You might need your bank routing number for anything from signing up for direct deposit or ordering new checks to sending money to friends and family. Use this guide to find your Wells Fargo routing number instantly.
Wells Fargo Routing Numbers by State
Here’s an at-a-glance look at the Wells Fargo routing number for each state:
|State||Wells Fargo Routing Number|
|Texas – El Paso||112000066|
Different Numbers for Wire Transfers
Wire transfers are fast and secure. Because wire transfers are a top priority, they often have separate routing numbers so financial institutions can process them differently. International wire transactions require SWIFT codes, which are international bank codes that identify particular banks worldwide.
Here are Wells Fargo’s wire transfer numbers:
|Type of Transfer||Wells Fargo Wire Transfer Number|
|Domestic wire transfer||121000248 (routing number)|
|International wire transfer||WFBIUS6S (SWIFT code)|
What Is a Routing Number?
The routing number on a check is sometimes referred to as the ABA number or check routing number. The American Bankers Association created the bank routing number in 1910 as a way to process paper checks and enable banks and credit unions to accurately send and receive funds to and from other financial institutions. Your Wells Fargo routing number is unique to the area where you opened your account.
Banks Can Have Multiple Routing Numbers
A bank’s primary routing number is assigned based on the location of its principal office. Banks are eligible to receive additional routing numbers if necessary to keep payments and collections routed properly. Smaller banks and online-only financial institutions may just use one or a handful of routing numbers. Larger banks might have routing numbers for each state in which they operate.
Because some financial institutions have multiple routing numbers, it’s important to ensure you’re using the correct one before you initiate a transaction.
How To Find Your Wells Fargo Routing Number on a Check
If you have a Wells Fargo checking account, you can also find your routing number on a check — the check routing number is the first nine numbers in the lower left corner. Refer to the illustration below to see where you can find your routing number.
You might not have a check handy, however, so you can also call Wells Fargo anytime at 800-869-3557 to find the routing number for your account. If you are at all confused about which number to use, you should consider calling Wells Fargo because using the right number could mean the difference between your money going into the right or wrong account.
Know Your Routing Number
Remember that the routing number on a check might be different from the one you’d use for a wire transfer. You might want to check with your financial institution before you engage in transactions that require accurate routing number information — if the sequence is off by a single digit, you may incur processing delays.
You’ll need your Wells Fargo routing number to set up direct deposit for your paycheck, to facilitate automatic payments and for other transactions. Routing numbers are also necessary for wire transfers, whether in the U.S. or with an international bank. Finding your routing number isn’t hard; simply use the one you see on your checks or contact Wells Fargo directly if you need one-on-one assistance.
- Why does Wells Fargo have multiple routing numbers?
- Wells Fargo uses multiple routing numbers that vary depending on where you opened your bank account and your account type. If you need to receive a wire transfer to a Wells Fargo account, the sender will need to use a specific routing number if the transaction is domestic or a SWIFT code if the transaction is international.
- Whose routing number is 121000248?
- Wells Fargo uses the routing number 121000248 for all domestic wire transfers.
- How do I check my Wells Fargo routing number?
- You can confirm your Wells Fargo routing number by logging in to your Wells Fargo account online. Simply select the account you need routing information for, and the routing number will appear. You can also call Wells Fargo at 800-869-3557 if you need help.
- Where can I find a bank's routing number?
- If you need to find a routing number for your bank account, check directly with your financial institution. Some banks list their routing numbers on their website, or you can find them by logging in to your bank account online or on mobile. If you need help, you can call the bank or stop at your nearest branch for assistance.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.