Chime®* is a financial technology company that serves as an alternative to traditional banks. It operates an online financial app and offers a simple checking account with no monthly fees and a single savings account. Chime is probably best known for its fast direct deposits, so it might be a good fit if that’s how you get paid. You’ll get your direct-deposited paycheck up to two days earlier1 than with other financial options.
If you are a user of rewards sites, you can earn bonus points for joining Chime. Read on for all the details.
Chime Bonus From MyPoints: Up To 38,400 Points
MyPoints lets you earn points on all your shopping at thousands of top retailers, such as Amazon and Walmart. Users of the site can also claim up to 38,400 points when they sign up for Chime, download the app and receive two qualifying payroll direct deposits2.
- Minimum deposit to qualify: $200 per direct deposit; minimum of two qualifying payroll direct deposits
- Expiration date: Oct. 31, 2023
- How to get it:
- Chime sign-up bonus: To earn 1,000 points, log in to MyPoints and sign up for Chime through the offer page using the email address associated with your MyPoints account.
- Chime direct deposit bonus: To earn 37,400 points, download the Chime app, set up direct deposit, and receive at least two consecutive qualifying direct deposits of paychecks of at least $200 each from an employer, payroll provider or benefits payer. You must receive the first direct deposit within 30 days of signing up.
- When you’ll get it: Within 70 days of receiving the first qualifying direct deposit
- Terms and conditions: You must be a new Chime member, and the qualifying direct deposits must be made by your employer, payroll provider or benefits payer via ACH deposit. Bank ACH transfers, peer-to-peer payments, mobile check deposits and cash deposits are some examples of transactions that would not qualify for the bonus, and the offer cannot be combined with any other enrollment bonuses, including referral bonuses. See the promotion page for details.
- Monthly fee: None
- Promotion page: Chime offer from MyPoints
Opening a Chime Account
Chime makes opening an account simple. Besides needing an internet connection, mobile phone or computer, you’ll need to be at least 18 years old and a U.S. citizen or resident. You can apply through the website or by downloading the Chime mobile app for iPhone or Android. Chime claims the process only takes a couple of minutes.
Is Chime Right for You?
You’ll also be able to pay most of your bills and transfer money between accounts through the Chime mobile app, and if you’re eligible, you can take advantage of the mobile check deposit3 feature.
If you need to regularly make cash deposits, however, Chime probably wouldn’t be right for you. Chime offers no-fee cash deposits at Walgreens. Deposits made at other locations may be subject to a transaction fee charged by that retailer4.
More on Chime
Julia Gordon contributed to the reporting for this article.
This article was updated to include additional disclosures from Chime.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.
This article has been updated with additional reporting since its original publication.
*Chime is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services provided by, and debit card issued by, The Bancorp Bank, N.A. or Stride Bank, N.A., Members FDIC.
1 Early access to direct deposit funds depends on the timing of the submission of the payment file from the payer. Chime generally makes these funds available on the day the payment file is received, which may be up to two days earlier than the scheduled payment date.
2 See https://www.mypoints.com/discover-offer?id=12332 for details.
3 Mobile Check Deposit eligibility is determined by Chime in its sole discretion and may be granted based on various factors, including, but not limited to, a member’s direct deposit enrollment status.
4 The retailer that receives your cash will be responsible for transferring the funds for deposit into your Chime Checking Account. Cash deposit fees may apply if using a retailer other than Walgreens.