The cost of museum entry fees can add up quickly. And with the rising cost of living, entry fees can feel like another increasing expense.
But here’s the good news — if you’re a Bank of America, Merrill or Bank of America Private Bank credit or debit card holder, you can visit over 225 museums and cultural institutions for free on the first weekend of every month. Here’s everything you need to know.
1. Mark Your Calendars
Bank of America’s Museums on Us free entry occurs once every month during the first full weekend, which is a nice perk since most people are able to visit on weekends.
But because it only happens once per month, it can be easy to forget about this card perk. Bank of America, Member FDIC, allows cardholders to sign up for email alerts for Museum on Us dates and other cultural events. You can sign up on the Bank of America website.
For 2023, the remaining Museums on Us free entry weekends include the following dates:
- Nov. 4-5
- Dec. 2-3
In 2024, Museums on Us free entry weekends include the following dates:
- Jan. 6-7
- Feb. 3-4
- March 2-3
- April 6-7
- May 4-5
- June 1-2
- July 6-7
- Aug. 3-4
- Sept. 7-8
- Oct. 5-6
- Nov. 2-3
- Dec. 7-8
2. It’s an Extensive List
Bank of America, Merrill or Bank of America Private Bank credit or debit card holders get free access to over 225 museums and cultural institutions on the first full weekend of every month.
The list of institutions includes museums and other institutions in states across the country. For example, you can visit LACMA in Los Angeles, Zoo Knoxville in Tennessee, the Greensboro Children’s Museum in North Carolina or the Museum of Modern Art in New York City.
You can review the complete list of eligible museums and cultural institutions.
3. Entry Is Simple
Bank of America makes it easy to use the Museums on Us perk. You don’t need to sign up in advance, confirm with the museum or schedule your visit. Instead, you can arrive at the museum and show your card for entry.
When you arrive, ensure you have your Bank of America, Merrill or Bank of America Private Bank credit or debit card and a photo ID. Free entry is only valid for the cardholder. It does not apply to anyone else in the cardholder’s family or party.
It’s also worth noting that entry is only for general admission and might exclude special exhibitions or experiences that cost extra.
4. You Can Add Cardholders
Your credit or debit card is only suitable for one free entry. Still, it’s possible to add an authorized user to your account, which might be an excellent option for your spouse.
Once you add a user, you can request a card in that person’s name, granting them free entry for the Bank of America Museums on Us perk.
You can add nearly anyone as an authorized user, including friends and family. However, it’s essential to be selective about who you add since you’re granting the person access to your credit card.
5. Be Strategic
As you search for museums and other cultural institutions to attend, it’s a good idea to be strategic and maximize your savings. Start your search with your current city and expand out from there.
For example, if you live in Long Beach, California, you might visit the local Museum of Latin American Art. Entry is free since it’s part of the Museums on Us program.
After that, you might expand your search to nearby Los Angeles and check out the Skirball Cultural Center one weekend, which is also part of the program.
It’s also worth checking the Bank of America Museums on Us perk when traveling. You might find that some of the museums you’re most interested in visiting are in another state or city. The benefit provides another way to save money on your next vacation.
- Does Bank of America still do Museums on Us?
- Bank of America still offers the Museums on Us perk. The bank has been offering the perk for over 25 years, and it's still going strong today. You can visit over 225 museums and cultural institutions for free with your Bank of America, Merrill or Bank of America Private Bank credit or debit card.
- What is Bank of America Museums on Us?
- Museums on Us is a free perk for Bank of America, Merrill or Bank of America Private Bank credit or debit card holders. If you have one of those cards, you get free access to hundreds of museums and cultural institutions during the first weekend of every month. All you need to do is show up and show your card.
- How do I get the Bank of America Museums on Us perk?
- You automatically have access to the Bank of America Museums on Us perk if you have a credit or debit card from Bank of America, Merrill or Bank of America Private Bank. It's a complimentary benefit for cardholders, allowing you to visit over 225 museums nationwide for free.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.