There are many ways to send money electronically — from credit cards to bank transfers and apps like Venmo and Cash App. So, it’s no surprise that Facebook has jumped into the money transfer pool with Meta Pay.
Here’s what you need to know.
What Is Meta Pay?
Meta Pay, previously called Facebook Pay, is a digital payment method that can be used on websites or social media to pay for products and services. It can also be used to make charitable donations and to send money to friends and family.
How Does Meta Pay Work?
Anyone with a Facebook account — which is, well, just about anyone — can use Meta Pay. Here’s how it works:
- Add your personal information, including shipping and payment information, to the Facebook app.
- Then, as long as the merchant accepts Meta Pay, you can use it at checkout.
You can use Meta Pay to donate to charitable causes, including Facebook and Instagram fundraisers. You can also use Meta Pay to pay other people through Messenger or Instagram chat.
How To Use Meta Pay: Step by Step
Here’s a step-by-step guide of how to use Meta Pay:
- When you are checking out and see the Meta Pay button, tap it.
- You’ll be prompted to enter your payment information, shipping address and contact information.
- Once you’ve set up your first payment method, you can add additional methods.
Note that Meta Pay can be used with your PayPal account or with a debit card that has the Visa or MasterCard logo. You cannot link a credit card to your Meta Pay account.
How To Use Meta Pay on Facebook
To use Meta Pay on Facebook Marketplace, tap “Shop” and look for the message that says “Secure checkout on Facebook.” Only sellers who display this message accept Meta Pay.
You can also use Meta Pay to donate to fundraisers or charitable organizations on Facebook, and for in-game purchases on Facebook games. On a mobile device, you’ll purchase games with the payment method that’s connected to your Apple or Google Play Store account.
How To Use Meta Pay in Messenger
You can also use Meta Pay to pay people, as you would with Venmo or other peer-to-peer cash transfer apps. You can follow these steps to do so:
- Open a message with the person you want to send money to or request money from.
- Tap the plus sign (+) and then the dollar sign ($).
- Select “Get Started.”
- Put in the amount you want to request or send and tap “Next.”
- Click “Request” or “Pay.”
- If you haven’t added a debit card or linked your PayPal account, follow the instructions to do that.
If someone sends you money using Meta Pay, it will automatically be accepted if you have a PayPal account or debit card already added to Meta Pay. If you don’t have a payment method in Meta Pay yet, add one by opening the message that includes the payment and tapping “Add Debit Card.” Then follow the instructions.
How To Use Meta Pay on Instagram
You can pay for purchases or send money on Instagram using Meta Pay.
When you see a post with an item you want to buy, it will say “Buy on Instagram,” “Add to Cart” or “Buy Now” if you can pay with Meta Pay. If the product page says “View on Website” you’ll be taken to the seller’s website where you may not be able to use Meta Pay.
If you want to buy just the item you’re looking at, click “Buy Now.” If you want to keep looking before you check out, click “Add to Cart,” so you can add more items later if you want.
Look for the two red right-facing arrows (>>). Tap on the arrows and you’ll be able to pay with Meta Pay. You can also send money using Meta Pay in an Instagram chat.
Is Meta Pay Safe?
Meta, Facebook’s parent company, has come under fire for collecting and sharing personal information, so you may be wary of adding your payment details to Meta’s growing list of things they know about you.
Meta indicates that debit and credit card numbers are encrypted for security. You also have the option to create a PIN or use the biometric features on your device, like face or fingerprint recognition, to keep your information safe.
Meta Pay is another player in the growing electronic payment game, but it’s not the first and not the biggest. There are other options that are more widely accepted. But if you shop on Marketplace or Instagram, or if you want to send money to friends on Messenger, it’s worth a look.
FAQHere are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding Meta Pay.
- How do I use Meta Pay?
- You can use Meta Pay, previously known as Facebook Pay, to pay for goods and services online. Merchants that accept Meta Pay will display the option and you can use it by tapping the Meta Pay icon at checkout. You can also use it to donate to charitable causes and to pay on Facebook Marketplace. You can send money to friends and family in Messenger as well.
- To get started, you'll need to set up a Meta Pay account with a payment method -- either a debit card or a PayPal account.
- Is Facebook Pay still available?
- Facebook Pay is still available, but it's now called Meta Pay. Look for the Meta Pay logo at checkout to use it to pay for goods and services online, or to make charitable donations.
- Is Facebook Pay now Meta Pay?
- Yes. Facebook Pay is now called Meta Pay. If you previously had a Facebook Pay account it will now show up as Meta Pay.
- How long does it take to receive money from Meta Pay?
- If you have a debit card or PayPal account added to Meta Pay, the money will be transferred instantly. If you don't have a payment method, you can add one and the funds will show up right away. But your bank may take up to five business days to make the funds available in your bank account.
Information is accurate as of July 26, 2023.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.