Nancy Pelosi, 82, is an American politician who has represented the San Francisco area in Congress since she was elected to the House of Representatives in 1987. She is the first woman to serve as both the minority leader and speaker of the house. Here’s how 35 years working in Congress, plus her other financial endeavors, have impacted her net worth.
Nancy Pelosi’s Net Worth
Pelosi holds an estimated net worth of about $120 million, according to Finty — an increase from her net worth of just under $115 million in 2019, as estimated by OpenSecrets.
Career and Other Income Streams
Pelosi is the highest paid member of Congress, with a congressional salary of $223,500 per year, but her other financial interests and speaking engagements bring in more than $1 million per year.
In 2003, the Democratic caucus first selected Pelosi to serve as minority leader; she served as minority leader from 2003-2007 and 2011-2019. She served as speaker from 2007-2011 and again from 2019 through the present.
Pelosi wears a number of hats in Washington. She is the presiding officer and administrative head of the House and has been a representative of her home district for over 35 years. She also is second in line, after Vice President Kamala Harris, to succeed the president.
In addition to her political career, she and her husband, Paul Pelosi, have invested well and also own a great deal of valuable real estate. Among the couple’s shared properties are an estate in Northern California’s stunning wine country, a home in San Francisco and a condominium in Washington, D.C.
Early Life and Personal Life
Nancy Patricia was the seventh child and only daughter born to Annunciata and Thomas D’Alesandro Jr. in Baltimore, Maryland, on March 26, 1940. Her father was a politician who served as the mayor of Baltimore and was a longtime congressman. She graduated from Trinity College with a bachelor’s degree in political science in 1962 and then got her professional start as an intern to a democratic senator.
She married Paul Pelosi, a venture capitalist and real estate tycoon, in September of 1963. After a short stint in New York, the couple moved to Northern California. They have five children and nine grandchildren. She is also aunt to California Governor Gavin Newsom.
Pelosi Family in the Stock Market
Despite decades as a civil servant, Pelosi’s net worth puts her at No. 6 on the list of richest members of Congress as of 2020, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. While her salary is $223,500 annually, most of her wealth stems from her husband’s business and their shared investments. His firm, Financial Leasing Services, has a track record of wise investments in companies such as Facebook, Apple and Disney.
According to a July 2021 report by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Glenn Greenwald, the Pelosis traded more than $33 million of tech stocks in the preceding two years.
What Is Paul and Nancy Pelosi’s Net Worth?
According to a review of recent financial disclosures, Sludge estimates that the Pelosi’s net worth was more than $171 million at the end of 2021, with an estimated increase of $38.9 million in 2021 alone.
More From GOBankingRates
- 10 Things Boomers Should Consider Selling in Retirement
- These 10 Cars Could Drain Your Savings Through Constant Repairs
- 3 Ways to Recession Proof Your Retirement
- This Is the One Type of Debt That 'Terrifies' Dave Ramsey
FAQHere are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about Nancy Pelosi.
- What does Nancy Pelosi do for a living?
- Nancy Pelosi was a mother and a housewife before she became involved in politics. For over three-and-a-half decades, Nancy Pelosi has represented San Francisco – California's 12th district – in Congress. She has been Speaker of the House for 19 years and also has served as House Democratic Whip.
- How old is Nancy Pelosi?
- Nancy Pelosi was born on March 26, 1940; she is currently 82 years old.
- How much is the Speaker of the House paid?
- The Speaker of the House is paid $223,500 per year.
Our in-house research team and on-site financial experts work together to create content that’s accurate, impartial, and up to date. We fact-check every single statistic, quote and fact using trusted primary resources to make sure the information we provide is correct. You can learn more about GOBankingRates’ processes and standards in our editorial policy.
- Sludge. 2022. "Pelosi Fortune Growing Rapidly, Per New Disclosure."
- United States House of Representatives. "Speakers of the House by Congress."
- United States House of Representatives. "Nancy Pelosi Full Biography."
- United States House of Representatives. "Leadership."
- Congressional Research Service. 2021. "Congressional Salaries and Allowances: In Brief."
- Finty. 2022. "Nancy Pelosi's net worth."
- BBC News. 2022. "Nancy Pelosi: How she rose to the top - and stayed there."