3 Macy’s Return Policy Tips To Keep In Mind
Macy’s welcomes people to stores for all their holiday shopping needs. But with gifts, there’s always a chance of someone not liking what they got for Christmas. Or you may be gifted an item that you already have. Knowing Macy’s return policy helps make the holiday season stress-free. Read up on Macy’s current return policy and remember these tips when shopping.
What Is the Return Policy at Macy’s?
Macy’s graciously offers free returns for up to 90 days from the day of the purchase in stores or by mail. Macy’s has extended the time frame for returns for the holiday season to make things seamless for customers. The new time frame is effective on all purchases beginning on Oct. 3, 2022, with returns accepted until Jan. 31, 2023.
Here are the details on Macy’s return policy for retail sales this holiday season and the time frame for returns.
Macy’s Returns at a Glance
How long is Macy’s return policy? Here’s a quick overview.
|What’s the time frame for returns?||90 days for most purchases; some exceptions apply|
|Can online purchases be returned through the mail?||Yes|
|Can online purchases be returned at a store?||Yes|
|Can store purchases be returned by mail?||No|
|Are returns free?||Yes, with the following exceptions: gourmet gifts, food, gift cards, lamps, mirrors, wall art, beauty boxes, furniture, area rugs and mattresses|
How To Return a Product to Macy’s
If you get a gift this holiday season that you don’t fancy, you can return it to Macy’s by the end of January.
Note that if the product was purchased at a store, it must be returned to a store. But if the product was purchased online, you can return it at a store or by going to the Macy’s website and taking the following steps.
Step 1: Look Up Your Order
You can find your order in two ways:
- Sign in to your Macy’s account and search your order history to find the order you want to return.
- Enter the order number on the invoice or at the top of the order confirmation email. When using this method, you must specify if the order was a gift.
Then, you must verify your phone number or email address. Click on “View Order Details.”
Step 2: Print the Confirmation Page and Mailing Label
When you view the order details, choose the item(s) you want to return and print the confirmation page and mailing label.
Step 3: Pack and Ship Your Items
Pack your items properly. Ensure you have included the accessories and everything else that came with the merchandise. Put the confirmation page in the package, too.
Attach the mailing label on the package and ship it from a UPS location for free.
Once Macy’s receives the merchandise, they will process your credit immediately. It may take some time to reflect on your account, depending on your bank’s processing time.
Are All Returns Free?
As per Macy’s return policy, free returns do not include gourmet gifts, food, gift cards, lamps, mirrors, wall art, beauty boxes, furniture, area rugs and mattresses. Free returns are also not applicable on international orders. However, all other items can be returned free of charge.
If you live in an area that offers return pickup services, you’ll have to pay a certain amount for a scheduled pickup.
3 Macy’s Return Policy Tips
1. Buy Items From a Nearby Store
Since items bought in a Macy’s store cannot be returned through the mail, it might not be a good idea to buy gifts at a Macy’s store while visiting another town. If there is an issue with the product, you will have to travel back to return it.
2. Ask About Return Policy Exceptions When Buying Electronics or Jewelry
Some items sold at Macy’s stores may have shorter return time limits. For example, Apple products only have a 14-day limit for returns. It’s good to remember this when making gift purchases, so you don’t get an unpleasant surprise in the future.
3. You May Be Able to Return an Item Without a Receipt
If you bought an item and do not have a receipt, you may still be reimbursed if you provide the credit card used to purchase it. If you received the item as a gift and do not have a receipt, you may be able to return it for store credit.
Knowing about a store’s return policy gives you confidence when purchasing holiday gifts for friends and family. Comparing Macy’s to other popular department stores and online competitors is a smart tactic and can help you shop early and beat the holiday crowds.
- What's the return policy for Macy's Backstage purchases?
- Returns on Macy's Backstage purchases are accepted until Jan. 31, 2023. The merchandise must have tags attached to it and should be unworn. Shoppers must return the item to a Backstage location with the receipt. The policy does not apply to Last Act merchandise.
- What's Macy's return policy for Apple products?
- The return time frame for Apple products and tech accessories is 14 days from the day of the purchase. Shoppers must provide the original receipt with the adapters, documentation and cords originally in the box. Macy's will only accept returns after verifying the product's serial number.
- What's Macy's return policy for jewelry and watches?
- Shoppers can return these products until Jan. 31, 2023, if the tickets are still attached. If you have worn, altered or sized the item, Macy's will not accept the return.
- What's Macy's return policy for small electrics and personal care products?
- Shoppers can return these items until Jan. 31, 2023. The product must be in a saleable condition in its original packaging.
- What's Macy's return policy for Finish Line products?
- The traditional return period for Finish Line products is 45 days, but Macy's has extended it for the 2022 holiday season. Shoppers can return the merchandise by Jan. 31, 2023.
- What's Macy's return policy for tech watches?
- The traditional return period for tech watches is 30 days. But for the 2022 holiday season, customers can return them until Jan. 31, 2023. The watch must be unaltered and unworn. It should also have its original tags and accessories, and you'll need to provide the receipt.
- Will Macy's take returns after 30 days?
- Macy's accepts returns up to 90 days after the date of purchase.
Chris Ozarowski contributed to the reporting for this article.
Information is accurate as of Nov. 16, 2022.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.