- With the shopping holidays coming up, it’s time to plan your gift list.
- However, sometimes the real gift is the ability to return it.
- Costco has a famously generous return policy.
Not all gifts are appreciated — and that’s why return policies exist. When shopping for your loved ones’ gifts this year, it’s important to remember the gift itself won’t always be loved. Some people just find it more practical to return a gift they’re not going to use. Understanding your retailer’s return policy can be beneficial for the gift-giver and receiver.
Keep reading for a breakdown of Costco’s return policies and warranties. It’s worth noting that Costco is considered to have one of the most generous return policies in retail.
Costco Return Policy
Costco has a flexible return policy. For example, you can cancel and refund your membership at any time. In terms of purchases, Costco offers the following return policy:
- Electronics: Costco will accept returns within 90 days upon purchase for electronics, which include televisions, projectors, major appliances such as dishwashers, computers and more.
- Diamonds: Costco will inspect the product for authenticity with its own gemologist, and you will receive a Jewelry Credit Memo. This applies to 1.00ct or larger, which will require the returner to have the original paperwork in hand.
- Limited expectancy products: This includes batteries and tires, which might be sold with a specific warranty.
- Cigarettes and alcohol: Depending on where you live, these returns might be prohibited by law.
- Custom products: Cannot be returned unless specified in the warranty.
Plan Your Shopping Now: Costco’s Black Friday Deals Have Leaked
Costco Holiday Return Policy
Costco does not offer a special return policy for purchases made during the holiday shopping season. The regular return policy applies for purchases made at the warehouse at any time of year.
Costco Online Return
The following online return instructions apply to warehouse returns, but you can also return your item online. First, go to the Costco website. Then:
- Select “Sign In/Register” in the upper right-hand corner of the homepage. If you do not have an account, you will have to register for one.
- Click on “My Account.”
- Open “My Orders.”
- Choose the “Return Items” button next to the desired order, and follow the prompts to complete your return request.
- Receive your return label immediately.
The return will be refunded in full — including shipping and handling fees — and will be credited to the credit card used to buy the item.
In some cases, you can even exchange an item, but usually you can just return the item for a refund in full.
Although warranties vary by product and brand, Costco will also extend the warranty to major appliances by two years through its Costco Concierge Services. The extensions cover major appliances like televisions, tuner-free displays, projectors, computers and more. Check with your local Costco to get an exact figure on the warranty range.
See what products Costco is offering for even steeper discounts during its Black Friday sale.
More on Shopping and Saving Money
- Know Target’s Holiday Return Policy Before You Shop
- Skipping This Holiday Expense Could Save You Hundreds This Year
- 15 Best and Worst Deals at Sam’s Club
- Watch: Groceries at Target vs. Walmart
We make money easy. Get weekly email updates, including expert advice to help you Live Richer™.