow Mercari’s advice. Those tricks include:
- Take good pictures: Customers are more likely to buy your products when they can see them clearly.
- Describe your item fully: Take time to ensure that your product description tells potential buyers exactly what the item is and what it can do for them.
- Price fairly: Look at other similar listings to determine a fair price for your items.
Selling your gently used items on Mercari is an excellent way to earn extra cash and declutter your home. Head over to Mercari today to get started.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.