When it comes to buying luxury goods, it’s easy to disregard major retailers like Walmart, Target or Costco. After all, these retailers are known for their lower prices and, in the case of Costco, bulk goods.
But if you haven’t been shopping at Walmart, you could be missing out on some great savings on high-end items that go for a much higher price elsewhere. Not only does Walmart have a lot to offer when it comes to luxury and high-quality goods, but you can also find many of these deals online as well as in stores.
“You might be surprised to hear this, but Walmart isn’t just a destination for everyday essentials,” said James Allen, CPA, CFP, CFEI, and founder of Billpin.com. “It’s also a treasure trove for luxury items that won’t break the bank. For instance, you can find high-end brands like Chanel, Michael Kors, and even Rolex. Yes, you heard me right, Rolex!”
If you’re looking for some hidden luxury items at Walmart, here are the top ones to check out.
Comforters and Bedspreads
If you’re looking for luxury goods at Walmart, one of the best ways to get started is by checking the retailer’s online page and the listings here. One popular high-end item category you can find at Walmart for less than at major name brands is comforters, sheets and bedspreads. Walmart carries such luxury brands as Home Essence and Home Chic.
Here are two options online:
- Home Essence Apartment All Season Modern Gray Chevron Microfiber Comforters, Full/Queen, $46.76
- Chic Home Fortuno 12-piece Bed in a Bag Comforter Set, King, $133.62
Walmart carries a variety of high-end cookware and other kitchen appliances.
“I have had the pleasure of finding some high-end cookware in Walmart at insanely low prices,” said Young Pham, financial advisor and planner with BizReport and a regular deal hunter. “I know different people have different definitions of what high-end cookware means. However, these are basically products that, on a different day, you would end up paying a load of money for. But at Walmart, you could easily get them at massive discounts.”
Current online deals:
- Berlinger Haus Kitchen Cookware Sets 13-piece, Nonstick Cookware Set, $320.31 (originally $359.90)
- Berlinger Haus Kitchen Cookware Set 12-piece, Nonstick Cookware Set, $266.91 (originally $299.90)
With a large selection of handbags and similar goods, it can be hard to find the hidden gems, but they’re there. “Think of it like this,” said Allen. “Walmart is like a giant treasure chest. You have to dig through a lot of sand and pebbles, but every now and then, you’ll find a gem like a Louis Vuitton handbag or a piece of Alex and Ani jewelry.”
Current online deals:
- Daisy Rose Tote Shoulder Bag and Matching Clutch — PU Vegan Leather Handbag for Travel Work and School, $49.98
- ANNA by Anuschka Multi Compartment Satchel, $252.00
“One thing I have always enjoyed buying at Walmart on the cheap is designer fragrances,” said Pham. “These brands would typically cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars, and yet you could still get them for as little as $30 [at] Walmart. I’m not sure if they are real brands selling at huge discounts or knockoffs. But the fact that you are paying way less for something that looks and smells identical to the designer brand is quite astonishing.”
Current online deals:
- Liberty Luxury Legend Perfume for Men, 100ml/3.4Oz, Eau De Toilette Spray, Crafted in France, Oriental & Woody notes, $29.99 (originally $100)
- CHANEL No. 5 by Chanel Eau De Parfum Premiere Spray, 1.2 oz, $107.95
Candles are another great find at Walmart — and a lovely addition to any home.
“Walmart’s Better Homes & Gardens line has been creating products that closely resemble those found in high-end stores like Pottery Barn and Anthropologie. Not only do these items mimic the aesthetic of their more expensive counterparts, but they also maintain a high standard of quality,” said Michelle Harler, owner of Guide2Free. “For instance, their Red Lava Citrus and Magnolia Daylily scented candles are not only affordable but also provide a similar sensory experience to high-end alternatives.”
While these may not be luxury brands, here are some options:
- Better Homes & Gardens Red Lava Citrus 18oz Scented 2-wick Candle, $16.67
- Better Homes & Gardens 18 oz. Magnolia & Daylily Scented Wooden Wick Bell Jar Candle, $14.87
Sunglasses and Accessories
“Imagine walking into a Walmart and walking out with a Rolex watch that would typically retail for over $65,000. Or perhaps a Celine bag, which usually retails for over $3,000. You can even find Miu Miu sunglasses and Chanel perfume,” said Allen. “So, the next time you’re thinking of splurging on a luxury item, take a detour to Walmart. You might just find the same item at a price that makes your wallet a lot happier.”
Here are a couple of online deals:
- Miu Miu Metal Women’s Rectangle Sunglasses Pale Gold 58mm, Adult, $110.12
- Celine Brown Monogram Macadam Tote Bag 16CK855W, $368
Walmart’s Better Homes & Gardens line also excels when it comes to other household items like planters. Again, this is not a luxury brand, but many products from the line look and feel just as high-end as those from more expensive companies.
Here’s an online deal:
More From GOBankingRates
- 6 Ways To Tell If You're Middle Class or Upper Middle Class
- If You Find a Rare 'Doubled Die' Penny, It Could Be Worth $1.14 Million
- 3 Ways to Recession Proof Your Retirement
- Here's How To Build a 6-Month Emergency Fund