- Consider a store’s return policy when you’re shopping for the holidays.
- Best Buy offers an extended holiday return policy.
- Best Buy also offers further extended returns under its special membership programs.
Return policies can be the gift that keeps on giving, especially if the original one wasn’t. As you prepare your shopping list for the upcoming Black Friday, it’s important to note which stores have the most flexible return policies.
Best Buy is a major electronics retailer whose return policy includes extended warranties under its Geek Squad protection plans. Keep reading to learn what to expect if you desire to return your Best Buy purchase.
Best Buy Return Policies
Best Buy accepts returns on most products within 15 days of purchase. This applies to new, clearance, open-box, refurbished and pre-owned products. However, the return window is extended if you have a special membership — the My Best Buy Elite and Elite Plus memberships. Here’s a breakdown of how long you have to normally return items:
- Most Products
- Standard: 15 days
- My Best Buy Elite Membership: 30 days
- My Best Buy Elite Plus Membership: 45 days
Cell phones and devices that can be activated have a two-week window to return the product no matter what membership you have. Wedding registry items carry a 60-day return policy from the date of purchase on most products.
Best Buy Holiday Return Policy
Best Buy understands how hectic holiday shopping can be. Most products purchased between Oct. 28 and Dec. 28 can be returned through Jan. 12, 2019. This excludes cell phones, devices that can be activated and AppleCare monthly plans.
My Best Buy Elite and Elite Plus members get to enjoy an even longer extended holiday return policy. Elite members have until Jan. 27 and Elite Plus members have until Feb. 11.
Best Buy Restocking Fees
Even My Best Buy Elite and Elite Plus members are susceptible to restocking fees. These fees are included with cell phones, devices that can be activated and some major appliances, including drones and DSLR cameras. Be sure to check the website to see if you’ll need to pay a fee.
- Cell phones, devices that can be activated and unlocked phones: $35 for Verizon and unlocked phones; $45 for AT&T and Sprint.
- Major appliances: 15 percent of the item’s price.
Keep in mind the restocking fee is also dependent on the state you live in.
How to Return a Best Buy Item
You can always return the item to your nearest Best Buy. You can also return by mail via the carrier of your choice. Best Buy also has an option to return the item with a prepaid return label, though note that the return shipping might be deducted from your refund.
Best Buy Warranty
Every product you buy at Best Buy comes with a manufacturer’s warranty. Best Buy also gives you the option of extending that under its own Geek Squad protection plans. These plans can extend your coverage for up to five years, including coverage on accidental damage from handling, drops, spills and similar accidents.
Read more about the best Cyber Monday deals.
More on Shopping
- Walmart’s Black Friday Deals Are Here — See Where You Can Save
- Here’s Your Complete Apple Store Black Friday Shopping Guide
- From Kindles to Coffee Makers, Amazon’s Early Black Friday Deals Have Arrived
- Watch: Groceries at Target vs. Walmart
We make money easy. Get weekly email updates, including expert advice to help you Live Richer™.