Newest Checking Account Bonuses and Promotions: January 2021
This content is not provided by Citibank. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by Citibank.
Information on promotions is accurate as of Jan. 13, 2021. Additional requirements may apply. Offers and terms are subject to change. For the most up-to-date information on an institution or its accounts, visit its website.
Banks attract new customers through promotional offers like cash bonuses for new accounts. A GOBankingRates survey suggests that many Americans are missing out on this free money because they don’t research banks before opening a new account.
If you’re looking for a new bank or need another checking account, take a look at this list of checking account bonuses. These promotions were selected based on two criteria — the amount of the bonus and the requirements to earn it.
Checking Account Promotions at a Glance
The best checking account promotions for January 2021 include offers from national and community banks. Here’s a quick look.
|Best Checking Account Promotions: January 2021|
|Account||Cash Value of Bonus||Expiration Date|
|Citi Priority Account Package||$700||Jun. 30, 2021|
|Flushing Bank Complete Checking||Up to $700||N/A|
|Associated Bank Checking Accounts||Up to $500||May 31, 2021|
|TD Bank Beyond Checking||$300||N/A|
|Wintrust Total Access Checking||$300||Dec. 31, 2021|
|Bank of America Advantage Banking||$100||June 30, 2021|
Current Checking Account Promotions
Right now, you can earn up to $700 in free money when you open select checking accounts. The largest checking account offers do have higher minimum balance and deposit requirements. But you’ll also find modest bonuses with less restrictive criteria.
Citi Priority Account Package: $700 Bonus
Citi Priority customers enjoy exclusive access to perks like special rates, discounts and preferred pricing on bank products. New customers can also earn a lucrative bonus when they meet minimum balance requirements. Here’s more:
- Cash value: $700
- Expiration date: June 30, 2021
- How to get it: Open a Citi Priority Account Package checking and savings account during the promotional period. Within 30 days, deposit at least $50,000 in new-to-Citibank funds between the checking and savings accounts, and keep the funds there for 60 consecutive days.
- When you’ll get it: Within 90 days after meeting the requirements
- Terms and conditions: The offer is available to new Citibank customers who have not had a Citibank checking account within the last 180 days.
- Monthly fee: $30 (waived with a combined average monthly balance of $50,000)
- Promotion page: Citi Priority Account Package bonus offer
Flushing Bank Complete Checking: Up To $700 Bonus
If you live in New York, consider Flushing Bank. This full-service community bank offers a range of financial products — including checking accounts with no monthly minimums. Right now, new customers can earn up to $200 through the Customer Value Program Activation Bonus and up to $500 via the Customer Value Program Balance Bonus.
Here are the details:
- Cash value: Up to $700
- Expiration date: N/A
- How to get it:
- Open a Complete Checking account at a local branch.
- Receive two direct deposits of at least $250 to earn $100.
- Use your debit card for five transactions of at least $25 to earn $50.
- Complete five online bill payment transactions of at least $25 to earn $50.
- You’ll also receive an additional bonus of $10 to $500 based on a three-month average balance of at least $1,000.
- When you’ll get it: Receive the CVP Balance Bonus the month after meeting the three-month requirement. Receive the CVP Activation Bonus at the end of the month following the completion of qualifying transactions.
- Terms and conditions: You forfeit the bonuses if you close the account in less than six months. The offer is not available to current checking account holders.
- Monthly fees: N/A
- Promotion page: Flushing Bank Complete Checking bonus offer
Associated Bank Checking Accounts: Up To $500 Bonus
Associated Bank is a full-service bank with hundreds of locations in Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin. New customers who open an Associated Access Checking, Associated Balanced Checking or Associated Choice Checking account can earn a bonus worth up to $500. The more you deposit, the more you’ll earn. Here’s how to qualify:
- Cash value: Up to $500
- Expiration date: May 31, 2021
- How to get it: Open a new personal checking account and fund it before the promotion expires. Set up and receive at least $500 in direct deposits within the first 90 days.
