Newest BECU Promotions, Bonuses, Offers and Coupons: September 2021
BECU is a Seattle-based financial cooperative that offers the standard lineup of checking and savings accounts, credit cards, loans and investment services. It was once only available for Boeing employees but now accepts members residing in Washington and parts of Idaho and Oregon.
Like many financial institutions, BECU occasionally runs promotions that provide cash bonuses to new and existing members. Banks do this because they want your business, but you can benefit from the free cash by boosting your savings balance or covering an expense.
The BECU promotions included here highlight just some of the ways the credit union helps its members save money and improve their financial health. If you’re interested in earning some extra cash or getting a credit card with a great introductory rate, check out what BECU is offering this month.
BECU Checking and Savings Account: $100 Bonus
Use the promo code NEIGHBOR when opening a new checking and savings account with BECU before the end of the year and complete the qualifying activities to earn a $100 bonus. Benefits of their Member Advantage checking account include 0.50% APY on the first $500 you deposit, no minimum balance requirements and no monthly maintenance fees.
- Cash value: $100
- Minimum deposit to qualify: $0 if you complete qualifying transactions or $500
- Expiration date: Dec. 31
- How to get it: Visit the membership page at the BECU website and use the promo code NEIGHBOR when opening a new Member Share or Member Advantage savings account and also a checking account. Then, either deposit $500 into your new checking account or make at least five qualifying transactions, like making a purchase with your debit card, writing a check or electronic check or making a payment using bill pay. All qualifying activities must be completed within 30 days of opening the account to receive the bonus.
- When you’ll get it: Within 90 days of establishing the qualifying accounts
- Terms and conditions: You must be 18 or older and establish a membership to the credit union by opening the Member Share/Member Advantage savings and checking accounts, and your account must remain open at least 90 days.
- Monthly fees: $0
- Promotion page: BECU checking and savings account offer
BECU Refer-a-Friend: Up To $1,000 Bonus
BECU members and the person they refer can each get $100 when the new member begins using their account. The credit union allows for up to 10 referrals per year, so that’s a potential $1,000 bonus for your bank account.
- Cash value: $100-$1,000
- Minimum deposit to qualify: $0
- Expiration date: Dec. 31, 2021
- How to get it: Head to the offer page to get your unique referral code, plus include the promo code 100REF21 in your invitation. Then, the new member must sign up using both codes and begin using their account, making 10 qualifying transactions (these include making debit card purchases, writing a check or making a payment through bill pay) in the month after they open it, keeping their account open 90 days. Once they complete these requirements, you’ll each get $100.
- When you’ll get it: Within 120 days of the new member completing the requirements
- Terms and conditions: You must be the primary account holder to make a referral. The new member must not have a current membership with BECU or a previous one within the past six months, and they must meet the membership requirements.
- Monthly fees: None
- Promotion page: BECU Refer-a-Friend bonus offer
BECU Home Rewards: Up To 20% of Commission in Cash Back
BECU members can enroll in the Home Rewards program if they’re ready to buy or sell a home. This program pairs members with real estate professionals who guide them through the entire homebuying — or selling — process. At closing, members receive up to 20% back of the agent’s commission for the sale. Here’s how it works:
- Cash value: Up to 20% of real estate agent’s commission
- Minimum spend to qualify: No minimum spend is specified, but you must buy a home in order to qualify.
- Expiration date: None
- How to get it: Enroll in BECU Home Rewards. Use the program resources to buy a home.
- When you’ll get it: After the sale closes
- Terms and conditions: To receive the bonus, you must use a real estate agent referred to you by the program. You may not be already under contract to purchase or sell another home.
- Promotion page: BECU Home Rewards bonus offer
BECU Visa Credit Card: 0% Introductory APR
The BECU Visa credit card is a fee-free card, which means you won’t pay a dime for an annual fee, balance transfer, foreign transaction or cash advance. Plus, it comes with additional perks like travel insurance, roadside assistance and more. Right now, new and current BECU members enjoy 0% APR on balance transfers and purchases for the first year. Here are the details:
- Cash value: N/A
- Minimum spend to qualify: $0
- Expiration date: N/A
- How to get it: Open a new BECU Visa credit card account and keep it open for 12 months.
- When you’ll get it: The introductory APR starts the day you open the account.
- Terms and conditions: The introductory rate applies only to balance transfers made within 90 days of opening the account.
- Annual fee: None
- Promotion page: BECU Visa credit card bonus offer
BECU Cash Back Visa: $300 Bonus
BECU’s Cash Back Visa card earns a respectable 1.5% cash back on all purchases. There’s no limit to the cash back you can earn, and the lack of fees (there’s no annual fee and no fees for balance transfers, cash advances or foreign transactions) adds value.
- Cash value: $300
- Minimum spend to qualify: $3,000
- How to get it: After applying and being approved for the BECU Cash Back Visa, make $3,000 in purchases within the first 90 days of opening your account.
- When you’ll get it: Up to 30 days after meeting the spend requirement
- Terms and conditions: The offer is not available to current cardholders or previous cardholders who have claimed a bonus for this card in the past 12 months. Certain transactions, such as balance transfers, cash advances, fees and gambling wagers do not count as purchases. See the offer page for full details.
- Annual fee: $0
- Promotion page: BECU Cash Back Visa bonus offer
How To Open a BECU Account
To open a BECU account, you need to join the credit union. Anyone who lives or works in Washington state or select counties in Idaho and Oregon may join. Individuals associated with the following organizations are also eligible for membership:
- University of Washington Alumni Association
- Washington State University Alumni Association
- NW Credit Union Foundation
You can make an appointment at a local branch or apply for an account online. Here’s what to provide to open an account:
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license, passport, state or military ID
- Contact information, including a street address and phone number
The credit union does run a credit check on every person who applies for membership.
Are BECU Promotions Worth the Switch?
BECU offers a variety of promotions to fit your financial lifestyle and stacks up to some of the best credit unions in the country. If BECU offers what you need and you meet membership requirements, it may be worth the switch. You’ll be able to take advantage of BECU bonuses and other programs that can save you money, so you reach your financial goals faster. Just don’t make free cash the only factor you use when considering BECU.
Julia Gordon contributed to the reporting for this article.
Information on promotions is accurate as of Aug. 27, 2021. Additional requirements may apply. Offers and terms are subject to change.
Editorial note: This content is not provided by BECU. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by BECU.
This article has been updated with additional reporting since its original publication.