In the United States, education-related expenses at public schools can run thousands of dollars during a child’s elementary and secondary school career. With “free” education costing a pretty penny, the back-to-school shopping season is important for shoppers looking to save on classroom supplies and keep spending low. The discount school supplies are plentiful and deals like these might not come again for another year.
Click through to see how to save some serious back-to-school cash at top retailers.
Academy Sports + Outdoors Back-to-School Sales
Get a running start to save on clothing spending by hitting sport and activewear sales at Academy Sports + Outdoors. Shop a collection of cleats and athletic shoes for under $60, as well as a large selection of sports apparel from top brands like Nike on sale for under $30.
Amazon Back-to-School Sales
It’s no secret that Amazon offers a selection of deals throughout the year, but it looks like the back-to-school season is a good opportunity to save on some premium electronics with hundreds of smaller accessories for under $10 — and with free shipping for Prime members. You can also save 35 percent on Seagate 2TB external hard drives, and up to 50 percent on select Canon wireless printers.
Apple Back-to-School Sales
Apple offers several education discounts and benefits for students and educators including:
- Up to $200 off the purchase of qualifying Mac purchases
- 20 percent off AppleCare
- A free pair of wireless Beats headphones with select Mac and iPad purchases, until Sept. 25.
Barnes & Noble Back-to-School Sales
This popular bookseller has a range of back-to-school sales for students and educators to kick off the school year.
- Save 20 percent on the purchase of qualifying school supplies with the purchase of certain backpacks.
- Take 30 percent off ACT and SAT study guides.
- Get $10 off of every $100 you spend on textbooks with the coupon code STUDIOUS. Even better, the offer code applies to both new and used textbooks.
Bed Bath & Beyond Back-to-School Sales
College students are included in the savings, too. You can save on a wide range of dorm essentials and college school supplies at Bed Bath & Beyond if you sign up for the store’s College Savings Pass program. CSP members receive:
- 20 percent off in-store/online purchases
- Free shipping on all online purchases for the next year
Learn These: 21 Budgeting Tips for College Students
Best Buy Back-to-School Sales
Best Buy is another go-to for college student essentials. The retailer has frequent sales on everything, from appliances to phones and computers. Here are some of the best deals to be found at Best Buy this season:
- Shop Best Buy’s online store and use coupon code SAVEONSMALLSNOW to get 20 percent off small kitchen, bathroom, and other home appliances.
- Sign up for a Best Buy Student Deals account to receive special student discounts on a range of electronics including:
- $50 off iPad Pro models
- 50 percent off select HP wireless mice
- 10 percent off Texas Instrument calculators
Dick's Sporting Goods Back-to-School Sales
From after-school sports to gym class, Dick’s Sporting Goods has got you covered with deals on top athletic brands. You can save money this summer with these deals:
- Take 25 percent off select Nike styles, now through Aug. 11.
- With Dick’s price matching guarantee, you can bring in evidence of a lower price for the same item at a different retailer and Dick’s will honor the lowest price.
- Receive $20 in Dick’s Cash for every $100 spent.
- Save up to 33 percent on select bicycles.
JCPenney Back-to-School Sales
If you’re looking for variety in back-to-school sales, JCPenney offers many savings with the following discounts:
- $10 Kids Salon Cuts at participating JCP salons now through Aug. 15
- $10 off $50 or more on kids apparel and accessories now through Sept. 15 in store and online
- 50 percent off all dorm bedding with extra 20 percent off if you use your JCPenney credit card through Aug. 12
- 25 percent off all Nike, Adidas, and JanSport Backpacks through Aug. 12
To get access to exclusive deals and even more discounts during the year, consider applying for a JCPenney credit card.
Kohl's Back-to-School Sales
Shop at Kohl’s and you’ll find ample opportunities to save some cash:
- Brands including Nike and Converse are 25 percent off until Aug. 11.
- Other brands including Under Armour and Adidas are discounted until Aug. 12.
- Get an extra 15 percent off your online order with code QUICK15 through Aug. 12, and take advantage of the $10 Kohl’s Cash for every $50 spent, redeemable Aug. 13-19.
Macy's Back-to-School Sales
Macy’s end-of-summer advertisements include everything from make-up deals and dorm essentials to sales on toddler apparel. Here are some of the best deals at Macy’s:
- Epic Threads mix and match separates for kids, starting at $5.59
- Backpacks and lunch bags starting at $7.99
- Up to 60 percent off select twin and twin XL bedding sets
Office Depot and OfficeMax Back-to-School Sales
To find supplies to fill up your kids’ backpacks, Office Depot or OfficeMax might be a good place to start. Spiral notebooks start at 25 cents and a twelve pack of wooden pencils can be yours for 75 cents.
As far as computer deals go, laptops and Chromebooks start at just $219. If you find the same item for less at another retailer, it’s no problem: Office Depot and OfficeMax offer a price-match guarantee.
Old Navy Back-to-School Sales
Pick up some stylish back-to school-clothes with hefty discounts and perks from Old Navy. Current Old Navy offers include:
- Free shipping for online orders of $50 or more
- Up to 60 percent off of kids’ and baby apparel with items starting at $2
- School uniform apparel starting at just $4
Frequent Old Navy, GAP or Banana Republic shoppers might want to consider applying for an Old Navy card to receive special perks and discounts.
Sears Back-to-School Sales
Even die-hard fans of online shopping might find it rewarding to shop at a Sears department store in person. The classic American retailer has the following offers:
- Donate any gently used clothing items at participating Sears stores and receive a 20 percent off coupon for every item donated.
- Shop online and save an extra 15 percent on kids’ clothes and shoes.
Staples Back-to-School Sales
When it comes to saving money on essentials for school, it’s hard to beat some of the deals and prices at Staples. Shoppers can look forward to:
- 20 percent off select school supplies when you buy a backpack with coupon code 29908
- Two-pocket folders, composition notebooks, wooden rulers and glue starting at 50 cents each
- Staples’ 110% Price Match Guarantee: Staples will match a competitor’s price for the same item and discount the item by 10 percent of the difference.
Target Back-to-School Sales
Target is offering up both in-store savings as well as some exclusive online deals:
- Extra 20 percent off select online uniform purchases with offer code UNIFORMS
- Lunch kits starting at $4.99
- Kids’ leggings starting at $5
- Kids’ denim starting at $8
- Free $15 Target gift card with the purchase of $50 of select dorm room essentials
Target vs. Walmart School Supplies: Compare Their Best Back-to-School Deals
The Children's Place Back-to-School Sales
It’s a great time to get your shopping done at The Children’s Place. Serious savings are available on nearly all items:
- Shop online to get 50 percent off most apparel and accessories.
- Get free shipping with no minimum for all online purchases.
- Earn $10 in Place Cash for every $20 spent and use it on your future purchases of $20 or more.
Walmart Back-to-School Sales
Walmart is sure to be a top spot for back-to-school supplies. Some deals at Walmart to consider are:
- A range of laptops and notebooks for under $200
- Up to 50 percent off select character backpacks
- Over 20 percent off a Texas Instruments TI-84 graphing calculator
- Crayola Colored Pencils and markers at 97 cents per pack
More on Saving Money
- This Expert Doesn’t Use the Popular 50/30/20 Budget Rule
- Save $20,000 This Year With These 20 Hacks
- Tipping Etiquette You Don’t Know About But Should
Information on prices and discounts was gathered on Aug. 3, 2018, and is subject to change.