Highest Paying Side Hustles of Summer 2022
If the high cost of gas, groceries and living expenses is squeezing your budget, you could probably use an additional income stream. The right side hustle can earn you decent money in your spare time.
Here are 11 easy side hustle ideas to start this summer. See if one of these ideas can help you put a little wiggle room into your budget.
11 Side Hustle Ideas Ideal for Summer
Several opportunities exist if you want to start a side hustle in 2022. Choose one you enjoy that provides good earnings and hours.
Check out these profitable side gigs that could help hustlers make an extra $500 to $1,000 a month — or more.
1. Try Housesitting
- Skills required: Following written and verbal instructions, good communication, customer service
- Potential earnings: $36/hour
- Where to get started: TrustedHousesitters
- Long-term prospects: Now that people are vacationing once again, you should be able to find ample housesitting opportunities depending on where you live. Housesitting gigs are ideal for remote workers.
2. Start a Pet Sitting Service
- Skills required: Following written and verbal instructions, comfortable caring for a variety of animals
- Potential earnings: $16/hour
- Where to get started: Rover, Petsitter, Fetch, Care.com
- Long-term prospects: People will always have pets that need care, so you shouldn’t run into a shortage of pet sitting positions.
3. Be a Local Tour Guide
- Skills required: People person, strong knowledge of your area
- Potential earnings: $22/hour
- Where to get started: Tours By Locals, set up a personal or business website
- Long-term prospects: If you live in a town that attracts tourists, you should be able to find business year after year.
4. Resell New and Used Goods
- Skills required: Ability to assess the resale value of new and used goods, computer access, writing product descriptions
- Potential earnings: $33/hour
- Where to get started: eBay, Poshmark, Decluttr
- Long-term prospects: As long as online marketplaces exist, online resellers will have plenty of customers looking to buy.
5. Become a City Guide Writer
- Skills required: Knowledge of grammar, ability to write engaging content from a unique perspective
- Potential earnings: $24/hour
- Where to get started: Contact local real estate, tourism, magazine and newspaper businesses
- Long-term prospects: Realtors and businesses that rely on tourists always need new website content to attract people to the area or their business.
6. Rent Out Your Home or a Room
- Skills required: Second home or spare room, customer service, cleaning
- Potential earnings: Around $900 per month on average
- Where to get started: Airbnb, VRBO
- Long-term prospects: Not all travelers like hotels. As long as you provide a good experience for your guests and have the extra space, you should have good earnings for years to come.
7. Provide Pressure Washing Services
- Skills required: Attention to detail, customer service, pressure washer
- Potential earnings: $15/hour
- Where to get started: Advertise your services on Craigslist and post flyers on community bulletin boards
- Long-term prospects: Pressure washing is one of those regular home maintenance tasks people are more than willing to pay someone else to do.
8. Be a Disc Jockey
- Skills required: Entertaining people, music equipment, speakers
- Potential earnings: $23/hour
- Where to get started: Advertise your services on Craigslist and at party venues in your town
- Long-term prospects: Between corporate events, birthday parties and weddings, it’s possible to find enough side gigs as a DJ to make a good living.
9. Sell Stock Photos
- Skills required: Phone with a camera or stand-alone camera, ability to take quality photos, determine the types of stock photos in demand, photo editing
- Potential earnings: $19/hour
- Where to get started: Shutterstock, Adobe Stock, iStock
- Long-term prospects: Just about every type of business needs stock photos for websites, brochures and advertising.
10. Become an Online Tutor
- Skills required: Ability to teach in a subject area that often involves tutoring
- Potential earnings: $25/hour
- Where to get started: TutorMe, Tutor.com, Preply, Wyzant
- Long-term prospects: School will be back in session soon and tutors will always be needed to help students stay on track or get ahead.
11. Be a Babysitter
- Skills required: Good with children, able to follow written and verbal instructions
- Potential earnings: $17/hour
- Where to get started: Care.com, Sittercity, UrbanSitter
- Long-term prospects: Watching kids is not just a job for teens. Parents are always looking for a trustworthy, reliable person to help care for their kids.
You may be starting a side gig to offset the price increases you’re experiencing, but a side hustle is good in any economy. It can provide extra money for a financial goal and some income if you find yourself between jobs. If you don’t find that any of these side hustle ideas match your skills, get creative and determine how you can make extra money doing something you do well for which people are willing to pay.
FAQHere are some answers to common questions about side hustles and earning potential.
- What is a good side hustle?
- A good side hustle is one that is worth your time and that you can work around your schedule. This will be different for everyone.
- How can I make $1,000 on the side?
- How can I make $2,000 on the side?
- Earning an extra $2,000 on the side might not be easy, but it can be done. Assess your skills and choose a side hustle that is in high demand and pays reasonably well. Depending on where you live and your skills, this could be anything from getting paid as a local tour guide to writing content for websites.
- What is the highest paid side hustle?
- While there are no statistics on the highest paying side hustle, some side hustles can earn more than a full-time job. Some of the side hustles that are currently popular include renting out space in your home, selling print-on-demand products and freelancing.
Information is accurate as of July 22, 2022.
Our in-house research team and on-site financial experts work together to create content that’s accurate, impartial, and up to date. We fact-check every single statistic, quote and fact using trusted primary resources to make sure the information we provide is correct. You can learn more about GOBankingRates’ processes and standards in our editorial policy.
- Entrepreneur. 2022. "10 of the Most Profitable Side Hustles You Can Start With Little or No Money."