Peacock Subscription: Plans, Costs & More
Streaming services like Peacock make it easy to access binge-worthy TV series and some of the hottest movies online. Peacock also includes some benefits that users won’t find with competing streaming platforms like Netflix and Hulu. These benefits include live streaming channels that users can watch anytime, similar to live TV.
Peacock offers multiple plan package tiers at different prices, including a free option. But what is the difference between Peacock’s Premium and Premium Plus plans? And is it worth getting Peacock Premium? Read on to learn more about Peacock’s 2022 pricing and plan options.
What Is Peacock?
Peacock is NBCUniversal’s premium video streaming service. The company is owned by Comcast Media and was launched in 2020 to compete with other streaming services. Peacock hosts a variety of NBC programming, including The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon and The Real Housewives. It also hosts a series of original series and programming, including The Calling, Meet Cute and remakes of classic shows like Punky Brewster and Saved by the Bell.
Shoppers who are interested in trying Peacock should know that the streaming platform offers free account access with limited programming to help users learn more about availability. While Peacock’s free plans will not allow you to access the full range of content available through Peacock, it can provide a good starting point for new streamers.
Peacock Subscription Plans and Prices
There are multiple tiers of Peacock plans and pricing, and the package that each user chooses will determine how much they’ll pay for service and the type of programming available. Users can change, cancel or update their account level at any point. Peacock currently offers the following plan options.
Peacock’s free streaming option is designed for users who are simply interested in testing out the service before they consider buying a plan. As the name suggests, Peacock Free does not have a monthly cost and is a truly free plan option — not a free trial. Users can sign up for a Peacock Free account without inputting a credit card number.
The downside of Peacock Free is that users can only access very limited content. For example, while Peacock Free users can watch the first episode of the hit drama series La Brea, they will need to subscribe to Peacock Premium to watch subsequent episodes.
Peacock Premium is Peacock’s lower-tier subscription package. Users who sign up for a Peacock Free account may want to switch to Premium after getting a feel for the type of content available on the platform. How much is Peacock Premium? This tier of streaming costs $4.99 per month.
What is included in Peacock Premium? Peacock Premium includes access to all of the shows, movies and additional programming available on the app. However, it does also feature commercials during programming, and Premium users cannot download movies and TV shows to take with them when offline.
Peacock Premium Plus
Peacock users who are looking for uninterrupted programming and the most access possible to content may want to consider the streaming service’s highest plan tier, Peacock Premium Plus. Premium Plus accounts contain all of the benefits found on a standard Premium account with ad-free access. Premium Plus users won’t experience ads on most shows and movies and can download content to stream offline.
Peacock Premium Plus costs $9.99 per month and provides ad-free experiences on most content. However, note that due to local streaming rights, some live events may still feature commercials.
This plan can be beneficial for users who frequently take public transportation or who can otherwise benefit from access to offline content. It can also be especially good for anyone who wants to avoid the interruptions of frequent ad breaks.
Where Is Peacock Available?
While Peacock was originally launched to cater to U.S. audiences, users can now sign up for an account in Ireland, the United Kingdom, Austria, Germany, Italy, Switzerland and Portugal. In the future, Peacock has plans to continue expanding internationally, including to the Czech Republic, India, Poland, Australia and more territories.
Is Peacock Worth the Price?
While Peacock does provide users with access to a massive selection of programming through NBC and Comcast, the streaming platform might not be right for everyone. As is the case with most streaming platforms, the decision of whether or not to sign up for Peacock will come down to what content it has available. Thankfully, Peacock makes it easy for users to explore programming choices before deciding whether they want to invest in full account access.
Peacock is unique because, unlike most other streaming services, it offers an entirely free option. While Peacock free will not allow users to watch unlimited shows and movies, it can provide a great way to get to know Peacock without submitting credit card information. Users who are considering buying Peacock Premium should begin with Peacock Free to determine if a subscription account will be worth the extra household expense.
- Is Peacock free?
- Yes, Peacock is absolutely free for the base version. Enter your email address and password to make an account and access the world of entertainment. The streaming service doesn't ask for your credit card information.
- What is Peacock Premium?
- Peacock Premium is a paid version that lets users stream everything on Peacock. In addition to Peacock Premium, the streaming service also offers an ad-free plan called Peacock Premium Plus. You can subscribe to either plan to access Premium features on Peacock by paying $4.99 for the Premium version and $9.99 for Premium Plus.
- Is Peacock free on Amazon Prime?
- No, Peacock Premium is not free as an Amazon Prime member. However, users with an Amazon Fire Stick can download the Peacock app for free and sign up for a free, limited account.
- What is the difference between Peacock and Peacock Premium?
- The term "Peacock" is the overall name of the streaming platform, while Peacock Premium is the name of the platform's mid-tier subscription service. The difference between a Peacock free account and a Peacock Premium account is access to programming, with free users only having access to a small selection of movies and TV shows.
- Is Peacock through Disney?
- No, Peacock is not a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Corporation and does not feature proprietary Disney content. Users who are interested in gaining access to Disney content might want to consider the Disney+ streaming service.
Scott Jeffries contributed to the reporting for this article.
Information is accurate as of Nov. 30, 2022.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.
Our in-house research team and on-site financial experts work together to create content that’s accurate, impartial, and up to date. We fact-check every single statistic, quote and fact using trusted primary resources to make sure the information we provide is correct. You can learn more about GOBankingRates’ processes and standards in our editorial policy.
- The Wall Street Journal. 2021. "Inside Comcast’s Plan to Become a Streaming Giant."
- Deadline. 2022. "Peacock To Add Live 24/7 Access To Local NBC Affiliates In 210 Markets For Subscribers To $10-A-Month Top Tier."
- Variety. 2021. "Peacock’s European Flight on Sky TV Lifts Off in U.K., Ireland This Week."