- Target has a 90-day return period for most items purchased in-store or online.
- Target has an extended return policy for the holidays.
- Item warranties vary by manufacturer.
Although the holidays mean a lot of gift-giving and gift-receiving, there’s also a lot of gift-returning. In 2017, shoppers returned 28 percent of the gifts they purchased, according to a survey reported by Small Business Trends. So, even when you are scouring the internet for the best Target deals in preparation for Black Friday, it might also be wise to take a look at the retailer’s return and item warranty policies.
Here’s a breakdown of Target’s return and warranty guidelines for the holidays and any time of year.
Target’s Holiday Return Policy
To accommodate the busy holiday season, Target has a special return policy for items purchased between Nov. 1 and Dec. 25.
- For electronics and entertainment items purchased during this time, you have 30 days to make an exchange or a return. However, the return period for these items will begin on Dec. 26.
- Normally, all Apple products — except for iPhones — must be returned within 15 days, but the return period for Apple products purchased during the holiday period will actually begin on Dec. 26.
More Savings: 20 Retailers That Offer Free Shipping All Year
Target In-Store Return Policy
For items purchased outside of the holiday season, the standard return policy is as follows:
- You have up to 90 days to make a return or an exchange.
- Most unopened items with a receipt will receive a full refund.
- Items that have been opened, damaged or are without a receipt might not be eligible for a return or an exchange.
Also, please note that some Target items have limited return dates indicated on the receipt, packing slip, Target board policy, Target.com or in the item department, so be sure to check before attempting to return an item.
Target Online Return Policy
The same standard return policy also applies to items purchased at a Target Storefront Partner or any third-party company that sells and ships Target items to you via Target.com and the Target apps.
Target Return Exceptions
During times outside of the holiday, even if you have your receipt and are within the 90-day return period, you still might not qualify for a return. Here’s what to keep in mind:
- Target REDcard debit and credit card holders have 120 days to return items purchased with their Target REDcard. Some limitations do apply.
- All electronics and entertainment items must be returned or exchanged within 30 days.
- All mobile phones must be returned or exchanged within 14 days.
- All Apple products, except for iPhones, must be returned or exchanged within 15 days.
- Personalized items cannot be returned.
- Target stores will not return internationally purchased items.
- Gift cards or any other specialty prepaid card cannot be returned.
- Most beauty products, even if opened, can be returned within 90 days, or 120 days if you’re a Target REDcard holder.
To get the full list of Target return exceptions, visit Target’s website.
Target’s Warranty Policy
Because warranties vary by manufacturer, Target recommends that you call Target Guest Services at 800-591-3869 to receive a full copy of your item’s warranty.
Click through to read more about the best Black Friday deals from 18 major retailers so you can plan your shopping.
More on Shopping
- Target’s Holiday Hours Are Changing This Holiday Season: Here’s The Update
- Top Black Friday TV Deals: Save Hundreds on Samsung, Sharp, LG and More
- Here’s Your Complete Apple Store Thanksgiving Shopping Guide
- Watch: Groceries at Target vs. Walmart
We make money easy. Get weekly email updates, including expert advice to help you Live Richer™.