For decades, Donald Trump has been using the art of rhetoric to inspire some and horrify others. Since announcing his presidential bid on June 16, some of the best Donald Trump quotes yet have monopolized in debates, speeches and interviews, as part of his journey to earn the Republican nomination and eventually the White House.
Donald Trump Quotes on Minorities and Immigration
One of the most discussed topics of the 2016 presidential election is Donald Trump on immigration, as he makes his strong viewpoints well known among voters.
- During a press conference announcing his candidacy for presidency, Trump accused Mexican immigrants of being less-than-stellar citizens: “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best … They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”
- When news broke that Mexican drug lord “El Chapo” had escaped from a U.S. prison, Trump had harsh words to say over Twitter: “Mexico’s biggest drug lord escapes from jail. Unbelievable corruption and USA is paying the price. I told you so!”
- Following the San Bernandino, Calif., shootings, Donald Trump’s campaign released a statement asking for, “… a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on.”
- In a March interview with CNN, Trump said: “I think Islam hates us.” When pressed by Anderson Cooper for more details, Trump added that the war was against radical Islam but that, “it’s very hard to define. It’s very hard to separate. Because you don’t know who’s who.”
Donald Trump Quotes on Women
While Trump claims to “cherish” women, the Republican frontrunner has made his share of degrading comments about women since announcing his presidential campaign. From Donald Trump on Megyn Kelly to his thoughts on Hillary Clinton, learn what he’s had to say.
- During the Aug. 6 Republican debate, moderator Megyn Kelly called Trump out for calling women he doesn’t like “fat pigs, dogs, slobs and disgusting animals.” He responded by quipping, “Only Rosie O’Donnell.”
- Following the Aug. 6 debate, Trump criticized Kelly, saying, “You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes. Blood coming out of her wherever.”
- In an August 2015 interview with The New York Times, Trump admitted that sometimes he takes his insults a little too far, then promptly said, “Heidi Klum. Sadly, she’s no longer a 10.”
- During a Dec. 21 campaign rally in Grand Rapids, Mich., Trump lashed out at Hillary Clinton using a decidedly misogynistic term: “Even her race to Obama, she was gonna beat Obama,” he said. “I don’t know who would be worse, I don’t know. How does it get worse? But she was gonna beat — she was favored to win — and she got schlonged. She lost.”
Donald Trump’s Presidential Announcement: Top 10 Quotes
Donald Trump Quotes on Being Rich
Donald Trump is a wealthy man and he won’t let voters forget it. Some of the most memorable Donald Trump quotes have been about the size of his bank account.
- At his presidential announcement in New York, Donald Trump’s net worth became a topic of discussion. He said, “I have a total net worth and now with the increase it will be well over $10 billion, but here total net worth of $8 billion … I’m not doing that to brag because you know what? I don’t have to brag. I don’t have to.”
- On Super Tuesday on March 8 Trump took to Twitter to remind voters why they should vote for him:
Remember, I am the only one who is self-funding my campaign. All of the other candidates are bought and paid for by special interests!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 8, 2016
Donald Trump Quotes on Republican Candidates and Party Leaders
As the Republican frontrunner, Donald Trump doesn’t seem to care what he says about his fellow candidates or the leaders of the party he wants to represent in the White House.
- “Just watched lightweight Marco Rubio lying to a small crowd about my past record,” Trump tweeted. “He is not as smart as Cruz, and may be an even bigger liar.”
- In March 2016, after Mitt Romney gave a speech on why Americans should not vote for Trump, the presidential candidate tweeted: “Looks like two-time failed candidate Mitt Romney is going to be telling Republicans how to get elected. Not a good messenger!”
- During a September 2015 interview with Rolling Stone, Carly Fiorina appeared on TV. Trump reacted, saying, “Look at that face! Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?! I mean, she’s a woman, and I’m not s’posedta say bad things, but really, folks, come on. Are we serious?”
- At the March 10 Miami debate, Trump undermined the Republican party, saying, “One of the biggest political events anywhere in the world is happening right now with the Republican Party. Millions and millions of people are going out to the polls and they are voting … The Republican establishment, or whatever you want to call it, should embrace what’s happening.”
Donald Trump Quotes on His Presidency and War
If elected, Trump is sure he’ll make a great president; many of the best Donald Trump quotes have been on the subject of his candidacy and what will happen if he takes the reigns of the White House.
- After Romney denounced Trump’s campaign, the Republican candidate tweeted: “I am the only one who can beat Hillary Clinton. I am not a Mitt Romney, who doesn’t know how to win. Hillary wants no part of ‘Trump.'”
- When asked by moderator Jake Tapper at the March 10 debate why voters should trust he will run the country differently than his businesses, which employ foreign workers and manufacture abroad, Trump explained, “Because nobody knows the system better than me. I know the H1B. I know the H2B. Nobody knows it better than me.” The H1B and H2B are U.S. work visas.
- In an interview with Fox and Friends, the Republican frontrunner said he would kill the family members of ISIS, saying,
“And the other thing is with the terrorists, you have to take out their families. They, they care about their lives. Don’t kid yourself.”
Donald Trump Quotes on Himself
One thing the Republican frontrunner doesn’t lack is confidence and that makes for some interesting and sometimes bizarre moments.
- After Marco Rubio made fun of Donald Trump’s hands, Trump asked at a March 3 debate, “Look at those hands, are they small hands? And, he referred to my hands — ‘If they’re small, something else must be small.’ I guarantee you there’s no problem. I guarantee.”
- In an apology to Kelly and for comments he made about immigration and John McCain, Trump said, “I believe in apologizing. But to apologize for me is very difficult. I definitely would apologize if I were wrong on something.”
- On March 11, Trump admitted at a press conference that there’s two versions of himself, “There’s the public version — and people see that, and I don’t know what they see exactly, but it seems to have worked over my lifetime — but it’s probably different, I think, than the personal Donald Trump.”