Sending money has never been easier than it is today with such platforms as PayPal or Venmo. In recent years, Venmo has seemingly become the fan favorite — thanks in large part to its user-friendly interface and social interaction capabilities.
A peer-to-peer payment platform can be useful, but it also is not without its risks. If you are not using your personal or business account anymore for any reason, it may make sense to delete your Venmo account.
How To Delete Your Venmo Account
Before you take steps to close your account, make sure you have no existing balance or pending transactions. Any funds have to be transferred from your Venmo account to your bank account before you can delete your Venmo account.
When you’re ready to close or deactivate your personal Venmo account in the app, you can simply follow these steps under your account profile.
Steps To Close Your Venmo Account
- Me tab: Navigate to the Me tab by either clicking on your profile photo or initials.
- Settings: Click on the Settings option in the top right corner — it looks like a gear.
- Account: Under Preferences, open Account.
- Close Venmo Account: Choose Close Venmo Account
- Confirm: Click on the prompt to confirm you would like to close your Venmo account.
If the closing of your account was successful, you will receive a confirmation email with a copy of your transaction history.
How To Delete Your Venmo Account on the Computer
Though most people use Venmo on their cell phones, you are able to close your account on your laptop or desktop computer. To do so, follow these steps.
- Sign in to your Venmo account through your preferred web browser.
- Go to your account settings.
- Select Close my Venmo Account.
How To Delete Your Venmo Business Profile
In order to delete your business profile account, you will need to contact Venmo through the help center on Venmo.com. There are factors you need to be aware of before deleting your business profile.
- You have the option to close your business profile without having to close your personal account.
- Once deactivated, Venmo does not allow you to reactivate your business profile.
- Venmo does not allow you to start a second business profile associated with your personal account.
Deleting your Venmo account is a pretty straightforward process. Make sure you are aware that once you close your Venmo account, you cannot easily reactivate it — you have to create a new one and reenter your bank account information. Though you will get a copy of your transaction history via email upon closing, your new account will not contain the same transaction history or other stored account information.
FAQHere are some quick answers to common questions about closing a Venmo account.
- Why can't I delete my Venmo account?
- You may not be able to close your personal Venmo account if you have an open balance, any pending transactions or an open case for your account. If you know you don't have a balance or pending transactions, you'll need to contact Venmo customer support to find out why you're unable to delete your account.
- If you are trying to close a business account, you must contact the Venmo Help Center.
- Is closing a Venmo account permanent?
- Yes, once you close your personal Venmo account, you cannot get it back. In order to use Venmo again, you have to create a new account and add your bank account information.
- If you close your business profile for your Venmo account, you will not be able to reopen it under the same personal account.
- Can you delete your Venmo account and make a new one?
- Yes, you can delete your personal Venmo account and make a new one if your existing account does not have any open cases against it.
- However, once you delete a business profile, you cannot reactivate again under the same personal account or start a second business profile under that account. You'd have to use a different personal account.
- Can you delete a Venmo account for a deceased person?
- Yes, if you are the executor of the deceased person's estate and therefore have rights to monitor the digital afterlife of that person. With these rights should come access to their phone or account information.
- Can you cancel your Venmo?
- Yes, you can cancel or delete your Venmo account as long as you withdraw the full balance and have no pending transactions or open cases on the account.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.
Discover the Best Banks of 2024: Unveiling Our Top Picks!
We've compiled a list of the top banks for this year!
Here Are the Pros and Cons of Using Multiple Banks
Many banks are one-stop-shop financial institutions...