- When you’ll get it: Within 120 days of account opening
- Terms and conditions: This offer is available for new customers who have not had an Associated Bank checking account within the last six months.
- Monthly fee: $0, $9 or $25 (can be waived by meeting minimum balance or direct deposit requirements, depending on account)
- Promotion page: Associated Bank checking account bonus offer
TD Bank Beyond Checking: $300 Bonus
TD Bank provides online checking and high-yield savings accounts. New customers can earn a $300 checking account bonus when they meet the direct deposit requirement. Here’s how:
- Cash value: $300
- Expiration date: N/A
- How to get it: Open an account online, and receive at least $2,500 in direct deposits during the first 60 days.
- When you’ll get it: Within 140 days of opening the account and meeting the terms
- Terms and conditions: This offer is available to new customers who have not had a checking account within the past 12 months.
- Monthly fees: $25, but can be waived by keeping a $2,500 minimum daily balance, receiving at least $5,000 per month in direct deposits or maintaining a combined balance of $25,000
- Promotion page: TD Beyond Checking bonus offer
Wintrust Total Access Checking: $300 Bonus
Wintrust serves customers in and around Chicago, southern Wisconsin and northwest Indiana. The bank’s most popular checking account comes with perks like no ATM fees and no minimum balance requirements. You can earn $300 when you open this checking account online. Here’s how to qualify:
- Cash value: $300
- Expiration date: Dec. 31, 2021
- How to get it: Open a checking account online. Enroll in online banking, and activate e-statements via the bank’s website. Receive at least $500 per month in direct deposits for two consecutive months after the month the account was opened.
- When you’ll get it: Within 30 days after the qualification period
- Terms and conditions: The offer is available for new accounts opened between April 1 and Dec. 31.
- Monthly fees: N/A
- Promotion page: Wintrust Total Access Checking bonus offer
Bank of America Advantage Banking®: $100 Bonus Offer
If you like the convenience of banking at a large national bank, take a look at Bank of America’s current bonus. Open one of the bank’s three Advantage Checking accounts, and you can earn a $100 bonus. Here are the details:
- Cash value: $100
- Expiration date: June 30, 2021
- How to get it: Open a new Advantage Banking account during the promotional period. Then, set up and receive two qualifying direct deposits of at least $250 within 90 days.
- When you’ll get it: Within 60 days of meeting requirements
- Terms and conditions: Open the account online and use promotion code DOC100CIS to receive this offer. The offer is only available to new Bank of America personal checking customers who have not been an owner or co-owner of a Bank of America checking account within the last 12 months.
- Monthly fee: $0 to $25 (can be waived with minimum balance requirements, minimum qualifying direct deposits or enrollment in Preferred Rewards)
- Promotion page: Bank of America Advantage Banking® bonus offer
This article has been updated with additional reporting since its original publication.
Information on promotions is accurate as of Jan. 13, 2021. Additional requirements may apply. Offers and terms are subject to change.
GOBankingRates is a personal finance and consumer interest rate website owned by ConsumerTrack Inc., an online marketing company serving top-tier banks, credit unions and other financial services organizations. Some companies mentioned in this article might be clients of ConsumerTrack Inc., which serves more than 100 national, local and online financial institutions. Rankings and roundups are completely objective, and no institution, client or otherwise, paid for inclusion or specific placement. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the companies included in the article. All fees and rates are subject to change at the issuers’ discretion. Some interest rates might be short-term or promotional offers only, and it is possible additional terms and conditions must be met to obtain the interest rates listed. Rates and availability might vary by region. Verify terms and conditions before opening an account.
GOBankingRates bases its assessment of “best” and “top” products on the above-stated parameters to create a baseline for comparison. This assessment is an approximation of “best” and “top” designed to help consumers find products that might be appropriate for them. There could be other options available as well. Consumers should consider various options appropriate for their circumstances.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the bank advertiser, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. This site may be compensated through the bank advertiser Affiliate Program.