Home improvements don’t have to leave you strapped for cash. The Home Depot consumer credit card makes it easy to tackle repairs and update your home, thanks to special everyday Home Depot financing with no interest for six months on purchases totaling $299 or more.
Additional perks include one-year hassle-free returns and up to 24-month special financing on certain promotions, plus a convenient online portal for making your Home Depot credit card payment. Here’s what you need to know about getting approved for a credit card from the Home Depot.
Applying for a Home Depot Credit Card
To be approved for a Home Depot credit card offer, you must be a resident of the United States. Whether you apply online or in person, the approval process usually takes place on the spot, and you will receive your card within 14 days. In the event the Home Depot can’t provide an instant credit decision, you’ll be notified within 30 days by U.S. mail to advise you of your application status.
Although you can look at your credit report and credit score to gauge your chances of being approved before applying, there’s an easier way. You can use the Home Depot’s pre-qualification tool to see if you’re pre-qualified for the Home Depot consumer credit card. It’s a quick, “soft” credit check that won’t impact your credit score.
Follow these directions for how to correctly apply for a Home Depot credit card so that you can improve your chances of getting approved:
Apply Online for a Home Depot Card
- Visit the Home Depot’s online credit center and find the Home Depot consumer credit card offer.
- Click the orange “Apply Now” button to access the online credit card application.
- Fill out the online application. Provide your full name, email address, street address, phone number, financial information, Social Security number and date of birth.
- Read the account terms and details, and then check the agreement box.
- Click the orange “Submit Application” button to process your application.
- Once approved, you’ll get an online confirmation noting your credit limit.
- Take the confirmation to your nearest Home Depot store to receive your temporary card information and a $25 coupon to use for a Home Depot purchase of $25 or more. The coupon is good for 30 days.
Also See: Best Home Improvement Loans
Apply in Person for a Home Depot Card
- Find a local Home Depot store and visit the Special Services desk.
- Tell the associate you want to apply for a Home Depot consumer credit card.
- Fill out the application by providing your full name, email address, street address, phone number, financial information, Social Security number and date of birth, and then wait for your approval.
- The associate will give you your temporary credit card account information and a $25 coupon. You can charge purchases to your account right away. Call the Home Depot’s consumer credit card customer service line at 866-875-5488 if you have questions about your account.
How to Improve Your Chances of Getting a Home Depot Card
Being approved for any credit card isn’t guaranteed, even if you are pre-qualified. Lenders still need to evaluate other factors — such as your income, for example — before final approval. Here are some steps for improving your chances of getting a Home Depot card:
- Get a copy of your credit report and make sure there are no errors.
- Contact the credit bureau to dispute any errors, and check your credit report again before reapplying.
- Apply for a secured credit card, which requires a deposit, to build positive credit history if you still can’t get approved.
- Reapply for the Home Depot card once your report reflects positive credit history.
A credit card rejection doesn’t mean you’ll never get approved. Instead, find out what’s blocking the approval and take steps to correct it, so you can get the credit card you want.
Up Next: Best Store Credit Cards