Macy’s wants its customers to be “completely happy” with their in-store or online purchases — or you should return them. That’s why the retailer advertises its returns as being easy. And the store’s return policy also applies to holiday gifts. Of course, there are exceptions to Macy’s return policy for certain items, and fees might apply.
- What Is Macy’s Holiday Return Policy?
- What Other Gifts Can You Return to Macy’s?
- What Can’t You Return to Macy’s?
- Are There Any Exceptions to Macy’s Holiday Return Policy?
- How To Return an Item to Macy’s
- Exchanges vs. Refunds
- How Does Macy’s’ Policy Compare With Other Major Retailers’?
- Who Does Macy’s Return Policy Serve Best?
Don’t Miss: Stores With the Best and Worst Return Policies
Holiday returns at Macy’s apply to gifts purchased from Nov. 1 to Dec. 31. In the event you’re unhappy with your gift, you have until Jan. 31, 2020, to return it.
Other than the return time frame, Macy’s doesn’t have a separate holiday return policy. Instead, Macy’s regular return policy of 90 days applies, with some exceptions. For example, Last Act items must be returned within 30 days of receipt.
Macy’s Return Policy and Restocking Fees
Although most items don’t carry a restocking fee upon return, some do. Plus, the return time allotted to certain purchases might be less than the standard return window. In other words, you might have to hustle to get your money back if you decide you don’t want something in your holiday haul that came from Macy’s. Here are few examples:
|Overview of Macy’s Return Policy and Restocking Fees|
||Return Requirements||Restocking or Pick-Up Fees for Returns|
|Furniture accessories, mirrors and wall art lighting||
|Cosmetics or Fragrances||
Macy’s accepts a wide variety of gifts for returns. Whether the quilted, embroidered purse your grandma gifted you isn’t quite your style or the pots and pans set you received is anodized instead of enamel, here are some gifts you can return to Macy’s:
Although Macy’s will accept a majority of returns, there are items that the retailer simply won’t take back, and some qualify as gifts. Here’s a list of nonreturnables — just in case you end up feeling like gourmet eats or custom jewelry aren’t for you:
- Clearance and as-is merchandise
- Macy’s Beauty Box merchandise
- All Bridal Salon by Demetrios items
- Food and wine gifts
- Fine jewelry special order items or items altered for size
Like other retailers, Macy’s does have exceptions to its return policy that largely apply to holiday returns. Here are some to note, including any holiday purchase exceptions:
- Under regular return policy, Apple smartphones are returnable within 14 days of purchase; all other Apple products within 30 days; Apple products and tech accessories purchased between Dec. 1, 2019, and Jan. 8, 2020, are returnable until Jan. 8, 2020.
- Area rugs purchased on Macys.com are returnable within 30 days; for in-store returns the customer must contact Macy’s within seven days of purchase.
- Lush Cosmetics are only returnable to Macy’s store locations that carry Lush products.
- Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Tous, Gucci and Longchamp brands are returnable within 14 days to a Macy’s store that sells such brands; proof of purchase and tags attached required.
- Dresses must have original tags and proof of purchase attached; mismatched garments not eligible for return.
- In-store fur purchases are returnable to a Macy’s store that features The Fur Vault within 30 days of purchase; furs bought online only returnable via mail; proof of purchase and price tags must still be attached in both cases.
- Last Act purchases are returnable within 30 days with tags attached.
- Maternity wear is returnable within 30 days of purchase, unworn with tags attached.
- Optical wear is returnable within 30 days of purchase; receipt required, with no exceptions.
- Style Your Ring purchases are returnable by mail only within 30 days of receipt.
With the exception of certain items, including those that carry a restocking or pick-up fee, Macy’s makes it easy on its customers by offering free and easy returns for both in-store and online purchases. Free returns do not apply to international orders. In addition, a fee applies for scheduled return pickup where available.
Here’s what you need to know about each type of return.
Aside from any exceptions Macy’s has for its merchandise returns, you can return both online and in-store purchases at one of Macy’s retail locations. Bring the items you wish to return with the receipt and any packing material, if applicable. You’ll also need the original form of payment on hand.
You can start a return for online purchases by visiting the Macy’s return page. Once there, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your account to search your order history, or enter your order number directly on the page. Your order number is located at the top of your order confirmation email or your invoice.
- Select whether or not the item was a gift.
- Verify your order with your email address or phone number.
- Click the red box labeled “View Order Details.”
- Select the item(s) you want to return.
- Print the confirmation and mailing labels.
- Pack up your items, and include the confirmation page inside.
- Attach the mailing label and drop off at a UPS location.
Tips for Returning Items to Macy’s
Macy’s requires that items for return be in original condition and original packaging, if applicable. Items that are altered or worn will not be accepted. Proof of purchase and intact store tags are required for returns. Also, you’ll need to return items within the specified time frames. For example, holiday gifts purchased between Nov. 1 and Dec. 31 must be returned by Jan. 31, 2020, with the exception of some gift items that are nonreturnable or must be returned sooner.
Exchanges at Macy’s vary from refunds in that you can only exchange for an item in-store, not by mail. To exchange an item in-store, you’ll need to bring the receipt, packing slip or invoice along with the items for exchange. If you don’t have the packing slip, a store associate can look up your purchase with your order number, Macy’s charge card, other credit card or registry data.
Macy’s return policy for gifts compares most closely to Amazon’s gift return policy. Here’s a look at how the policies of other major retailers compare for standard and holiday return windows.
|Macy’s Return Policy vs. Other Retailers’|
|Store||Time Frame To Return Gifts|
|Macy’s||Until Jan. 31, 2020, for most purchases made between Nov. 1 and Dec. 31|
|Walmart||Return window extended past 90 days for holiday gifts with 14-day or 30-day return policy; standard returns 90 days, with some exceptions|
|Target||Delayed return window that starts on Dec. 26 for items with standard shortened return window — such as electronics — purchased between Nov. 1 and Dec. 25
90 days for most standard returns; extra 30 days if paid with RedCard
|Best Buy||Until Jan. 14, 2020, for most items purchased between Nov. 1 and Dec. 31
15 days for most products; 30 days for My Best Buy Elite members; 45 days for My Best Buy Elite Plus members
|Amazon||Until Jan. 31, 2020, for items purchased between Nov. 1 and Dec. 31; 30 days for most other purchases; some products might have different return requirements|
Macy’s return policy works the best if you have the original receipt, gift receipt, packing label or credit card you used for the purchase because you will receive a full refund of the purchase price from Macy’s. Even if you don’t have proof of purchase, that doesn’t mean that you can’t return the gift. Macy’s may still issue you store credit for the item’s lowest selling price within the last 180 days.
In addition, Macy’s might issue a Merchandise Only certificate — which can only be used in stores, not online — to customers who don’t have a receipt or who have a receipt that states the item was purchased with a certificate, gift card or check, or was purchased as a gift.
More From GOBankingRates