Amazon Credit Card Review: Rewards and More
- $150 Amazon gift card bonus upon approval
- No annual fee
- High 5% cash-back rewards on Amazon and Whole Foods purchases and 10% back on select Amazon products
- Amazon Prime membership fee isn't waived
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card Overview
The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature card is issued by Chase Bank. It’s designed for Amazon shoppers in search of savings through cash-back rewards. Because it’s a Visa, you can use it anywhere Visa is accepted and earn at least 1% cash back on all purchases.
The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature card has a rating of 4.8 out of 5 from GOBankingRates. The top-performing categories are:
There is no annual fee to have an Amazon Prime Visa. However, you’ll need an Amazon Prime membership. The current fee is $14.99 per month or $139 per year. Students pay $7.49 per month or $69 per year. If you frequently shop on Amazon, the Prime membership might be worth it.
The Amazon Prime Visa has an introductory offer of 0% APR for six to 18 months on all purchases of at least $50. After the no-interest promotional period, the rate is APR.
Amazon shoppers and individuals who dine out or make plenty of fuel purchases will benefit most from the Prime Visa’s rewards structure. Prime members could receive 10% back or more on select Amazon products. All Amazon and Whole Foods purchases earn an elevated 5% cash back. Purchases from restaurants and gas stations earn 2% back. All remaining purchases have a rewards rate of 1%.
Other card benefits for Prime members include the flexibility to choose between 5% cash back or 0% APR for purchases of $50 or more made in the first 18 months. After the intro period, the rate is APR. Plus, Visa kicks in a host of travel-related benefits, including:
- No foreign transaction fees
- Travel and emergency assistance
- Lost luggage reimbursement
- Baggage delay insurance
- Travel accident insurance
- Roadside dispatch
- Auto rental collision damage waiver.
How the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card Stands Out
Prime Members will find that the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa really shines when it comes to cash-back rewards. If you regularly spend money at Whole Foods and Amazon, 5% back can really add up. Plus, select items may earn you 10% cash back or greater. If you shop strategically, you could tap into worthwhile savings through this credit card.
The easiest way to redeem your growing rewards balance is by applying it to your new Amazon purchases at checkout.
Comparable Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card Options
The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature card provides you with the best earnings power if you’re after rewards from the major retailer. Alternative cards worth considering include:
The Prime Visa Rewards card comes with a $100 gift card for Amazon purchases. Citi’s Custom Cash card gives you $200 in cash back after you spend at least $1,500 in the first six months. Similar to the Amazon Prime card, it doesn’t have an annual fee. And if you spend a lot on Amazon and Whole Foods, you could match the Prime Visa’s rewards since the highest spend category will earn 5% cash back. But if you shop somewhere else more frequently, you’ll be able to capitalize on changeable cash back opportunities.
The Discover it Cash Back card offers cardholders quarterly rotating categories that earn 5% back on the first $1,500 spent. You’ll need to activate the category first, which requires watching the bonus calendar. The good news is, the Discover it card doesn’t have an annual fee and Amazon is one of the 5% back rotating categories.
How To Apply
To apply for a Prime Rewards Visa, you’ll need to set up or sign in to your Amazon account and follow the simple application steps. You’ll be required to provide personal information including date of birth, Social Security number and more. A decision is typically reached in around 15 seconds and you can start shopping online right away with an electronic version of the credit card and the $150 gift card.
Who the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card Is Best For
The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature card is best for Prime members who shop often on Amazon and Whole Foods. You’ll earn 5% cash back on purchases, plus the opportunity to get select Amazon items for 10% back or higher in rewards. Depending on how much you spend, those cash back rewards could stack up quickly.
If you can use a credit card responsibly, you can leverage the card’s perks to your advantage. Frequent Amazon and Whole Foods shoppers can start accruing savings on their purchases which they can apply to future spending with the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature card. There’s no annual fee to have one and besides Amazon purchases, it can be used anywhere Visa is accepted.
Amazon Credit Card FAQ
- What is the minimum credit score for an Amazon card?
- Although there isn't a set minimum credit score, Amazon says you are more likely to be approved if your credit score is at least 640.
- Is the Amazon credit card a regular credit card?
- Yes, the Amazon Prime credit card is a regular credit card in the sense that you can use it for purchases anywhere Visa is accepted. Although you'll get rewarded for shopping with Amazon, you can use the credit card to make purchases elsewhere.
- What's the limit on the Amazon credit card?
- The limit on your Amazon credit card varies based on your creditworthiness and income.
- What's the difference between Amazon and Amazon Prime card?
- You can use your Amazon Prime credit card to make purchases anywhere Visa is accepted. In contrast, you can only use your Amazon store card to make purchases through Amazon.
- Can you use Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature card anywhere?
- The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature card can be used for purchases anywhere Visa is accepted.
- What is the advantage of Amazon card?
- Besides no annual fee, new cardholders receive a signup bonus of $50 for the Amazon Visa or $100 for the Amazon Prime Visa in the form of a gift card. Plus, all Amazon purchases earn an elevated 3% to 5% cash back.
- Is Prime free with the Amazon credit card?
- Prime membership is not free with the Amazon credit card. The current fee is $14.99 per month or $139 per year. Students pay $7.49 per month or $69 per year.
- Does the Amazon credit card cost anything?
- The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature card does not have an annual fee. However, membership to Amazon Prime will set you back $139 per year or $14.99 per month
Sarah Sharkey contributed to the reporting for this article.
Rates are subject to change; unless otherwise noted, rates are updated periodically. All other information on accounts is accurate as of Dec. 20, 2022.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.
The information related to the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card was collected by GOBankingRates and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this product/card. Product details may vary. Please see issuer website for current information. GOBankingRates does not receive commission for this product.