To start the new year off right, you might want to drop by your bank and make sure your finances are in order. But because New Year’s Day is a standard federal reserve bank holiday, celebrated by most — if not all — banks, be sure to visit your bank before then.
- Banks Open on New Year’s Eve 2019
- Banks Open on New Year’s Day 2020
- How To Access Your Money if Your Bank Is Closed
- 2020 Bank Holidays
Many banks will remain open on New Year’s Eve; however, hours will vary from normal branch hours. Here are some of the banks open on New Year’s Eve:
- Bank of America: Normal branch hours
- Bank of the West: Normal branch hours
- BBVA USA: Normal branch hours
- BB&T: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- BMO Harris Bank: Branches open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Capital One: Normal branch hours
- Chase Bank: Branches open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Citizens Bank: Branches open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Fifth Third Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Huntington National Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- KeyBank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- People’s United Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- PNC Bank: Most branches open 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Regions Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Santander Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- SunTrust Bank: Normal branch hours
- TD Bank: Many branches open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- UBank: Branches open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Union Bank: Many branches open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- US Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Veritex Community Bank: Varies from branch to branch
- Wells Fargo: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Are Banks Closed Today? See Full List of All Bank Holidays
New Year’s Day is a Federal Reserve Bank holiday, so many banks will be closed Jan. 1, 2020.
Keep in mind, however, that many financial institutions have online and mobile banking options that you’ll still be able to access — even if your local branch is closed.
Modern marvels such as online banking and ATM deposits allow you to access your funds even if your bank is closed. Besides being open late — or 24/7 in some cases — many ATMs now have the capacity to deposit your checks, thereby providing you funds that you can then withdraw. Many bank branches even include drive-thru ATMs that are open even when the bank itself is closed.
Using a money order can also be an option for accessing your own funds on the days that your bank is closed. You can also write, endorse and cash in a money order to yourself. The trick is finding a check-cashing place that stays open long enough for you to complete the transaction. Moneytree, a check cashing service, has select branches open on the holidays.
Start off New Year’s Day right by penning this holiday schedule into your calendar.
|2020 Bank Holidays|
|Martin Luther King, Jr. Day||Jan. 20|
|Presidents Day||Feb. 17|
|Memorial Day||May 25|
|Independence Day||July 4|
|Labor Day||Sept. 7|
|Indigenous Peoples Day||Oct. 12|
|Veterans Day||Nov. 11|
|Thanksgiving Day||Nov. 26|
|Christmas Day||Dec. 25|
Every day listed here is a federal holiday, which means your bank will be closed on that day. Always do your due diligence, however, and check your local bank hours to see if this is the case.
Also See: Banks Open on Sunday
More from GOBankingRates
- Here’s Your Citibank Routing Number
- SoFi Review: More Than Debt Refinancing
- Here’s How To Find Your Bank of America Routing Number
- Newest SunTrust Promotions
More on Bank Holidays
- Are Banks Open Today? Full List of Bank Holidays
- Banks Open on Sunday
- Banks Open During Passover
- Banks Open on Black Friday
- Banks Open on Columbus Day
- Banks Open on Easter Monday
- Banks Open on Easter
- Banks Open on Election Day
- Banks Open on Fourth of July
- Banks Open on Good Friday
- Banks Open on Halloween
- Banks Open on Labor Day
- Banks Open on July 3
- Banks Open on Mardi Gras
- Banks Open on Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Banks Open on Memorial Day
- Banks Open on New Year’s Day
- Banks Open on Patriots’ Day
- Banks Open on Presidents Day
- Banks Open on St. Patrick’s Day
- Banks Open on Thanksgiving Day
- Banks Open on Veterans Day
- Banks Open on Christmas Day
Sean Dennison contributed to the reporting of this article.
Bank hours vary by location and are subject to change. Always call your local branch to confirm.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the bank advertiser, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. This site may be compensated through the bank advertiser Affiliate Program.