- Steps To Open a US Bank Account
- What To Do If You Need Help From US Bank Customer Service
- US Bank Account Fees and Features
- How To Avoid Unwanted Fees
- Monitoring and Protecting Your Bank Account
- Should You Open a US Bank Account?
- Easy Checking: Best for people who don’t need much from their bank; fewer fees and hassle
- Gold Checking: Best for people also looking to use a US Bank credit card or loan
- Platinum Checking: Best for people with more money to deposit who want to earn interest
- Student Checking: Best for students
- Safe Debit Account: Best for people new to banking; no checks or overdraft fees
- Standard Savings Account: Best for first-time savers with lower balances
- Platinum Select Money Market Savings: Best for people who also have a Platinum Checking Account
- Package Money Market Savings: Best for people who also have a Gold Checking Account
- Elite Money Market Account: Best for people with a higher balance who want to earn more interest
- Retirement Money Market: Best for retirement planners who want a tax-advantaged account
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license, state-issued ID or military ID (must be at least 18)
- Contact information (phone number, email, address)
- Opening deposit
- Go to the US Bank account page.
- Choose the type of account you’d like to open (checking, savings or CD)
- Click the button that says “Apply now” on the account you want to open
- Fill out the necessary information
- New accounts: 800-653-2175
- General questions: 800-872-2657
|US Bank Checking Accounts at a Glance|
|Fees and Features||Easy Checking||Gold Checking||Platinum Checking||Student Checking||Safe Debit Account|
|Minimum opening deposit||$25||$25||$25||$25||$25|
|Monthly service charge||$6.95 (may qualify to waive fee)||$14.95 (may qualify to waive fee)||$24.95 (may qualify to waive fee)||$0||$4.95 (can’t be waived)|
|Out-of-network ATM withdrawal fee||$2.50||$0 for first two withdrawals every month, then $2.50||$0||$0 for first four withdrawals every month, then $2.50||$2.50|
|Overdraft fee||$36 for an overdraft of more than $5||$36 for an overdraft of more than $5||$36 for an overdraft of more than $5||$36 for an overdraft of more than $5||$0|
|Benefits||Low minimum deposit and threshold to waive fees||100 free trades a year with a self-directed brokerage account||Interest-bearing account with 100 free trades a year through a brokerage account||Easy banking with no monthly fee||No overdraft fee|
|US Bank Savings Accounts at a Glance|
|Fees and Features||Standard Savings Account||Platinum Select Money Market Savings||Package Money Market Savings||Elite Money Market Account||Retirement Money Market|
|Minimum opening deposit||$25||$25||$25||$100||$100 (or $25 monthly deposit)|
|Monthly service charge||$4 (may qualify to waive fee)||$0||$0||$10 (may qualify to waive fee)||$0|
|Out-of-network ATM withdrawal fee||$2.50||$2.50||$2.50||$2.50||N/A|
|Overdraft fee||$36 for an overdraft of more than $5||$36 for an overdraft of more than $5||$36 for an overdraft of more than $5||$36 for an overdraft of more than $5||N/A|
|Benefits||Low deposit and balance minimums||Tiered interest rates based on balance.||Tiered interest rates based on balance.||Tiered interest rates based on balance||Tiered interest rates based on balance.|
- Know how much money is in your account so you don’t accidentally overdraw it and incur the $36 fee.
- Get cash from in-network ATMs, which can be found across the country.
- Maintain a minimum balance to avoid monthly fees, or have recurring direct deposits equaling a certain amount regularly.
- The requirements to avoid monthly fees are different for each account, so know what they are before you open the account.
- Don’t withdraw from your savings account more than six times per statement cycle.
- Use strong passwords.
- Enable two-factor authentication, meaning your account is accessed with a two-step process including a password and fingerprint or face scan.
- Install cybersecurity protection on your computer and phone.
- Monitor your transaction history for suspicious activity.
- Turn on online banking alerts so you’ll be notified of each transaction.