How to Make Money Fast – 15 Ways to Earn $200 or More
Whether you need to reel in your spending or just want to get ahead with your finances, consider picking up a side gig for extra cash flow. Become a ride-share driver, take some online surveys, make deliveries for Amazon or leverage your unique skills to earn more. Here are 15 options for making money fast starting today.
The Best Ways to Make Money Fast
How Can I Make Money in One Day Without a Job?
If don’t have time to get a job — or you already have a job and you need some quick cash on the side — take a look at how to make quick cash with some of the items around your home.
1. Sell Your Gently Used Items on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace
Do you have gently used items that you no longer want? If so, there’s someone — or several someones — who will gladly pay you for them. Take a few photos, write a brief description and post your items for sale on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. You can also make a tidy profit by selling high-quality clothing and accessories on platforms such as Poshmark or Tradesy.
2. Trade In Old Gadgets and Electronics for Cash
To make quick cash with minimal effort, try trading in your old, unwanted electronics for cash. Here are some items to consider:
- Fitness trackers
- Game consoles
Buyback services will purchase old gadgets and electronics like these online. Some electronics buyback services include ItsWorthMore, Decluttr, Gazelle and Trademore. You can also use eBay and other third-party marketplaces to price your items appropriately and sell them independently.
3. Sell Unused Gift Cards
If you have unwanted gift cards gathering dust in a drawer, sell them. Sure, you may not get full face value for the cards, but it’s not like you’ll take a loss. Remember, you didn’t buy them. So, it’s essentially free money you can pocket.
Sell unused gift cards on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace or eBay. Or visit Gift Card Granny to see how much you can sell your gift card for and make the sale in just a few clicks. You can also offer gift cards on your social media accounts to see if there are any takers. Then, meet up to make the exchange.
How To Make Money Online at Home
If you want to make decent money without the 9-to-5 grind, there are easy ways to score cash online. You won’t get rich quick, but you can make as much as a regular job. Here are some ways to earn money fast online for you to consider.
4. Work as a Freelancer
- $5 or more per project
Fiverr is a great place for first-time freelancers looking to build experience and their portfolios. From logo design and animation to editing and voice-over work, you can find tasks suited to your skills. Prices start at just $5 per project.
Once you accumulate feedback, referrals and experience, you can start charging much more. Some people have taken their Fiverr gigs full time, with jobs such as web design going from $100 to over $3,000 per project.
5. Be an Affiliate Marketer
- Up to $300 a day or more
Affiliate marketing involves selling products online and earning a commission by joining one or more affiliate programs, such as Amazon Associates, ClickBank or ShareASale, and promoting and selling those products through your blog or social media channels.
According to Affise, a performance marketing platform for advertisers, low-level affiliates can earn up to $300 a day, while high-level affiliates can earn up to $3,000 a day.
Affiliate marketing can be an entire career — not just a side hustle — based on passive income, which is as close as most people are ever going to get to free money.
6. Sell Digital Products
- Unlimited, depending on the pricing of products and units sold
Digital products can be sold through a number of marketplaces, many of which also handle physical sales: WordPress blogs, eBay and Etsy are a few popular options to sell courses, artwork, printables and more.
According to Oberlo, it’s estimated that there will be 2.14 billion global digital buyers in 2021. The more digital products you have to sell, the more passive income you’ll potentially make.
7. Become an Online Survey Taker
- Up to $16 an hour
It’s not the most exciting side hustle, but there is money to be made filling out online surveys. Many sites like Survey Junkie and Swagbucks allow users to earn cash and gift cards.
You can also visit the website for the Columbia Business School Center for Decision Sciences to sign up for online research studies that pay about $16 an hour.
8. Become a User Tester
- $10 to $70 per assignment
If you have 20 minutes to spare, you can make fast cash at home on UserTesting, which pays $10 per test. The company pays people to visit websites and apps, complete sets of tasks and give opinions on the experience.
Another option for user testing is Validately, which claims to pay $10 to $70 per study.
Other Ways To Make Money Quickly
So, you can make money online fast. But, if you’re willing to work outside of your home, there are many more options for side gigs. If you want to avoid getting a traditional job altogether, you may want to pick up multiple gig-working careers to help you make enough income.
9. Become a Ride-Share Driver
- Average income of up to $377 per month
Driving for Uber or Lyft is among the most popular side hustles because of the flexibility this option offers. You can pick your schedule, drive when and where you want and rent or lease a car through the ride-share company if needed. You can also use your car to work as a part-time delivery driver for Amazon Flex.
10. Make Deliveries for Amazon or Uber Eats
- Average income of $57,474 to $57,804 a year
Uber delivery drivers make an annual average of $57,804 a year according to salaries reported on Indeed, while Amazon delivery drivers make an average of $57,474 annually. Even with an average salary that’s this high, you’ll still be working on a contract basis. That means you can set your own hours and work as much as you need to.
11. Become a Pet Sitter or Dog Walker
- Average income of $12.02 per hour
Sign up to watch pets while their owners are out of town. Pet-sitting sites, such as Rover, connect pet owners with sitters for a cut — 15% to 20% — of the sitter’s earnings paid by client users. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, pet sitters make a median of $12.02 an hour, or $24,990 a year. Rover claims on its site that pet sitters and dog walkers can earn up to $1,000 per month by registering with its service.
