From Black Friday in November to Super Saturday right before Christmas, all the biggest shopping days of the year are in the rearview mirror by the time New Year’s Day rolls around. Though you might not find any wild doorbusters on New Year’s Day, hitting the New Year’s sales, after-Christmas sales, or just returning some unwanted holiday gifts can make for the perfect low-key refresher after a night of partying down.
Whether you just want to stretch your legs or you’re a hardcore deal hunter who needs to be first in line for New Year’s Day sales, find out which stores are open New Year’s Day 2018.
Stores Open New Year’s Day 2018
Before you head to the store to pick up a New Year’s Day hangover remedy, make sure it’s open. Here’s a list of stores open on New Year’s Day 2018:
- 7-Eleven Open 24/7
- Ace Hardware: Normal hours, typically 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- ACME Markets: Reduced hours on New Year’s Day, hours vary by store
- Amoeba Music: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.; 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. in Los Angeles; 20 percent off T-shirts and headphones on New Year’s Day
- Apple Store: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- AT&T Wireless: Most stores are open from 9, 10 or 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., but Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi locations are closed
- Barnes and Noble: Opens an hour or two later than usual, at around 11 a.m.
- BCBGMAXAZRIA: Varies by store, typically opens between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. and closes between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.
- Bed Bath & Beyond: 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Belk: Closes early at 8 p.m.
- Best Buy: 9 a.m. to 10 p.m., but mall-based stores might operate on mall-specific hours
- BJ’s Warehouse: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Member Care open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Coach: 10 a.m to 10 p.m., call for special holiday hours
- CVS: 24-hour chains open as normal, other stores on reduced hours
- Dick’s Sporting Goods: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Dillard’s: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., though this might be affected by mall hours
- Dollar General: Normal hours, usually 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Foot Locker: Varies by store
- Gander Mountain: Many locations have closed permanently or rebranded as Gander Outdoors, so call your local store to confirm hours
- Giant Eagle: Normal hours, 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. or 12 a.m.
- The Gap: Varies by store, but many locations are closed
- Home Depot: Varies, usually opens around 5 or 6 a.m. and closes at 10 or 11 p.m.
- IKEA: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- JCPenney: Stores open at 10 a.m., closing hours vary
- Kendra Scott: Varies depending on mall hours
- Kohl’s: 8 a.m. to 12 a.m.
- Lowe’s: Open at 6 a.m., but some stores might close at 6 p.m.
- Macy’s: 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Meijer: Most stores remain open for 24 hours — Meijer is usually only closed on Christmas
- Neiman Marcus: Usual hours, normally 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Mondays
- Office Depot: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Publix: 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Rite Aid: Normal hours, usually from 7 or 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.; 24-hour stores might have limited hours
- Save Mart: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sherwin-Williams: Varies by store
- ShopRite: 6 a.m to 11 p.m., though some stores stay open later
- Target: 8 a.m. to 12 a.m.
- Toys R Us: Normal hours, which varies by store
- Walmart: Varies by store
- Wegmans: Reduced hours on New Year’s Day, hours vary by store
- Whole Foods: Usual hours, which vary — some stores might open late and close early
- Williams Sonoma: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., but might vary by store for the holiday
Start 2018 the Right Way: 11 New Year’s Resolutions Successful People Make Every Year
Stores Closed on New Year’s Day 2018
Some stores stay closed nationwide on New Year’s Day so don’t waste any time trying to shop there. Here’s a list of stores closed on New Year’s Day 2018:
- Trader Joe’s
Disclaimer: National chain hours based on Los Angeles and New York times; the hours of franchised stores might vary, and mall or outlet stores might be affected by mall or outlet hours — call ahead to confirm the hours of your specific location.