Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available or the benefits and terms have changed. View the issuer’s site for current information.
U.S. Bank offers six different credit cards meant to suit different customer needs, including premium rewards, travel rewards, cash back and low rates. Before applying for a U.S. Bank card, it’s important to understand the features of each, including fees, rates and any available perks. Keep reading this U.S. Bank credit card review to find out which one is the best credit card for you.
The Best US Bank Credit Cards
The U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite Card is a premium rewards card that is only available to U.S. Bank customers. However, there are many other credit cards you can qualify for without opening an account with U.S. Bank. Take a look at the top three cards in the categories of cash back, travel rewards and low rates:
- Best cash-back card: U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card
- Best travel rewards card: U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express Card
- Best low-rate card: U.S. Bank Visa Platinum Card
Earn up to 5 percent cash back with the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card, plus you can qualify for $150 in bonus cash when you open a new account and spend $500 within the first 90 days of opening your account. Learn more about the best cash-back credit cards.
- Who it’s best for: People seeking cash back on purchases, especially those who tend to make purchases in one or two categories
- Annual fee: $0
- APR: 15.74 percent to 24.74 percent
- Card perks: 5 percent cash back on two categories of your choice; 2 percent cash back on one everyday category such as gas or groceries; 1 percent cash back on all other purchases
The U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card allows you the flexibility to choose the categories you want to receive the maximum 5 percent cash back for, which can include clothing and cellphone bills. You’ll earn 5 percent cash back on your first $2,000 in combined eligible net purchases each quarter on the two categories you choose. Cash back can be redeemed as a statement credit, a direct deposit into a U.S. Bank checking or savings account, or as a rewards card. There is no minimum required to redeem cash back.
The U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express Card allows you to earn points with your purchases that can be redeemed for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more. You’ll earn triple points at restaurants and double points at gas stations and airlines. Plus, get 30,000 bonus FlexPoints when you spend $2,000 within the first four months of your account opening.
- Who it’s best for: Frequent travelers
- Annual fee: $85
- APR: 15.74 percent to 25.74 percent
- Card perks: Earn FlexPoints with every purchase that can be redeemed for travel; statement credit for TSA Precheck or Global Entry; complimentary Boingo WiFi; $25 reimbursement for baggage fees or in-flight dining purchases on reward travel tickets
Every dollar you spend with this U.S. Bank rewards card translates to FlexPoints. You’ll also get other perks that benefit frequent travelers, including TSA Precheck, in-flight WiFi and reimbursement for certain travel expenses.
The U.S. Bank Visa Platinum Card is a good option for those looking for generous credit lines and lower APRs. See which are the best 0% APR credit cards.
- Who it’s best for: People who are making a large or unexpected purchase, who won’t be able to pay their statement off in full
- Annual fee: $0
- APR: 0% intro APR on first 20 billing cycles, then 11.74 percent to 23.74 percent
- Card perks: Cellphone protection against damage or theft when you use your U.S. Bank Visa Platinum Card to pay your monthly cellular bill
If you find yourself needing to pay for an emergency expense, a large purchase such as new furniture or a pricey vehicle repair, it could be useful to open a U.S. Bank Visa Platinum Card to take advantage of the introductory 0% APR, which extends for 20 billing cycles. Benefits of the card include cellphone protection, the option to choose your own payment date, fraud protection, access to your credit score, online banking and AutoPay.
Related: Best Low-Interest Credit Cards
The Bottom Line
The best U.S. Bank credit card for you will really depend on your needs. The U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card is best for people who want cash back and will be able to pay their statement balance in full because there is no intro APR with this card. The U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express Card will benefit frequent travelers who will earn enough travel rewards to make the $85 annual fee worth it. It is not the best card for those who don’t travel enough to really enjoy the perks. The U.S. Bank Visa Platinum Card is the best option for those who will benefit from low rates, but there are fewer perks than with the other two cards.
Click through to learn how to get the best credit card interest rates.
More on Credit Card Advice
- What You Need to Know About Credit Card Expiration Dates
- 10 Things You Should Never Put on a Credit Card
- Inventive Ways to Make Money Using Your Credit Card
This content is not provided by the companies mentioned. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by U.S. Bank.