Apple is a leader in not only technology but also in marketing. Nothing is more coveted than the new model or next generation of iPhone when it’s released. Sure, this probably means you’ll have to buy a new adapter or charger or a slew of other new items that are only compatible with your new phone, but you’ll have your new phone so what else matters?
This technology doesn’t come cheaply so maybe if you are in the market for a new phone you don’t have to get the newest new phone in order to save a dollar or two.
Apple Event: New iPhones vs. Old iPhones
Apple just released the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro Max which typically causes older models of iPhones to drop in price. This is a good piece of information to keep in your back pocket, because if you don’t specifically put to much stock in the latest and greatest, then you can still get a brand-new phone for much cheaper than it was the day before.
You can also take your old phone and trade it in to get hundreds of dollars off your new iPhone 15 if that is what you have your heart set on. Here are some key takeaways if you want to grab the new iPhone 15:
- Apple Trade In can save you money if you exchange your older model iPhone when purchasing. You can get between $200 to $650 in credit toward an iPhone 15 or iPhone 15 Pro when you trade in an iPhone 11 or higher.
- If you choose to pay with Apple Card monthly installments you can pay over time and those payments will be interest-free as it has a 0% APR payment option for eligible Apple product purchases.
- The new iPhone comes with carrier deals through AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile. You can get trade-in and carrier credits right at Apple for as low as $0.
- The iPhone 15 comes with a one-on-one personal session to get trained on how to use your phone.
When Should You Buy an iPhone?
Aside from the gadgets and gizmos aplenty, if you don’t need all the bells and whistles of the new iPhone 15 and want to focus on getting a new iPhone 14, if you give it a few weeks to a month after the new release you’ll be able to save some money. Here is how it works:
- The iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro will improve on older 14 models in the few weeks following their launch. This means the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max will be revamped and rebranded as iPhone 15 and 15 Pro or Plus.
- If you wait a few weeks or months after the iPhone 15 launch you can essentially get an updated and brand new iPhone 14 for a much lower price.
- If a new iPhone 14 is where you’re leaning with your upgrade, you should also wait until September 2023 or a bit after as you will get a more powerful A16 chip and some additional design changes.
- One of the biggest changes, per Apple’s usual method of switching out convenience for function, is the switch from the Lightning port to the new USB-C.
- September is typically the best month in general to buy a new iPhone as that is when the new model launches. If you don’t want to wait as you consider yourself an early adopter this would be the time to either get the best and newest device possible or a discounted version of a slightly older generation of iPhone.
Final Take To GO
Smartphones are no longer a luxury as they are a necessity for many people to function in their daily lives. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean you have to get the very newest version to survive, and in fact, can find top of the line models just a few generations older for more than a few dollars less. Make sure to research what feature of the iPhone you can and cannot live without before shelling money out for the new iPhone 15.
FAQHere are some answers to frequently asked questions about when the best time to buy an iPhone.
- Will the iPhone 14 price drop in 2023?
- Yes, given the launch of the new iPhone 15, older models such as the iPhone 14 will often be refurbished, updated or discounted through Apple and other retailers. In some cases, the markdown will be substantial so it can be a good time to get a new, if not older version, iPhone.
- What month is best to buy a new iPhone?
- Though sales may vary, generally the best month to buy a new iPhone is September as as that is when the new model launches. If you don't want to wait -- perhaps you might consider yourself an early adopter -- this would be the time to either get the best and newest device possible or a discounted version of a slightly older generation of iPhone.
- Will the price of the iPhone 14 drop when 15 comes out?
- Yes, the prices of older models will drop when new models launch. Not only this but also The iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro will improve on older 14 models in the few weeks following their launch. This means the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max will be revamped and rebranded as iPhone 15 and 15 Pro or Plus.
- If you wait a few weeks or months after the iPhone 15 launch, you can essentially get an updated and brand new iPhone 14 for a much lower price.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.