Target is often referred to as the black hole of shopping, as you go in for a bar of soap and come out with $200 worth of toiletries and a new design scheme for your bathroom. If you are prone to impulse buying, worry not because when the shopping is this easy, so should be the returning.
What Is Target’s Return Policy?
Target’s return policy ensures a refund or exchange for returned items that are new or unopened within 90 days. Certain items may have a modified return policy. This policy can be found on the receipt, packing slip, Target policy board, Target.com or in the item’s description. Opened or damaged items or items without a receipt might be denied an exchange or refund.
Here are six tips to get the most out of your refund with Target’s return policy.
1. How To Return Items to Target
If you have your receipt, the return policy is pretty straightforward. If you do not, it is more difficult but not impossible.
How To Return Items to Target With a Receipt
Here is what you need to know about returning your items with a receipt, whether it is in-store or online.
For regular returns, take the item and your receipt, packing slip or order details page to the Guest Services counter at a Target store. The Target team member can also look up receipts using your original payment method.
For gift items, take the item and gift receipt or packing slip to the Guest Services counter at a Target store. You’ll receive a refund in the form of a Target gift card with these exceptions:
- In-store returns accompanied by a gift receipt aren’t eligible for same-day processing.
- Gifts returned without a gift receipt or packing slip might receive a merchandise return card — valid only for in-store purchases — instead of a Target gift card.
If the item was purchased from Target.com, you can return it by mail, or you generally can return it to a store. You’ll need to find the order on Target.com and follow the prompts in the Return section to get a return label. You can also contact Target.com Guest Services at 800-591-3869 for further information.
How To Return Items to Target Without a Receipt
Check your Target.com account for the receipt or a return barcode, or bring the item and your purchase payment method to the Guest Services counter at a Target store. For Target.com purchases, you can show confirmation emails and order barcodes in place of a receipt. If you have the Target app, you can pull up a digital receipt if you’ve lost the paper version.
2. Target’s Return Policy: RedCard vs. Other Payment Methods
The time frame to return or exchange items changes according to the method of payment used. Here are the details on Target’s return policy for credit card purchases and for purchases made with other forms of payment:
|Payment Method||Return Policy|
|Target RedCard||Additional 30 days to return most items — on top of the regular 90-day return policy|
|Third-party credit cards and all other forms of payment||90-day return policy on most items in new condition|
3. Target’s Return Policy for Electronics
Under Target’s regular return policy, electronics and entertainment items must be returned within 30 days to receive a refund or exchange. Apple products, with the exception of iPhones, must be returned within 15 days. If you purchase a mobile phone at a Target store or order one at Target.com and pick it up at a store, you’ll have 14 days to return it.
4. Items That Cannot Be Returned to Target
Unfortunately, there are some items you can’t return to Target. For example, that air mattress your grandma bought for you to sleep on during your weekend visit and then gifted to you? It’s only available to exchange for a similar item. Here are some other items that you can’t return to Target:
- Open or defective collectible items, such as special edition Barbies, action figures and die-cast cars
- Personalized or digital download items
- Open video games, software, music and movies are only exchangeable for the same title on the same gaming platform or a different gaming platform
- Target gift cards, unless required by law
- Restaurant, entertainment and lottery cards, as well as other specialty or prepaid gift cards
5. Other Limitations Under Target’s Return Policy
When returning items to Target, it helps to know a few more things so your return will go as planned. Here are some other tips to note:
- Refunds to a Target RedCard can take one to two days; refunds to a third-party credit card can take up to five days.
- For refunds in the form of a merchandise return card, you can only check the card’s balance and make purchases in a Target store.
- Large items like furniture and electronics might be eligible for pickup; call Target.com Guest Services at 800-440-0680 to find out if your item is eligible.
6. Exceptions to Target’s Return Policy
Besides the items you can’t return to Target, there are some other exceptions to Target’s return policy. Here’s a quick rundown:
- Items from Target-owned brands fall under a one-year return policy with a receipt.
- Target RedCard debit or credit card holders get an additional 30 days to return most purchases made at Target stores and Target.com with their RedCard.
- Holiday items and limited-time-only collections may be subject to modified return policies.
Now that you know more about Target’s policy, you can decide what to do next, whether you are shopping or need to return an item. Making the most out of your refunding ability only enhances your shopping experience.
FAQ on Target's Return PolicyHere are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about Target's return policy.
- Do you need your credit card to return an item at Target?
- Yes, having your method of payment along with your receipt will make it easy to return items to Target. If you don't have the credit card you used, Target customer service may be able to look up your information. However, this may mean you only get store credit as opposed to a full refund if they are able to verify your purchase.
- What is Target's return policy for purchases made with a RedCard?
- For purchases made with a RedCard, Target's return policy offers an additional 30 days on top of the regular 90 days to return most items.
- Can you buy something with a credit card and return it for cash?
- No, in most cases the refund will automatically go back to the original credit card or other form of payment used.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.
The article above was refined via automated technology and then fine-tuned and verified for accuracy by a member of our editorial team.