12. Get a Babysitting Gig
- $11.50 an hour and up, depending on experience, location and number of children
Babysitters are always in demand. According to ZipRecruiter, they make a national average of $17 or more. Plus, watching two kids can come with an increase. According to Care.com, add $1 to your hourly rate for each additional child you babysit.
13. Install Christmas Lights for the Holidays
- $1.25 to $3 per linear foot of lights
According to Thumbtack, most installers charge double to install lights on a second story. And don’t forget about the removal costs. Thumbtack also noted that you can charge about half of what you charged to install. You can also choose to wrap outdoor trees with lights and charge $60 to $1,200 for each, depending on tree size.
Many seasonal jobs are available that pay quite a bit, but you’re going to need to rotate through them if you want to maintain income all year-round — or work very hard during that one season.
14. Become a Home Organizer
- Up to $24.57 an hour
A professional home organizer makes up to $24.57, according to PayScale. To start organizing professionally, post listings on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, or connect with your neighbors on NextDoor. Of course, this isn’t a get rich quick strategy, because it’s an actual job.
15. Help With Home Gardening
- Up to $13.03 an hour
Do you have a green thumb? Maybe it’s time to become a gardener. The average gardener makes about $13 per hour according to Indeed, so you’ll need to work a little over 15 hours to clear $200.
How To Build Sustainable Wealth
Once you’ve made extra money, you should focus on setting yourself up for long-term financial success. It isn’t just about how to make money fast, but also about keeping it.
If you’re a beginner when it comes to investing, take time to set your investment goals. Here’s what you should think about:
Consider Your Investment Goals
- Figure out how much you can budget for investments.
- Choose your investment types based on your risk tolerance.
- Choose a platform to invest with.
With these in mind, you can create a solid foundation where you can not only begin building your wealth but also continue maintaining it.
Creating a budget allows you to compare your income to your expenses, as well as to set goals for spending and saving. While there are different budgeting techniques, all of them revolve around tallying your expenses and reducing expenses where you can.
Regardless of how you choose to make money, you need to be able to store your cash safely and provide easy access to funds when you need them.
Opening a savings account can be your first step to building sustainable wealth. And if you find that you need more help in reaching your savings goals, you can work with a qualified and reputable financial planner.
Gabrielle Olya contributed to the reporting for this article.
This article has been updated with additional reporting since its original publication.
Data is accurate as of Sept. 22, 2020, and is subject to change.
Our in-house research team and on-site financial experts work together to create content that’s accurate, impartial, and up to date. We fact-check every single statistic, quote and fact using trusted primary resources to make sure the information we provide is correct. You can learn more about GOBankingRates’ processes and standards in our editorial policy.
- CNET. "Best places to sell your used electronics in 2020 - CNET."
- ItsWorthMore.com. "Sell Your Phone, Tablet, or Laptop for Cash | ItsWorthMore.com."
- Decluttr. "Sell My Stuff | Sell Stuff Online | Decluttr."
- Gazelle. "Buy and Sell Used Cell Phones and Electronics | Gazelle."
- Trademore. "Buy Devices or Trade-in Phones, Tablets & More | Trademore."
- eBay. "Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles & More | eBay."
- Gift Card Granny. "Sell Gift Cards Online: Up to 92% Back | GiftCardGranny."
- Fiverr. "Brand Style Guide Services by Freelance Style ... - fiverr.com."
- TechRadar. "Best affiliate marketing programs of 2020 ... - TechRadar."
- Affise. "How Much Can You Earn in Affiliate Marketing in 2020? | Affise."
- Oberlo. 2019. "19 Powerful Ecommerce Statistics That Will Guide ... - Oberlo."
- Survey Junkie. "Survey Junkie."
- Swagbucks. "Swagbucks: Coupons, Paid Online Surveys & Free Gift Cards."
- Center for Decision Sciences. "Participate | Center for Decision Sciences."
- UserTesting. "Get Paid to Test | UserTesting."
- Earnest. 2020. "Sharing Economy: How Much Are People Really ... - Earnest."
- Uber. "How Much Do Drivers Make? | Uber - Uber United States."
- Lyft. "Drive with Lyft – Become a Driver | Lyft."
- Uber. "Explore the Uber Platform | Uber United States."
- Lyft. "Lyft ExpressDrive."
- Amazon. "Let's Drive - Amazon Flex."
- Indeed. "How much does Uber Partner Drivers pay? | Indeed.com."
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. "Animal Care and Service Workers : Occupational Outlook ...."
- Rover. "What are the service fees? – Help Center."
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. "Animal Care and Service Workers : Occupational Outlook ...."
- Rover. "Dog Sitting Jobs | Rover.com."
- Care.com. "Babysitting Rates Calculator - Care.com."
- ZipRecruiter. "Q: How Much Do Babysitter Jobs Pay per Hour in 2020?"
- Care.com. "Babysitter pay rates: What's the going rate for ... - Care.com."
- PayScale. "Professional Home Organizer Hourly Pay | PayScale."
- Indeed. 2020. "Gardener Salary in United States - Job Search | Indeed."
- Dave Ramsey. "How to Start Investing: A Beginner’s Guide | DaveRamsey.com."
- Bank of America. "Creating a Budget with a Personal Budget Spreadsheet."
- Poshmark. "Poshmark."
- Tradesy. "Sell Designer Clothes Online at Tradesy."
- Amazon Associates. "Amazon.com Associates Central."
- ClickBank. "Promote - ClickBank."
- ShareASale. "ShareASale."