Are Banks Open on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?
When you’re rushing around until the last minute trying to check off every item on your holiday to-do list, getting to the bank might fall to the bottom. So it’s always helpful to know what’s open over the Christmas holidays in case you have last-minute banking needs. Although most banks aren’t closed on Christmas Eve, you probably won’t be able to bank at a branch on Christmas Day.
Are Banks Open on Christmas Day?
Christmas is a standard Federal Reserve bank holiday and the last bank holiday for 2021, so all banks will be closed on Dec. 25, Christmas Day.
Banks Open on Christmas Eve
Although yours might be closed on Christmas Day, some bank branches will be open for limited or regular hours on Christmas Eve. Here are some banks that will be open on Christmas Eve, Dec. 24:
- Bank of America: Most branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Bank of the West: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- BBVA: Branches open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- BB&T: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- BMO Harris Bank: Branches open 8 a.m to 12-3 p.m., depending on location
- Capital One: Branches open 9 a.m to 2 p.m.
- Chase: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Citizens Bank: Branches open 10 a.m. to 2-3 p.m., depending on location
- Fifth Third Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Huntington: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- KeyBank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- People’s United Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- PNC Bank: Branches open 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Regions: Branches open 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Santander Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- SunTrust: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- TD Bank: Many branches open 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- UBank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Union Bank: Many branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- U.S. Bank: Branches open 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., but hours vary widely
- Wells Fargo: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Most banks observe pre-holidays with operating hours that differ from their usual schedules. Also, some banks have closed certain branch lobbies or imposed restrictions on the types of transactions you can make due to the pandemic. Be sure to call your local branch to confirm its hours of operation on Christmas Eve.
How Can I Access My Money If My Bank Is Closed?
Just because your bank closes early doesn’t mean you won’t be able to access your funds. Many ATMs are available 24/7 and only require that you know your PIN. In the event that your checking account balance is running low but a friend or family member can loan you enough money to get you through the holiday, have them send you a payment through a mobile banking app or a peer-to-peer payment app like Venmo.
If you need to get a money order, you still have options even if your bank closes early on Christmas Eve. Walmart, for example, offers money orders at its Supercenter and Neighborhood Market stores, which are generally open later than banks on Christmas Eve. But Walmart will only cash MoneyGram money orders.
2022 Bank Holidays
Banks shuttering for a federal holiday means you’ll need to do some planning if you bank at brick and mortar locations often. Here’s a complete list of 2022 federal bank holidays to help you schedule your visits.
|2022 Bank Holidays|
|New Year’s Day||Jan. 1|
|Martin Luther King Jr. Day||Jan 17|
|Presidents Day||Feb 21|
|Memorial Day||May 31|
|Independence Day||July 4|
|Labor Day||Sept 5|
|Columbus Day||Oct 10|
|Veterans Day||Nov 11|
|Thanksgiving Day||Nov 24|
|Christmas Day||Dec 25|
Holiday banking can be a little tricky, especially during a pandemic. But some advance planning and research into your bank’s Christmas schedule will help you keep your finances on track this holiday season.
Bank hours vary by location and are subject to change. Always call your local branch to confirm. Information is accurate as of Dec. 24, 2021