Are Banks Open on Columbus Day 2020?
This year, Columbus Day, which is one of 10 federal holidays, falls on Monday, Oct. 12. Although it has been recognized as a federal holiday since 1971, Columbus Day is still a normal workday for much of the corporate world.
Since the early 1990s, there has been a push to rename the holiday to Indigenous Peoples Day. This proposed change acknowledges the presence of Native Americans before European colonialization and recognizes their history and culture. Today, 15 states and Washington, D.C., celebrate Native American or Indigenous Peoples Day, according to Smithsonian magazine.
Are Banks Closed on Columbus Day 2020?
Whether you call it Columbus Day or Indigenous Peoples Day, one thing’s for sure: Oct. 12 is still a bank holiday for most banks. To avoid a wasted trip, verify your bank’s hours before heading to a branch. If your bank is not open, you can conduct online banking transactions or visit an ATM.
Banks Open on Columbus Day
Although most banks are closed on Columbus Day, the following banks will be open:
- American National Bank
- TD Bank
Banks Closed on Columbus Day
Here are the major banks that close in observance of the holiday, so you can plan accordingly. If you bank with one of these financial institutions, you’ll most likely need to wait until Oct. 13 to get to a branch:
- Amarillo National Bank
- Ameris Bank
- Bank of America
- Bank of the West
- Eastern Bank
- First Citizens Bank
- First Horizon Bank
- M&T Bank
- Peoples Bank
- PNC Bank
- Santander Bank
- Union Bank
- Wells Fargo
Banks Closed With Special State Exceptions
Some banks close for Columbus Day but keep certain branches open. See if your bank is one of these:
- KeyBank: KeyBank branches in the state of Utah will be open, but all other branches will be closed.
- U.S. Bank: Most U.S. Bank branch locations will be closed, but some branches may remain open at the discretion of the bank.
Although the regular branches of these banks will be closed Oct. 12, some customer service call centers will be open on Columbus Day — but it depends on the bank. Call your bank before the holiday to find out if you will be able to access your account via phone.
Tips for Banking on Columbus Day
If your bank is closed, you can access your online banking account to check your balance, pay bills or transfer money. ATMs also remain open for the holiday, so you will still have access to your cash. Or you can just do your banking the preceding Friday.
Schedules are subject to change and may vary for individual branches.
This article has been updated with additional reporting since its original publication.
Our in-house research team and on-site financial experts work together to create content that’s accurate, impartial, and up to date. We fact-check every single statistic, quote and fact using trusted primary resources to make sure the information we provide is correct. You can learn more about GOBankingRates’ processes and standards in our editorial policy.
- Library of Congress. "Today in History - October 12 | Library of Congress."
- Federal Reserve Board. "Federal Reserve Board - Holidays Observed - K.8."
- Smithsonian. 2019. "Indigenous Peoples’ Day: Rethinking How We Celebrate ...."
- American National Bank. "2020 Federal Reserve Bank Holiday Schedule | American ...."
- TD Bank. "TD Bank Holiday Schedule."
- Amarillo National Bank. "Locations & Hours | Amarillo National Bank."
- Ameris Bank. "Branch Closures & Alternative Hours | Ameris Bank."
- Bank of America. "Bank of America Financial Center Services FAQs."
- Bank of the West. "Find a branch or ATM - Bank of the West Columbus."
- BBVA. "Bank Holidays - BBVA USA."
- BB&T. "Holiday and ACH Processing Schedule | BB&T Bank."
- Eastern Bank. "Bank Holiday Schedule | Eastern Bank."
- First Citizens Bank. "Bank Holiday Schedule | First Citizens Bank."
- First Horizon Bank. "Holiday Closing Dates - First Horizon Bank."
- M&T Bank. "M&T Bank Holidays - mtb.com."
- Peoples Bank. "2020 Holiday Hours | Peoples Bank."
- PNC. "Corporate Banking ACH Holiday Calendar | PNC."
- Regions. "Regions Welcome Tour | Regions."
- Santander Bank. "Online Bank Account | Personal Banking | Santander Bank."
- SunTrust. "SunTrust Holidays and Time Off | SunTrust Careers."
- Synovus. "Synovus Bank Holiday Schedule - Synovus."
- USAA. 2020. "Find Our Financial Center Locations Across the ... - USAA."
- Wells Fargo. "Holidays - Wells Fargo."
- KeyBank. 2020. "KeyBank Branch Holiday Schedule - Key.com."
- U.S. Bank. "Altoona Branch - Altoona, IA, 50009-1938 - US Bank."
- Union Bank. "Contact Us - Union Bank Customer Service."