How Much Is Self-Employment Tax on $50,000 in Every State?

There's no state self-employment tax, but there's a federal one.

With the gig economy booming, more and more people are finding side hustles and weekend jobs to earn extra money — and some are even opting to make the leap into full-time self-employment. But, when you start working for yourself, you might have to pay different taxes, including the federal self-employment tax.

The IRS considers you self-employed when you’re in business for yourself, such as an independent contractor or if you have a sole proprietorship, or are a partner in a partnership, including an LLC that is taxed as a partnership. Read on to learn how to calculate self-employment taxes, no matter which state you live in.

Self-Employment Tax Rates

The self-employment tax is a federal tax — there are no self-employed state taxes — so your self-employment tax by state will be the same no matter where you live. What is self-employment tax? The self-employment tax is comprised of two taxes: the Social Security tax and the Medicare tax. As of the tax year 2018, the Social Security tax rate is 12.4 percent and the Medicare tax rate is 2.9 percent. The Medicare tax applies to all of your self-employment income, no matter how much you make.

Save for Your Future
Sponsors of

The Social Security tax, however, is only applicable to the amount of the contribution and benefit base for the year. This amount is $132,900 for 2019, but it adjusts annually for changes in the cost of living. So, in 2019, once you earn more than $132,900, you won’t have to pay the Social Security tax on the excess portion of your earnings.

Learn About Form 1099-MISC: This Is Which 1099 Form You Should File

Net Self-Employment Income

Before you can calculate your self-employment or independent contractor taxes, you need to calculate your net self-employment income. Instead of having to pay self-employment taxes on every dollar you make from self-employment, you are permitted to take out self-employment tax deductions first. For example, you can write off things like the costs of goods sold, home office expenses, advertising and vehicle expenses. There’s also a self-employed health insurance deduction.

Tax Deductions 2018: Home Office Deduction and 41 Other Tax Write-Offs You Don’t Know About

How to Calculate Self-Employment Tax 2018

To calculate self-employment taxes, multiply your net self-employment income by 0.9235.  Then, if the result is less than the contribution and benefit base for the year, multiply the result by the total self-employment tax rate, currently 15.3 percent.

Save for Your Future
Sponsors of

For example, if your net self-employment income is $50,000 multiply $50,000 by 0.9235 to get $46,175. Then, because $46,175 is less than the 2019 contribution and benefit of $132,900, multiply $46,175 by 0.153 to find you owe $7,064.78 in self-employment taxes for the year, which would leave you with $42,935.22.

Find Out: 5 Important Things to Double-Check Before Filing Your Taxes

But you’ll still have to pay regular income taxes at both the federal and state level, just like you would have to pay on any other income. On the bright side, you get to deduct an amount equal to the employer portion of the self-employment taxes — currently one-half of the total self-employment taxes — from your taxable income when you’re calculating your income taxes. In this case, your self-employment taxes paid would earn you a deduction of $3,532.44 on your income taxes.

In case your self-employment income equals more than the contribution and benefit base — $132,900 for the tax year 2019 — multiply the result by 0.029 and add 15.3 percent of the contribution and benefit base.

For example, if your self-employment income is $150,000 instead of $50,000, you would multiply $150,000 by 0.9235 to get $138,525. Because that amount is greater than the contribution and benefit base is $132,900, subtract $132,900 from $138,525 to get $5,625. Multiply $5,625 by 0.029 to get $163.13. Then, multiply the contribution base of $132,900 by 0.153 to get $20,333.70 and add that to $163.13 to find your total self-employment tax for the year is $20,496.83.

Save for Your Future
Sponsors of

Related: State Income Tax Rates Explained

Reporting Self-Employment Income on Taxes

You report your self-employment income on your regular income tax return, but you have to file a few additional forms. First, use Schedule C to calculate your net self-employment income. Then, file Schedule SE as a self-employment tax calculator to figure the self-employment taxes you owe.

Both your net self-employment income and your self-employment taxes will be carried over to your Form 1040 tax return. Filing your taxes correctly with self-employment income is important to avoid additional interest, penalties or an IRS audit.

Making Estimated Payments

When you’re self-employed, you’ll usually need to make estimated tax payments throughout the year. Underpayment of taxes can result in a penalty. Generally, you won’t have to pay a penalty if you meet at least one of the following criteria:

  • You owe less than $1,000 when you file your return.
  • Your total tax payments during the year equal at least 90 percent of your total tax bill for the current year.
  • Your total tax payments during the year equal at least the amount of tax you owed the prior year. For higher-income taxpayers — your adjusted gross income exceeds $150,000 or $75,000 if you are married filing separately — your total tax payments must be at least 110 percent of the tax you owed the prior year.

Click through to see what to do when you can’t pay your tax bill.

Save for Your Future
Sponsors of

More on Taxes

We make money easy. Get weekly email updates, including expert advice to help you Live Richer™

Gabrielle Olya contributed to the reporting for this article.

Related Video

About the Author

Michael Keenan

Michael Keenan is a writer based in the Kansas City area, specializing in personal finance, taxation, and business topics. He has been writing since 2009 and has been published by Quicken, TurboTax and The Motley Fool.

Read More

How Much Is Self-Employment Tax on $50,000 in Every State?
Close popup

Win $500 – and Start the New Year Right!

When you sign-up to receive bi-weekly email updates from GOBankingRates, you’ll automatically be entered for a chance to win our $500 #BestBanksBestYou sweepstakes. Sign up now!

Please enter an email.
Please enter a valid email address.
There was an unknown error. Please try again later.

For official contest rules, please go to: