Citizens Bank is a Providence, Rhode Island-based financial institution with 1,000 locations throughout New England, the mid-Atlantic and parts of the Midwest. Like many banks, Citizens Bank offers enticing cash bonuses to attract new customers, though many people still don't take advantage of these offers.
A GOBankingRates survey found that many Americans are missing out on free money from banks. More than 75% of the participants said they didn't research or compare banks before opening an account.
In doing so, they lost a chance to pocket extra cash. You can avoid that mistake by checking out the latest Citizens Bank promotions.
- Current Citizens Bank Promotions
- Past Citizens Bank Promotions
- How To Save Money With a Citizens Bank Account
- How To Open a Citizens Bank Account
- Is Citizens Bank Worth a Second Look?
Citizens Bank is a full-service bank that provides a variety of checking, savings, loan and other products for individuals and businesses. Here's a closer look at the current Citizens Bank promotion:
|Best Citizens Bank Promotion: August 2020|
|Account||Cash Value of Bonus||Expiration Date|
|Your Home Rewards from Citizens Bank||$6,500||None|
Compare: Best Regional Banks of 2020
The only promotion currently available at Citizens Bank is a bonus for customers who sign up for and use the bank's home buying program. Depending on where you live, you can earn a substantial bonus if you're ready to buy or sell a home.
If you're buying or selling a home, you might be eligible for cash back. To qualify, you'll need to sign up with Your Home Rewards from Citizens Bank. The amount of your bonus is based on the sales price of the home. No Citizens Bank coupon code is required to redeem the bonus.
- Cash value: Up to $6,500
- Availability: Offer is not available in Alaska, Iowa, Louisiana or Missouri. Some home buyers in Mississippi, Oklahoma and Oregon may not qualify.
- Minimum deposit to qualify: N/A
- Expiration date: None
- How to get it: Sign up for Your Home Rewards from Citizens Bank and get matched with a real estate agent and loan officer. Next, purchase or sell your home with the realtor's or loan officer's assistance.
- When you'll get it: Reward will be sent within 45 days of closing.
- Terms and conditions: Reward is valid for 18 months after enrolling in Your Home Rewards. The reward might be limited in certain states. FHA and VA loans do not qualify for this offer.
- Monthly fees: N/A
- Promotion page: Your Home Rewards from Citizens Bank bonus offer
These expired promotions can give you an idea of Citizens Bank bonuses and how they work. You might even see similar promotions popping up in the future.
Citizens Bank has four checking account options, two of which earn interest. For this promotion, new customers earned a $300 bonus for opening a checking account and meeting the requirements. Here are the details:
- Cash value: $300
- Expiration date: Expired
- How to get it: This promotion required customers to open a checking account by clicking the promotional page link and then make one direct deposit of $500 within 60 days.
Citizens Bank offers three savings accounts, all of which earn a small amount of interest. Here are the details of a previous Citizens Bank savings account promotion:
- Cash value: $200
- Expiration date: Expired
- How to get it: Customers were instructed to open a savings account by clicking a promotional page link and then maintain the $15,000 opening balance for a set period of time.
Citizens Bank also paid customers a $100 bonus when they opened both a checking and savings account. Here are the details:
- Cash value: $100
- Expiration date: Expired
- How to get it: Customers were required to open a checking and savings account and complete qualifying activities.
One way you can save money at Citizens Bank is to meet requirements that waive monthly maintenance fees. Unlike other banks that place restrictions of what qualifies as a direct deposit to waive fees, Citizens Bank doesn't require a direct deposit for this perk.
Existing customers also enjoy discounts on loans when they set up automatic payments.
More on Citizens Bank: Simple, Low Cost Banking
Opening a Citizens Bank account is simple. You can visit a local branch or, if you're at least 18 years old, follow these steps to apply online:
- Visit the new account page.
- Enter your Social Security number.
- Provide your driver's license or state ID information.
- Enter your contact information.
- Fund your account via debit card or by using your routing number and bank account number to transfer money.
Everything You Need To Know: How To Open a Bank Account Online
Citizens Bank has a variety of bank account options, most of which are low-cost or fee-free if you follow the minimum balance or deposit requirements. In the past the bank has offered generous bonuses for new account holders.
If you want a bonus for opening a new account, you probably want to wait until they're being offered again or consider other banks that are currently offering promotions.
Rates, offers and requirements are subject to change.
This content is not provided by Citizens Bank. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by Citizens Bank.
This article has been updated with additional reporting since its original publication.