The rise in gas prices has led to a spike in interest in electric vehicles (EVs). From February 2022 to March 2022, CarMax received 1.5 times the search volume for the term “electric” — around the same time gas prices hit their new high.
And even before gas prices reached their new levels, consumers had been gaining interest in EVs. According to 2021 data from the Pew Research Center, 40% of non-EV owners are very or somewhat likely to purchase an EV as their next vehicle.
The cost of buying a new EV can be a barrier to entry, but fortunately, you can get (slightly) lower prices on used EVs. Here’s how much you can expect to pay for the most popular used electric vehicle models.
1. Tesla Model 3
- Average CarMax used vehicle price: $49,440
2. Nissan Leaf
- Average CarMax used vehicle price: $21,447
3. BMW i3
- Average CarMax used vehicle price: $21,455
4. Chevrolet Volt EV
- Average CarMax used vehicle price: $27,416
5. Tesla Model X
- Average CarMax used vehicle price: $89,194
More From GOBankingRates
- Social Security: New Bill Could Give Seniors an Extra $2,400 a Year
- Get Top Holiday Shopping and Savings Tips
- 5 Things You Must Do When Your Savings Reach $50,000
- 10 Things to Do Now If Your Credit Score Is Under 700
All prices are sourced from CarMax and are accurate as of May 16, 2022.