Lowe’s Return Policy: What You Need To Know
No holiday gift or home renovation purchase comes without risk, so it is comforting to know when and how you can return something that doesn’t fit your needs. Returning items at Lowe’s is pretty straightforward as long as you are aware of what time frame to work within. Lowe’s prides itself on helping you with all of your home improvement needs and allows you to return items you are not satisfied with for a refund or in exchange for something better suited to your project.
How To Return Items to Lowe’s
Lowe’s return policy gives you 90 days to return most items and is made easy with two different options for the returner:
- Return it to your local Lowe’s store
- Ship it back to Lowe’s
Returning Items In-Store
You can take the eligible item you wish to return back to your local Lowe’s store and simply follow these steps:
- Once in the Lowe’s store, locate the customer service desk or area.
- Have your proof of purchase ready.
- Show an accepted form of ID, such as a driver’s license, state ID, passport or military ID.
You are also able to get a return bar code you can show to customer service for varying purchases in the following ways:
- Online orders: Go to the Check Order Status page of Lowes.com and make sure you are under the “Online Orders” tab. Enter your email address and order number and then click “Check Order Status.”
- Store purchases: Go to the Check Order Status page of Lowes.com and make sure you are under the “Store Purchases” tab. Enter either the P.O. number provided in your store receipt or the order number, as well as your email address or phone number, and then click “Check Order Status.”
Returning Items by Shipping
If you don’t live close to a Lowe’s store or just don’t want to mess with returning your item in person, you can always ship it. You can start your return online by going to the Check Order Status page of Lowes.com and following the prompts for either online orders or in-store purchases.
When shipping items, make sure to do the following:
- Box items up with all manufacturer materials and manuals.
- Print one return label to go inside the package and one shipping label for outside the package.
- Ship the item back by taking it to your local post office or other parcel shipping facility.
Returning Items Without a Receipt
If you can’t locate your receipt and wish to return something, all hope is not lost. For most purchases, Lowe’s can find your receipt using one of the following pieces of information:
- Credit card used to purchase the item
- Checking account information used to purchase the item
- MyLowe’s card
- Your phone number
Once the receipt is located in the system, you will either be issued a refund or store credit, depending on Lowe’s discretion and receipt validity.
If you do not have valid proof of purchase and a receipt cannot be located, there is still a chance for a successful return. If you are approved by the Lowe’s verification system by providing a valid ID and your phone number, you may get your refund or store credit, but there are no guarantees with this system. Be sure to check with Lowe’s customer service even if you cannot provide a receipt.
How Long Do You Have To Return Something to Lowe’s?
In general, Lowe’s return policy is pretty generous and allows a 90-day window in which you can return most purchases for a full refund, a credit to your account or in exchange for something else. Eligible items include new, unused items with valid proof of purchase.
You would only be eligible for in-store credit for items purchased with the following:
- Lowe’s gift card
- Refund card
- Merchandise card
There are exceptions and varying timelines for return allowances, so be aware of how what you purchased can affect how long you have to return it.
Lowe’s Items With a 48-Hour Return Policy
For big-ticket appliance purchases, you only have a 48-hour window to return these items and still get a full refund. These items include but are not limited to the following major appliances:
Lowe’s Items With a 30-Day Return Policy
There are other items that you have less than 90 days to return for a full refund. Make sure items are still in like-new condition and take any of the following items back within 30 days:
- Air conditioners
- Power equipment used outdoors, such as chainsaws, trimmers, generators, wood chippers, mowers and augers
- Water heaters
- Vehicles such as highway trailers or golf carts
Lowe’s Items With a 1-Year Return Policy
You have one year — yes, 365 days — to return any items you purchased with a Lowe’s Advantage credit card. Other items you have a year to return with or without the Lowe’s Advantage card include the following:
- Perennial plants
For most purchases, Lowe’s return policy offers 90 days after the date of purchase to return items for a full refund. This is a decent amount of time to decide if you want to keep something or not. Not only are all Lowe’s returns free, but they are also quite convenient since customers can either return items in-store or start the return online and ship it from home.
FAQHere are the answers to some commonly asked questions about Lowe's return policy.
- What is Lowe's policy on returns?
- In general, Lowe's return policy gives you 90 days to return most items with proof of purchase and a valid ID for a full refund, store credit or exchange.
- Can I return something to Lowes after two years?
- No, the longest window of time for returns is one year, and that is only for purchases made with the Lowe's Advantage credit card or for the following:
- — Perennial plants
- — Shrubs
- — Trees
- Can you return items to Lowe's past 90 days?
- In certain cases, you can return items to Lowe's past 90 days. These circumstances include:
- — Items purchased with the Lowe's Advantage card
- — Trees, shrubs or perennial plants
- Can I return something to Lowe's without a receipt?
- Yes, for most purchases, Lowe's can locate your receipt using one of the following pieces of information and if successful will allow returns without a receipt:
- — Credit card used to purchase the item
- — Checking account information used to purchase the item
- — MyLowe's card
- — Your phone number
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.