Ikea Return Policy: How Long You Have to Return Décor and Furniture
Ikea is more than just a place to go to argue with your significant other as to what end table best goes with your bedroom set, it is also one of the largest discount furniture makers in the world. From plates to patio sets, you can get everything your home needs, but what if you buy something your home doesn’t need?
Ikea is known for its less expensive options for both decorating and furnishing your home. Whatever décor and furniture you decide upon, however, may be subject to change as your space and opinion continue to develop. When this happens, don’t worry about having to sit on furniture you won’t use, or that doesn’t fit. Thanks to Ikea’s return policy, it may be easier to return items than you think.
How To Return Products to Ikea
You can return any unopened Ikea furniture within 365 days of the date of purchase and any opened products within 180 days of the date of purchase. Six months to one year is a generous window of time to decide if you would like to return any items you have purchased or were gifted. To return items within the allotted time frame all you need are the following items.
- The item you wish to return
- Your receipt
- Valid ID, such as a driver’s license, passport, state ID or military ID.
In-store and Online Returns
Once you have everything needed for your return or exchange, head to your local Ikea store and follow these instructions.
- Go through the Exchanges and Returns entrance.
- Follow the signs for the Exchanges and Returns desk.
- Sign up to join the line.
- Show the receipt and your ID to the Ikea customer service agent and return your purchase for a full refund or exchange for a new item.
Removal and Pick-up Service
Depending on where you live, you may also be able to set up the Removal and Pick-up service through Ikea. If this service is available in your area, you set up the pick-up time and move the object to a visible location in front of your home, such as the porch or doorstep.
If it is not available in your area, you have to bring the item back to your local Ikea store. To see if you are able to get Ikea’s Removal and Pick-up services, contact Ikea’s Customer Support Center at 1-888-888-4532 or through a live chat on the Ikea website.
How To Return Products to Ikea Without a Receipt
Ikea has required a receipt to return purchases since 2020. If you do not have your receipt, there is still a chance for a refund, if they can locate your receipt in the system by searching for one of the following options.
- Credit or debit card number
- Gift card number
- Order number, if purchased online
If they can locate your receipt or proof of purchase, you may not be able to get a refund, but you could still be eligible for a merchandise credit. Your eligibility for this credit would be at Ikea’s discretion and would most likely be for the lowest selling price of the purchased item.
Ultimately, it is in your best interest to hold onto the receipt until you’re absolutely certain you won’t be returning your items.
Exceptions to Ikea’s Return Policy
As with most policies, there are always a few exceptions. Ikea’s return policy is no different — certain items cannot be returned or have a much shorter window of time during which you can return them.
For example, you cannot return a mattress for a refund but instead have 90 days to exchange it for another mattress. You can only do this once, after which the mattress sale is final. There are also other items that cannot be returned under any circumstances.
- As-is products
- Custom countertops
- Cut fabric
Additionally, all items must be in their original condition to be eligible for refund or exchange — meaning that if the item is dirty, stained or damaged after you bought it, you will not be able to return it.
There is only so long you can stare at a piece of furniture or random touch of décor before you realize you either love it in your home or only liked it in the picture on the box. Luckily, Ikea offers its customers a wide timeframe in which to decide whether a purchase should stay or go. It is fortunate Ikea’s return policy is so easy, as interior decorating can be quite hard.
FAQHere are the answers to some common questions about Ikea returns.
- Can you return an opened item to Ikea?
- Yes, you can return opened products to Ikea within 180 days of the date of purchase. If the product is unopened, you have 365 days to return it.
- Can I return furniture at Ikea without a receipt?
- Ikea has required a receipt to return purchases since 2020. If you do not have your receipt, there is a chance for a refund if they can locate your receipt in the system by searching for either a credit or debit card number, gift card number or order number.
- Even if they are able to locate your receipt or proof of purchase, you may only be eligible for a merchandise credit.
- What items can't you return to Ikea?
- There are a few products Ikea does not offer its 180- to 365-day return window. For example, you cannot return a mattress for a refund but instead have 90 days to exchange it for another mattress. You can only do this once, after which point the mattress sale is final.
- There are also other items that cannot be returned under any circumstances, such as:
- – As-is products
- – Custom countertops
- – Cut fabric
- – Plants
- Can I return assembled furniture to Ikea?
- Yes, opened or assembled furniture is returnable as long as it is within 180 days of the date of purchase.
- Can you return Ikea furniture if you don't like it?
- Yes, you can return any unopened Ikea furniture within 365 days and any opened products within 180 days.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.