Selling on Facebook Marketplace is an easy way to pick up extra cash. As with Craigslist, you can list items on Facebook Marketplace for free. The platform allows users to sell and ship items to anyone in the U.S. But how can you get started selling on Facebook Marketplace? Keep reading to learn more.
What Is Facebook Marketplace?
Facebook Marketplace is a feature of Facebook that enables users to buy and sell products locally or nationally. Users can buy and sell pre-owned and new items, and filter their results by category, price and location.
As with Craigslist and eBay, Facebook users can buy and sell almost anything. Facebook does exclude the sale of some items on the platform, as listed in Facebook Marketplace’s commerce policy.
Facebook users can access Facebook Marketplace online or via the Facebook mobile app.
How To Sell on Facebook Marketplace
You must have an active Facebook account to sell on Facebook Marketplace. If you don’t have a Facebook account, you can create one by selecting “Create Account” on Facebook’s website or app.
How To Sell on Facebook Marketplace: Step by Step
To create a Facebook Marketplace listing, follow these steps:
- Log in to Facebook and select “Marketplace.”
- Select “Create new listing.”
- Select “Item for Sale.”
- Enter the following information:
- Up to 10 photos of the item
- A title for the listing
- The price of the item — enter 0 to list the item for free
- The category and subcategory in which the item best fits
- The item’s condition: new, like new, good or fair
- A description of the item
- Click “Next.” If the button is grayed out, one of the required fields is missing information.
- Enter the following information on the “Delivery method” screen:
- The delivery method: shipping only, local pickup only or both options
- The shipping method: prepaid USPS label or seller-created label
- Any other fields as prompted
- Click “Next.”
- Select any Buy and Sell groups to post the listing in additional areas of Facebook.
- Click “Publish” to make the listing live.
What Does It Mean To Boost a Marketplace Listing?
When setting up a listing, you can opt to boost the listing. For a fee, Facebook will show the listing as an advertisement in users’ feeds and other locations on Facebook.
What Is a Facebook Buy and Sell Group?
A Facebook Buy and Sell group is a regular Facebook group in which members can buy from and sell to others within the group. Items listed in Buy and Sell groups do not appear in the Marketplace, but you can add items listed in the Marketplace to Buy and Sell groups.
How Payment and Delivery Work on Facebook Marketplace
When selling locally, sellers get paid by buyers directly when the item is picked up. When sellers must ship items, Facebook uses a payment processing service to facilitate the transaction. As the seller, you can choose to buy a prepaid USPS label through Marketplace or create your own label and ship through a preferred shipper.
On Marketplace, the buyer pays the shipping costs. Facebook charges the seller a 5% selling fee for shipped items that sold for more than $8 and a flat $0.40 fee for shipped items sold for $8 or less. This fee is meant to cover the cost of payment processing and purchase protection. Starting July 1, Facebook will remove this fee and charge a standard processing fee, intended to cover only processing costs.
If you choose to use a prepaid label for shipping, you will receive an email with a printable USPS label. You have three days to ship the package, whether using a prepaid label or creating your own.
How To Set Up Shipping on Facebook Marketplace
To use the shipping feature on Facebook Marketplace and receive processed payments from Facebook, you must first set up your payment information. The first time you create a listing and select “shipping” as a delivery method, you will be prompted to provide the following information:
- Your legal name
- Date of birth
- Bank account information, including the name on your account, the bank routing number and your account number
How Do You Get Paid on Facebook Marketplace?
Facebook uses a third-party payment processing service to collect the sale price of the item and the shipping costs from the buyer.
If you choose to use your own shipping method, you must mark an item as shipped and enter a tracking number to receive payment. If you purchase a prepaid shipping label on Marketplace, Facebook automatically enters the tracking number into the system and marks the item as shipped.
Banks typically deposit the money from a sale into your account within 20 days, but processing times are dependent on the bank you use.
Sellers Can Reap Rewards Using Facebook Marketplace
Selling on Facebook Marketplace is pretty straightforward. Whether you’re creating a listing online or via the mobile app, the platform’s interface is user-friendly and guides you through the listing process. If you find the selling fee for shipped items a bit steep, you can try to factor that cost into your item’s listing price.
FAQHere are some quick answers to commonly asked questions about selling on Facebook Marketplace.
- Is it easy to sell on Facebook Marketplace as a beginner?
- The Facebook Marketplace platform is user-friendly and prompts users through the listing process — from entering information to uploading photos. Anyone familiar with selling on other platforms should have no problem using the Marketplace interface.
- How do I sell through Facebook Marketplace?
- Sellers must join Facebook to sell through Marketplace. Facebook members can access the Marketplace from their browser or in the Facebook app and create listings for items they wish to sell.
- What is the safest way to sell on Facebook Marketplace?
- The safest way to sell on Facebook Marketplace is to ship the item to the buyer. If you are selling locally, make sure you meet the buyer in a public area with other people around.
- How much does Facebook Marketplace take from a sale?
- Creating a listing on Facebook Marketplace is free and there are no fees to sell items delivered locally. For items sold at prices above $8 that must be shipped, Facebook charges a 5% fee. If the item is sold for less than $8 and needs to be shipped, Facebook charges a flat $0.40 fee. Starting July 1, Facebook will remove the 5% fee and charge a standard processing fee, intended to cover only processing costs.
- Does it cost money to sell on Facebook Marketplace?
- There are no fees to sell locally on Facebook Marketplace. For selling items that must be shipped, Facebook charges a 5% fee. Starting July 1, Facebook will remove this fee and charge a standard processing fee, which is intended to just cover processing costs.
Other Ways to Make Money
- Get Paid To Sell Plasma
- Get Paid To Sleep
- Make Money Advertising on Your Car
- Make Money Blogging
- Make Money on DoorDash
- Make Money On Fiverr
- Make Money on Pinterest
- Make Money Self-Publish on Amazon
- Make Money Taking Surveys
- Sell on Etsy
- Sell on Poshmark
- Sell on Redbubble
- Sell Pokemon Cards
- Sell Your Photos Online
Information is accurate as of June 27, 2023.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.