As the winner of Miss Universe 2015, Paulina Vega gets the prize package of at least $20,000 in cash and the Miss Universe crown, which this year is estimated to be worth $300,000, made of crystals, sapphires, and blue topaz, according to MissUniverse.com. The title also comes with many responsibilities, including relocating to an apartment in New York, making appearances and participating in charitable events.
The Average Miss Universe Winner Is Worth $2.1 Million
But what is a Miss Universe win actually worth? We took a look at the net worths of the Miss Universe winners since 2003 to see what Miss Universe 2015, Paulina Vega, can expect to be worth in years to come. Below are past Miss Universe winners with readily available net worth estimates, as reported by TheRichest and CelebrityNetWorth.
- Amelia Vega was Miss Dominican Republic in 2003 when she took home the title of Miss Universe. She went on to become a model, and through modeling jobs, hosting gigs and some involvement in the music scene in her home country, Amelia Vega’s net worth is estimated to be $1 million.
- Zuleyka Rivera won the Miss Universe crown in 2006 as Miss Puerto Rico. After winning Miss Universe, Rivera scored roles in telenovelas in Puerto Rico, reports TheRichest. Rivera’s net worth is an estimated $5 million, according to CelebrityNetWorth, and she lives with partner José Juan Barea, an NBA player for the Minnesota Timberwolves.
- Dayana Mendoza won Miss Universe in 2008 as Miss Venezuela. This win can account for her later appearance on Donald Trump’s “The Celebrity Apprentice.” Mendoza also models and has an estimated net worth of $200,000.
- Ximena Navarrete took home the Miss Universe Crown in 2010 as Miss Mexico. Since her win she’s scored endorsement deals with Old Navy and L’Oréal Paris, as well as presenting and judging gigs in other pageants and events. This work has added up to a net worth of $5 million, according to CelebrityNetWorth.
- Leila Lopes was crowned Miss Universe in 2011 after she claimed the title of Miss Angola. Lopes’ win was overshadowed by some controversy about her documentation and entry into the contest, but despite that Lopes’ net worth has managed to reach a healthy $1 million.
- Olivia Culpo‘s net worth is $500,000, following her win of the Miss Universe crown in 2012 as Miss USA, due mostly to her pageant win and modeling career.
Of the six Miss Universe winners for which GOBankingRates could find net worth information, the average worth is $2.12 million. Considering these women are still in their 20s and early 30s, starting life off as a millionaire is not too shabby and could well make up for the thousands spent to compete.
All of this, of course, pales in comparison to the net worth of joint-owner of the Miss Universe Organization, Donald Trump, which is currently estimated by Forbes to be $4 billion.
Related: 5 Ways to Think Like a Millionaire
Miss Universe 2015 Host City Paid $2.5 Million in Taxpayer Money for the Event
The city that hosted the Miss Universe 2015 pageant also stood to pay, and make, a fair bit of money. Doral, Fla., paid pageant officials $2.5 million for the privilege of hosting the event, reports the Miami Herald. Some of the investment has already paid off, however, as Doral city officials and pageant organizers said they had secured $1 million in sponsorship money and expected to bring in more a week before the event.
Many residents of Doral were disgruntled to see $2.5 million in taxpayer money go to the Miss Universe pageant but, according to the Miami Herald, the city got a pretty good deal. Moscow paid $16 million to host the event last year, while Brazil paid $17 million.
Photo credit: Rafael Amado Deras