Black Friday takes place the day after Thanksgiving, and it ranks as one of the most popular shopping days of the year. So it’s important to know if you’ll have unrestricted access to your bank accounts. Black Friday 2019, which falls on Nov. 29, will serve as the official start of the holiday shopping season. As always, many retailers will offer deep discounts, allowing you to save big, both in stores and online.
You might want to find out if your bank is open on Black Friday in case you need to get cash or the banking assistance you need to help you avoid overspending. Here’s a quick look at what this guide will cover:
- Are Banks Open on Black Friday 2019?
- States That Recognize the Day After Thanksgiving as a Holiday
- Credit Unions Closed on Black Friday
- Banks Open on Black Friday
Many companies close on Black Friday so employees can spend time with loved ones or enjoy a day of chasing bargains, but Black Friday isn’t a federal holiday. Most banks are open Nov. 29 because it’s not one of the recognized bank holidays in 2019. However, some branches might have limited holiday hours. To avoid making a wasted trip to your local branch, call first to see if standard operating hours are in place.
Although Black Friday isn’t officially recognized by the federal government, many states do recognize the day after Thanksgiving as a state holiday for one reason or another. That recognition isn’t necessarily in honor of Black Friday. Indiana uses the day after Thanksgiving to celebrate Abraham Lincoln’s birthday, for example, whereas Nevada has designated Nov. 29 as Family Day. Here are the states that recognize the day after Thanksgiving as a holiday:
|States That Recognize the Day After Thanksgiving as a Holiday|
Keep in mind that this list might change in the future. Colorado, for example, did not include the day after Thanksgiving in its 2018 holiday schedule. And Louisiana’s Acadia Day is an optional call for the governor to make each year.
Even though Black Friday is not a federal bank holiday, some financial institutions will be closed for the day, including the following credit unions:
- America’s First Federal Credit Union
- Horizon Credit Union
- Members Credit Union
- Mobiloil Credit Union
- Signature Federal Credit Union
- Teachers Credit Union
- Truliant Federal Credit Union
- Unify Financial Credit Union
- Virginia Credit Union
- Welcome Federal Credit Union
Banks and credit unions located in states that recognize the day after Thanksgiving as a holiday don’t always take the day off. For example, Pennsylvania observes it as a holiday, but The First National Bank & Trust Company of Newtown, which is based in the state, is open.
The following banks will be open on Black Friday, so you can rest easy if you need to do some banking the day after Thanksgiving. If Black Friday is a holiday recognized by your state, double-check with your local bank branch to make sure it’s open.
- American National Bank
- Ameris Bank (closes at 2 p.m.)
- Bank of America
- Bank of the West
- BMO Harris Bank
- Capital One
- Chemical Bank
- Citizens Bank
- Comerica Bank
- Commerce Bank
- Eastern Bank
- Fifth Third Bank
- First Citizens Bank
- Great Western Bank
- M&T Bank
- PNC Bank
- Santander Bank
- Silicon Valley Bank
- U.S. Bank
- Union Bank
- United Bank
- Wells Fargo
- Zions Bank
Check With Your Local Branch on Black Friday
If you need to visit your bank branch on Black Friday, be sure to call ahead to see if it’s operating on a normal schedule. Of course, even if you can’t make it during business hours, you can always visit a nearby ATM or access online banking if necessary.
More From GOBankingRates
- 401(k) vs. Roth 401(k): Which Is Better for Your Retirement Plan?
- 10 Best Checking Accounts of 2019
- Best Rewards Credit Cards of 2019
- Are Banks Open Good Friday?
More Bank Holidays
- Are Banks Open Today? Full List of Bank Holidays
- Banks Open on Sunday
- Banks Open During Passover
- Banks Open on Columbus Day
- Banks Open on Easter Monday
- Banks Open on Easter
- Banks Open on Election Day
- Banks Open on Fourth of July
- Banks Open on Good Friday
- Banks Open on Halloween
- Banks Open on Labor Day
- Banks Open on July 3
- Banks Open on Mardi Gras
- Banks Open on Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Banks Open on Memorial Day
- Banks Open on New Year’s Day
- Banks Open on Patriots’ Day
- Banks Open on Presidents Day
- Banks Open on St. Patrick’s Day
- Banks Open on Thanksgiving Day
- Banks Open on Veterans Day
- Banks Open on Christmas Day
Schedules were sourced from financial institutions’ websites, by contacting financial institutions directly, and from Banks.org and The Holiday Schedule when information was not available. Schedules are subject to change and may vary for individual branches.