If you are an iPhone user, you have probably discovered the ease and convenience of Apple Pay. Whether you’re making an in-app purchase, buying something online or using your phone to get on public transportation, Apple Pay makes it fast and easy to pay on the go.
You may be wondering if you can get cash back with Apple Pay, the way you can with a credit card and some debit cards. Here’s what you need to know.
Using a Cash-Back Card With Apple Pay
You can get cash back when you use Apple Pay, under certain circumstances.
- The store accepts Apple Pay.
- The card linked to your Apple Pay offers cash back.
1. The Store Accepts Apple Pay
Fortunately, many stores accept Apple Pay as a form of payment — though not all of them do. You can tell which ones do because you’ll see the Apple Pay logo on the payment terminal.
You can also search for stores that accept Apple Pay by searching “Apple Pay” in Google Maps — it will show you nearby stores that will let you pay this way.
2. You’re Using a Cash-Back Card
The debit or credit card that you use with Apple Pay must offer cash-back rewards. The card will process an Apple Pay transaction as it would any other transaction, and the cash back will be credited in the same way it is when you use the physical card.
The amount of cash back you get depends on the credit or debit card you are using. The fact that you’re using Apple Pay instead of swiping your card doesn’t change the way cash back is calculated or awarded. Be sure that the credit or debit card that you use for Apple Pay is the one with the most generous cash-back program, so you can take full advantage.
Setting Up Apple Pay
Adding a card takes just a few simple steps:
- From the Wallet app, tap the + symbol.
- Scan the card with your device’s camera.
- Follow your bank’s instructions.
If you have more than one credit or debit card in your Apple Wallet, you’ll need to select one of them as the default. You can always change it as needed, but using the card with the best cash-back rewards program as your default will help you earn the most cash back on your purchases without having to think about it.
Using the Apple Card
If you have an Apple Card and you use that as your Apple Pay payment method, you can earn even more cash back. You’ll get 2% cash back on all purchases made with Apple Pay. You’ll also earn 3% cash back on Apple products and at specific merchants, including Uber, Walgreens and Nike in the U.S.
If you use your Apple Card at a merchant that does not accept Apple Pay, you still get 1% cash back.
Getting Cash From an ATM With Apple Pay
You can also withdraw cash from some ATMs using Apple Pay, if you have a debit card in your Wallet. Banks that allow you to withdraw cash at some ATMs include:
- Bank of America, Member FDIC
- Capital One
- American Express, Member FDIC
- Barclays Bank
- U.S. Bank
- Wells Fargo
Note that in order to withdraw cash from an ATM using Apple Pay, you will need to find an ATM that uses near-field communication, otherwise known as being NFC-enabled. Not all ATMs are NFC-enabled, so look for the contactless symbol or the Apple Pay logo.
How To Use Apple Pay To Withdraw Cash From an ATM
In order to withdraw cash from an ATM with Apple Pay, you will need to have a debit card in your Apple Pay Wallet. When you open the wallet and select your debit card, you can then tap your phone on the contactless symbol or the Apple Pay logo on the ATM.
You’ll be asked to verify your request with Face ID or Touch ID, and you may be asked to enter your debit card’s PIN.
Earning cash-back rewards on your debit or credit card is a nice way to put a few bucks back in your pocket when you make purchases. Choosing the right card as your Apple Pay default payment method will help you make the most of the cash-back rewards program, so you can watch those dollars add up!
FAQHere are some quick answers to common questions about using Apple Pay to get cash back.
- What stores give cash back with Apple Pay?
- You can get cash back on your credit card through Apple Pay at any store that accepts Apple Pay as a payment method, including Target, Taco Bell, Walgreens and McDonald's, among many others. You just have to make sure you have a cash-back card in your Wallet and choose it as your payment method for the transaction.
- Some stores, like Walmart and Kroger, do not accept Apple Pay, so it's a good idea to check before you go.
- Can you get cash back at an ATM with Apple Pay?
- Yes, you can get cash back at some ATMs with Apple Pay if you have a debit card in your Wallet. Not all ATMs are able to accept Apple Pay, however.
- Can you get cash back with Apple Pay without a card?
- You must have a card added to your Wallet to get cash back with Apple Pay, but you don't need the physical card with you – you just need the device you have Apple Pay on, like your iPhone or Apple Watch.
Information is accurate as of April 11, 2023.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.