Can You Use PayPal on Amazon?
Since Amazon is one of the most significant worldwide retailers and PayPal is one of the most popular payment methods, it’s natural to want to use the two together. However, can you use PayPal on Amazon?
The short answer to this question is no. PayPal is not available as a payment option on Amazon and will likely never be. It is possible, however, to use a PayPal debit card to pay for items or use your PayPal account to buy Amazon gift cards elsewhere.
Keep reading to find out the details on these two strategies and why Amazon doesn’t accept PayPal in the first place.
Does Amazon Accept PayPal?
Amazon does not accept PayPal as a payment method, and there are two main reasons for this. The first is that PayPal was formerly an acquisition of eBay, one of Amazon’s main competitors. EBay bought PayPal in 2002, and the two companies have worked closely together ever since.
The second reason is that Amazon has its own payment service, Amazon Pay, so it doesn’t make sense to accept its direct competitor.
How To Use PayPal on Amazon
Although Amazon doesn’t accept PayPal directly, there are a few ways to get around this rule and buy items using the funds from a PayPal account.
Make Purchases With a PayPal Debit Card
PayPal offers both personal and business accounts the opportunity to request a PayPal debit card. Filling out an application does not affect a user’s credit score since the card is a debit card, not a credit card.
With the PayPal debit card, users can make purchases at any store that accepts Mastercard payments, including Amazon. The card withdraws money from the user’s PayPal account to make payments, which is essentially the same as paying with PayPal.
You can also add money to the card via the PayPal app or by using cash at one of over 90,000 retail locations in the United States. It’s even possible to withdraw cash at an ATM using PayPal’s debit card.
Buy Amazon Gift Cards Using PayPal
The other trick that allows customers to buy from Amazon using PayPal involves gift cards. It’s possible to buy Amazon gift cards at various retailers other than Amazon itself. To make this strategy work, you need to look for gift cards at retailers that accept PayPal payments.
One example is Dundle, which allows customers to buy gift cards by choosing a value between $5 and $100 and checking out with PayPal. The electronic gift card is instantly delivered to the buyer’s email address.
This can be an acceptable tactic for one-off purchases, but it might become tedious to keep buying gift cards for frequent Amazon orders. For customers who want to buy from Amazon often and repeatedly use their PayPal funds, requesting a PayPal debit card is the quicker option.
Unfortunately, Amazon doesn’t accept PayPal for competitive reasons, but it is possible to overcome this hurdle. Using a PayPal debit card is quick and simple with no significant drawbacks, so it is the perfect way for PayPal users to buy from Amazon.
FAQHere are some frequently asked questions about using PayPal with Amazon.
- How do I add PayPal to my Amazon account?
- Unfortunately, adding PayPal to an Amazon account is impossible because Amazon prefers customers to use Amazon Pay. You cannot link your PayPal account to your Amazon account or add it as a payment option when checking out.
- However, you can use PayPal debit cards and Amazon gift cards purchased with PayPal to make purchases on Amazon with PayPal funds.
- Is a PayPal debit card free?
- Yes, there is no fee for setting up an account or requesting and receiving the card. There is also no monthly fee charged for using the card, and no minimum balance is required. However, a fee of up to $4.95 will apply when loading cash to a PayPal account using the card.
- Can you use an Amazon gift card for anything?
- With just a few limitations, you can use Amazon gift cards to buy almost anything on the Amazon site. These limitations include purchasing other Amazon gift cards, prepaid open-loop cards or some third-party gift cards. Other than these restrictions, any item on the web store is available for purchase with a gift card.
- Why is PayPal not on Amazon?
- PayPal is not an accepted payment method on Amazon because of its affiliation with eBay, Amazon's close competitor. Another reason why PayPal is not directly accepted is because Amazon has its own payment service, Amazon Pay.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.
Our in-house research team and on-site financial experts work together to create content that’s accurate, impartial, and up to date. We fact-check every single statistic, quote and fact using trusted primary resources to make sure the information we provide is correct. You can learn more about GOBankingRates’ processes and standards in our editorial policy.
- BBC News. 2021. "eBay sellers can no longer use PayPal under new terms."
- Forbes. 2022. "The World’s Largest Retailers 2022: Pandemic Helps Amazon Cement Its Lead."
- Payments Journal. 2021. "Ranking the Top Used Payment Services for Online Shopping."
- Business Insider. 2022. "Can you use PayPal on Amazon? Not directly, but try 2 workarounds instead."