- Most Walmart items have a return policy of 90 days.
- Walmart offers an extended holiday return policy.
- Walmart offers multiple options for returning your purchase.
A major retailer like Walmart usually guarantees a return policy of some sort. Noting the return policy can be helpful when shopping for Black Friday specials and other holiday gifts in the event the recipient can’t use the gift or wants to return it for something else. So if you’re considering hitting up Walmart for some holiday shopping, keep reading for an overview of the store’s return policy and warranty details.
Walmart Return Policy
Walmart’s return policy varies by department. Although the majority of products have a generous 90-day return window, that does not extend to all products — notably electronics. According to its website, Walmart only allows a 15-day return policy for the following:
- Computer hardware
- Printers (excluding 3D printers)
- Digital cameras
- GPS units
- Digital music players
- Portable video players
- Prepaid cell phones
- Smartwatches and activity trackers
Postpaid cell phones must be returned within 14 days.
Walmart Holiday Return Policy
Walmart has an extended return policy for items purchased between Oct. 28 and Dec. 25. For example, if an item has a 15-day return window, that countdown doesn’t begin until Dec. 26:
- 15 days: New return date of Jan. 10, 2019
- 30 days: New return date of Jan. 25, 2019
- 90 days: No change
Start Shopping: These Are the 49 Stores Open on Thanksgiving and Black Friday
How to Return Your Walmart Item
You can return your item in store or by mail.
If you opt to return a store-purchased item in person:
- Bring the item to the Customer Service desk.
- Bring the original packing materials and accessories, as well as the receipt if available.
If you opt to return an online-purchased item in person:
- Access your account online.
- Select the item, and choose the reason for returning.
- Select Return to Store as your return option.
- Select Finish.
- Print Barcode to print the Store Returns Receipt.
If you opt to return your online purchase by mail:
- Access your online account and select the item you wish to return.
- In your online account, choose Return by Mail.
- Print the return label and attach to the box, and return to a FedEx or UPS location. If you cannot print the label, return the item to a store.
More Deals: Save Hundreds With Target’s Black Friday Deals
Walmart offers protection plans that allow you to file claims on an item. Most claims are approved instantly for repair. Different appliances and products are covered for different damages. According to Walmart’s Terms and Conditions, this coverage can apply anywhere from five days to three years.
More on Shopping
- From Kindles to Coffee Makers, Amazon’s Early Black Friday Deals Have Arrived
- Best Cyber Monday Deals: Savings on Everything From Electronics to Toys
- The Best Black Friday Deals on iPhones, iPads and More Apple Products
- Watch: Groceries at Target vs. Walmart
We make money easy. Get weekly email updates, including expert advice to help you Live Richer™.